Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

5&A Dime Gumball 3000 Journey

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2008, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5&A Dime Gumball 3000 Journey (Day 7 Beijing)

Hey guys, a lot of you probably saw our Evo X MR thread in show n shine, but I thought I'd post our daily updates here in general. We've found it kinda tough to post up (especially north korea haha), but were trying our best. Here's the summary for day1:

We woke up to our 8 o'clock wake up call and took a quick peek out our hotel room window to suprisingly see our Evo X MR parked right out front. Today marked the Grand Start of the Rally, so we headed downstairs to grab a quick bite to eat and prepare for our trip down to Los Angeles.

After breakfeast, we headed over to the Main Hall for the opening Gumball 3000 meeting, which welcomed everyone and debriefed the entire trip.

The crowd outside as we headed to our car after the meeting.

We had a few last stickers to throw on the car before we headed out for the parade lap. The crowds were starting to get pretty big too.

Got to give a shout out to the folks.. They kicked down heavy for us to be able to go.

Our SE OM Flyer has been getting mad love from all the locals and supporters of the Rally. One of the questions we've been getting asked a lot is, "Why the bike?"
I wish I had a good answer for that. We just thought it looked cool.

Yo from Rogue Status giving me an earful with his megaphone.

Cuban Brothers... If you don't know who they are google it. No argyle leotard is complete without the long sleeve tassels.

One quick glance at this classic VW, and you'll think it's just another nicely restored bus....wrong! It has a turbo Porsche motor under the hood. Probably the fastest V-Dub bus you'll ever see, sleeper status.

Maximillion's Jaguar XJ220. Only 221 of these things were ever made, and they are still one of the rarest cars around. All-over print wrenches are not included.

Is that Carlton Banks? What the heck is he doing here?

Yep, I know what you're thinking. YES, that's the K.I.T.T car from Night Rider, and YES, you-know-who's driving it...

The HOFF is in the house. This flick was from the night before.. I can't believe I forgot to post it.

The crowds were starting to get huge. people for days.

One last shot of the crew before we got in our car.

All the participating cars took a parade lap around SF so everyone could get a look. It kinda reminds me of those Rally videos where the fans get way to close and get clipped.

Out of SF and into the frying pan. Our next stope was Buttonwillow Raceway. We jumped on the 101 to head down to the 58, which would take us to the track.

After we spent about an hour on the 58, we realized that we probably should have fueled up before we got on this stretch of road. About halfway down the highway, we came to the sudden realization that we were pretty much on empty. Just one small detail that anyone could forget, right?

Notice how many things are going wrong in this picture? haha

We found ourselves in the middle of no where with zero bars on our phones and zero Gumballers in sight. Bummer.

We sat around for about five minutes thinking of how screwed we were until Mike attempted to start the car again. Luckily, by some kind of miracle, it started up again. We quickly jumped back in the car and took off. Any chance Mike got, he threw into neutral and coasted .

We're actually doing close to 70mph right here straight coastin. Luckily for us the rest of the 58 was pretty much down hill
to our next stop Button Willow race track.

Unfortunately for us, we got to Buttonwillow too late to run the Evo on the track. It would have been fun to spank some exotics, but we'll have to save it for next time.

Check out the abuse we put on the intercooler already. It's defintely seen some better days.

We pretty much only had time to refuel and head straight to Hollywood. We'll try to avoid having to coast from now on.

It's not everyday you see a Sheik in a chromed out Lambo. Saves room in your bag since you don't need a mirror.

Hollywood Blvd. Rockstar status.

One last shot of the car out in front of the Kodak Theater. We had to skip the party at the Roosevelt Hotel so expect to see more pics tomorrow of day two. San Diego here we come.

Until next time...

http://www.5andadime.com/

Last edited by Mighty Healthy; Sep 2, 2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Sweeeeet!
Old Aug 13, 2008, 05:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sick! Waiting for the next update!
Old Aug 13, 2008, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

rock on brothas
Old Aug 13, 2008, 05:58 PM

i was watching a you-tube video of the GB 3000 and saw your EVO X on there a couple of times. I think you were close to a Carrera GT that the guy shooting the video liked. I also thought, "what's with the bike?". Pretty cool event, just too bad most of those guys are douche bags that have no idea how to drive.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by CoEVOX
i was watching a you-tube video of the GB 3000 and saw your EVO X on there a couple of times. I think you were close to a Carrera GT that the guy shooting the video liked. I also thought, "what's with the bike?". Pretty cool event, just too bad most of those guys are douche bags that have no idea how to drive.
Yeah, we had to leave the bike in San Diego though. There was just too much B.S. to get the bike on all our flights. So stay tuned for bike-less photos haha
Old Aug 13, 2008, 06:24 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

Looks like a ton of fun - thanks for the update.

Isn't the wind noise from the rack driving you nuts? I just put mine back on and it's bugging the hell out of me. Sucks not being able to use the spoiler.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by JWA
Looks like a ton of fun - thanks for the update.

Isn't the wind noise from the rack driving you nuts? I just put mine back on and it's bugging the hell out of me. Sucks not being able to use the spoiler.
Yeah, it did get a lil bit annoying. We took it over for the Asia leg of the tour. Thanks for the research by the way, it was your post that got us the right rack
Old Aug 13, 2008, 07:52 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mighty Healthy
Yeah, it did get a lil bit annoying. We took it over for the Asia leg of the tour. Thanks for the research by the way, it was your post that got us the right rack
Cool - happy to help .

Supposedly wrapping a bungie cord around the cross bars kills it, but it's pretty ghetto. I'm going to try changing over to their aero bar/tower setup.

Good luck with the rest of the event - and by the way, your website is awesome. Killer design and products. See, the exposure is working...
Old Aug 13, 2008, 08:15 PM
Account Disabled

I'm lost here....

Props on the Evo and participation, but North Korea? San Fran? Caprices rolling on 30s?

It's been a while since I followed it from the original Techademics stuff, but it almost seems like it's turning into a NOPI version of drag racing.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:55 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSSA
I'm lost here....

Props on the Evo and participation, but North Korea? San Fran? Caprices rolling on 30s?

It's been a while since I followed it from the original Techademics stuff, but it almost seems like it's turning into a NOPI version of drag racing.
It's not a race. It's a road rally... think of it as a road trip with lots of exotic cars and crazy parties.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:06 PM

i never knew you guys were into evos. i used to go to your shop all the time, i was actually wearing one of your shirts today... small world.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

That's pretty awesome.... hopefull I'll be able to do that someday, and meet teh Hoff...
Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Great stuff, would be a blast to be in. Maybe someday.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:52 AM
Former Vendor

Great job guys. I can't wait for updates.

If you get board on the trip you can build my website. I really like yours.

Quick Reply: 5&A Dime Gumball 3000 Journey