Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

USDM vs. JDM parts,,, What do YOU think is better???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tomatoEVO
lol dude, these guys won't get it. you'd think mitsu was an american company the way some people mod their cars. whatever the case, most of the import owners i know share the same sentiments as you and i.
What about that Hallman Boost Controller you got on your car ah.... works good doesn't it... ah....

HALLMAN IS IN CANTON OH!!!!

You gonna go take it off now.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
I am not sure what you're talking about exactly. In my experience, many of the Japanese exhausts aren't full 3" systems (even though they're advertised as such) and neck down in various places.

Perhaps some of you could read Eric Hsu's blog. He has certain viewpoints on JDM
http://jdm-insider.com/Blogs/Eric/

Sorry to hear about the OP's experience. I am a fan of the Buschur design, as it eliminates the extra weight of 2 mufflers.
lol yeah, thanks for the link. here's a nice excerpt from this blog:

these are the ignorant part of the forum participants who are way too quick to judge before they know the whole story, ride on jocks of their favorite forum tuner (Vishnu and Buschur are like David Koresh),
would describe a bunch of people on this site, quick to bash japanese stuff as 'expensive' and always insert ___ as a cheaper alternative. hilarious
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:47 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SilverEvoX
If you research a little bit several of the HKS exhausts have fitment issues on Japanese cars; case and point 350z, you can find it on the forums and I've seen it first hand on my buddies Z.

Also if you further research you'd realize that most of the American companies making exhausts that have been mentioned in this thread USE MANDREL BENDS. If you are trying to justify using JDM parts because they perform better 100% of the time simply put you are wrong.

Most people buy the JDM parts for the bling factor or just because they like the look of it, in fact I'd go so far as to say that in general especially with regards to the Evo X that the American companies all make more power on their catbacks than the Japanese companies as well as offering their consumers a true catback and not a axle back like HKS has...

Edit: Also to note if you knew anything about the American companies exhausts...you'd know they are not mass produced they are all hand welded and built to order in most cases.
depends on the product, of course. you gave me hks... is that it? if so, lol that's some research. what about mine's? amuse? arc? whatever the case, the evo is a jdm car and i really don't care to go over this 100 times with people. even the 'american' tuner i went to agrees that japanese parts are of higher quality. if you think otherwise, you're simply lying to yourself.

i ordered the amuse catback and i guarantee it's of higher quality than anything made on these shores. same goes for the arc. take it or leave it.

and to the chap who brought up my hallman mbc, hey... i never said ALL american products are crap. let's not force words
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
even the 'american' tuner i went to agrees that japanese parts are of higher quality.
Just because two people agree on something doesn't make it a fact.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

would describe a bunch of people on this site, quick to bash japanese stuff as 'expensive' and always insert ___ as a cheaper alternative. hilarious
I guess that because I am trying to say not to paint all U.S. Evo products as being bad I am anti JDM...Jeesh, Looks like I gotta take off my voltex kit, Volks etc... Anyone want a really cheap widebody?
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:54 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by zbomb
I guess that because I am trying to say not to paint all U.S. Evo products as being bad I am anti JDM...Jeesh, Looks like I gotta take off my voltex kit, Volks etc... Anyone want a really cheap widebody?
never named you, take a chill pill. so many tense folks, i'm simply having fun with this debate
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

You guys need JDM4EVER bumper stickers for your Evo's.

Its fine to have a preference to Japanese made parts, but bashing American made parts without any proof is pointless.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:57 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Just because two people agree on something doesn't make it a fact.
i'll agree to disagree then. when someone on this shore tops the work of say... JUN?
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

never named you, take a chill pill. so many tense folks, i'm simply having fun with this debate
It's guys riding high horses like you that give JDM a bad rep. Quality is quality and some folks see it differently then others. I completely agree that the Amuse and ARC exhausts are beautiful, No doubt...Does everyone need to pay turbo kit prices for their exhaust...No. Will a BR/AMS/ETS exhaust make around the same if not more power, I'd be willing to bet so. If power is what your looking for and not beauty you'd be sill to pay thousands for a cat back. Different strokes for different folks.

The pics the OP posted looks like the exhaust is hanging lower than the pics in the link I posted. I would suggest he contacts JRod and let him know.

Last edited by zbomb; Aug 13, 2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

depends on the product, of course. you gave me hks... is that it? if so, lol that's some research. what about mine's? amuse? arc? whatever the case, the evo is a jdm car and i really don't care to go over this 100 times with people. even the 'american' tuner i went to agrees that japanese parts are of higher quality. if you think otherwise, you're simply lying to yourself.

i ordered the amuse catback and i guarantee it's of higher quality than anything made on these shores. same goes for the arc. take it or leave it.

and to the chap who brought up my hallman mbc, hey... i never said ALL american products are crap. let's not force words
I'm sorry but North America (besides PR) puts out the fastest imports in the world. We also make the best parts including shops like, but not limited or in any order, BUSCHUR, AMS, FULL RACE, AFI, ETS, Forced Performance etc... JDM companies do make nice products, that fit very well, but to sit here and speak of them as kind is kind of foolish.

-Most JDM exhausts are NOT full 3" or do NOT have 3" mufflers
-The HKS Hi Power exhaust for example is MILD STEEL and rusts
-Jdm evo turbo kits are nothing to make a big deal about. The best JDM kits wouldnt hold a candle to the FP red, which is a stock FRAME turbo!!!!
-Intercooler kits??? Tube and fin??? put that up against Buschur's race core and see what happened
-Cams??? JUN is the only company to speak of, what about GSC, Buschur, Cosworth (from Europe but still NOT JDM)
-Computers??? not necessarily USDM, but Motec and Hydra are 2 of the best. AEM is obviously a USDM company. Show me some 1000+hp evos on power FC or HKS F con.

Japanese companies are more about how things look then perform. All the body kits and rims and stuff like that comes from there. Dont get me wrong, the cyber evo was R&D'd heavily for its hood and so on, BUT I bet it still couldnt compete with AMS's TA1 car. I bet if AMS was More into circuit racing, they could develop body parts that would be far more superior then whats available now

-Steve
Evolving Member

3" lift kit should remedy this problem easily.
Evolved Member

I would agree it does depend on the product. HKS I'm sure is not the only one but it's the first one I could think of off hand without looking into it further that I knew for sure had fitment issues on other JDM cars and I also stated that you should further research the American exhaust products before you completely bash them all as crap since clearly you had mis-information about many of them.

I wouldn't debat that the Amuse is higher quality than the other catbacks mentioned...at least in appearance...but I'd be highly suprised if it could best the American catbacks in the performance department. The Amuse exhaust looks great for sure and the quality is top knotch.

I just don't like seeing people bash on products that they really know nothing about because that gives off the wrong portrayal to those that come into the situation having zero knowledge about which exhausts to chose and if they read a thread stating all the American catbacks are trash and JDM is the only way to go they might make a hasty decision without weighing all of the viable options availabe to the consumer and might end up regretting their decision.

BACK ON TOPIC,

Man that exhaust looks like it sits a little low for sure, I guess it's just the nature of the speed bumps that is giving you troubles, the car is sort of "high centering" on the lower sectin of the muffler on those wide speed bumps. I would presume that if you hit them at an angle you shouldn't have any more clearance issues even with people in the back seat if you're going slow enough.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
when someone on this shore tops the work of say... JUN?
Let's just say we're workin' on that
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
And your judging that off what? You need to do a little reading before you go and say something else as stupid as what you said above. Both sides of the world make good products, But to say a blanket statement like above is ignorant...You my friend need to get a clue.

don't feed the troll. he's just trying to bait you...
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Wow! Noway Ur Car Must Be Jacked Bc Ive Had Mine For 66 Months N Im In Maine N Ive Never Ever Scraped On Anything Even Innthe Snow

Quick Reply: USDM vs. JDM parts,,, What do YOU think is better???