Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

USDM vs. JDM parts,,, What do YOU think is better???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
China is not JDM.

JDM is motly dead. Since you can get better performance most of the time from USDM parts. And the evo is made completely in Japan, so really it is what 95% JDM!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dafarmer69
Most of my leds come from china, but I custom fit them or redesign them to the certain applications.

So I guess I am part jdm and part usdm. In the end both are good, but I am better.

Conundrem?

Farmer-If I get lead poisining from handling the LED's....I'm so coming after you!
Where's the reverse lights at? (Rockjock here....)

Buy Canadian-Ultimate Racing FTW!
Stick to USDM-shipping, fit gaurentee, local reps that can answer the ?'s for you-we all bought Evo's to look different and get noticed-we dont need to draw anymore attention, do we?
USDM FTMFW!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

an aftermarket part is an aftermarket part. doesn't really matter where it was made if it offers the same performance. the only people truly concerned about name brands are the ones that are looking to show off (which isn't a bad thing, it just has to do with your goals with the car).
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

For the "me too" kinds of products, I think it's pretty irrelevant if it's USDM or JDM. The "me too" products are the things that can be fabricated by basically anyone with some expereince, some tools, some brains, some initiative, and a welder. IE: exhaust systems, intake tubes, intercooler tubes, strut tower bars, intercoolers, etc.

More engineered parts seem to come out of Japan for Japanese cars, and I suspect the only reason is because Japan has larger companies that service the Japanese made cars. Engineered parts would be most large castings, moldings, parts requiring metallurgy or tribology, advanced analysis, etc. There aren't *many* companies in the USA supporting the market that get involved with these types of products for Japanese cars.

You compare engineered parts for US domestic cars, and all the big US companies have more offerings for domestics. IE: Edelbrock, Holley, World Products, MSD, etc, while the big Japanese companies mostly don't get into the market for engineered parts for US domestic vehicles.

So, in my opinion, who is the better parts manufacturer depends on both the part category and location.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tomatoEVO
it's comical. number one, i know damn well what country ecutek is out of. i never said each and every japanese product is superior to any other country. but to sit here and say the stuff made in america is nicer than in japan? give me a friggin break. show me an intake with the craftsmanship and functionality of the gruppe-m system. show me proof that any american evo x will take the JUN. show me a better designed exhaust than the amuse. show me suspension parts better than cusco.

you name one hks exhaust and you think that's the end all be all? to say that all japanese companies care more about looks than performance, lol come on... you cannot be serious. talk about sweeping generalizations. again, not all jdm parts are superior.

you mad that i put jdm next to parts in my sig? sounds like a personal problem to me. and for the record, i am no ricer.

HAHAHAHA, OK riceboy, heres the FACTS once again:

1. Yes parts made here from the BEST companies are WAY niver then parts mdae in Japan.

2. Gruppe-M??? You want better Funcionality? A simple 4" pipe and Filter made by AMS, Buschur, anyone seem to work great and produce massive amounts of power on bigger turbo cars

3. Since we got the evo X about 6 months after Japan did, I think its fair to give shops like AMS, buschur, etc... some time to build a TA car. But I'd put $$$$ that the AMS TA1 would destroy the JUN evo 9.

4. Amuse exhaust is O so great? Why? because it has 75 welds??? Look at Buschur, ETS or AMS exhaust, 3", straight as possible. What more can you want, why is the Amuse "designed" better? Because it has rainbow colors on it???

5. Cusco suspension? How about KW??? or Ohlins??? who woulda thought that germany and Sweden would put some of the best suspension in the world.

You want a sweeping generalization??? here you go. the USA has the fastest imports in the world. If a car is sold here in the masses, we have the fastest. In the 1/4, circuit, whatever you want. Is there someone with a bugatti veyron with meth injection from dubai beating every other veyron? probably. But the USA/PR has the fastest civics, 240's, EVOS, STi's, supras, 3000gt's, etc... and we're miles ahead of the Japanese. They make flame tipped titanium exhausts that cost 3000$ and we make 600$ stainless exhausts that support 900whp.

Why dont you explain to me why you thing JDM parts are so far more superior???
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:55 AM
Account Disabled

USDM can be just as good but cost less because of lower production cost. Everything cost more in Japan, even the crappy stuff.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dafarmer69
Most of my leds come from china, but I custom fit them or redesign them to the certain applications.

So I guess I am part jdm and part usdm. In the end both are good, but I am better.

Conundrem?
The conundrum is since when were you under the impression China and Japan were the same Country?

Scorke
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RuckerPark
damn.. that sucks..

And this is why I only buy Japanese brand exhaust systems such as Greddy/Trust, HKS, Tanabe, Apex'i, or Blitz
His statement was referring to this thread.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=363431

Just thought I'd point that out

Personally, I have installed and de-installed many many exhaust systems of our customers cars, whether its domestic made or JDM..

I know who makes better products and I will keep it to myself

But I will tell you if you ask me kindly

Last edited by Speed Element; Aug 14, 2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

There is no doubt that JDM parts are better than USDM parts. If USDM parts were better than JDM parts, how come major popularity of people from other countries, except Japan, prefer Greddy or HKS instead of Buschur? Bigger and JDM international-wide companies asset>Buschur/AMS. Therefore, mathmatically, they have more time and money to invest in a better outcome/product. Something logical if you have common sense.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech

5. Cusco suspension? How about KW??? or Ohlins??? who woulda thought that germany and Sweden would put some of the best suspension in the world.
OHLIN and Aragosta coilovers are researched, developed, and manufactuered in Japan w/ Japanese engineers

They are not made in Sweden or Italy. They just bare their mother's name

They are JDM.. lol

KW = made in Germany for sure.

Just want to let you aware
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:29 PM
Former Sponsor

I just think this thread sucks and FAILED miserably

Its all fueled by Nationalism or Patriotism.. whatever..
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Speed Element
I just think this thread sucks and FAILED miserably

Its all fueled by Nationalism or Patriotism.. whatever..
some people got shut down immediately after your response/explanation. Wonder why
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech
HAHAHAHA, OK riceboy, heres the FACTS once again:

You want a sweeping generalization??? here you go. the USA has the fastest imports in the world. If a car is sold here in the masses, we have the fastest. In the 1/4, circuit, whatever you want. Is there someone with a bugatti veyron with meth injection from dubai beating every other veyron? probably. But the USA/PR has the fastest civics, 240's, EVOS, STi's, supras, 3000gt's, etc... and we're miles ahead of the Japanese. They make flame tipped titanium exhausts that cost 3000$ and we make 600$ stainless exhausts that support 900whp.

Why dont you explain to me why you thing JDM parts are so far more superior???
Uhh he does have a point...Perfect example is the supra, we have the worlds fastest 6speed supra WOTM and regular supra, titan motorsports. The only car the AUssies beat us is the Skyline because we don't have it here in masses. I believe PR has the fastest Rx-7 and we also have the fastest civic. American Cars forget it...no ones touching us with Mustangs..
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 500hpOnPumpEvo
Uhh he does have a point...Perfect example is the supra, we have the worlds fastest 6speed supra WOTM and regular supra, titan motorsports. The only car the AUssies beat us is the Skyline because we don't have it here in masses. I believe PR has the fastest Rx-7 and we also have the fastest civic. American Cars forget it...no ones touching us with Mustangs..
Now, the question towards your comment is that what is the probability of having that same quality in parts from "titan motorsports"? Are those products in easy access to the public(price/supply)? Aren't we talking about "PRODUCTS/PARTS" that is to the public?!?! No one said US automobile engineers arent as good as Japanese engineers. AMS, Buschur, ETS, and etc are all known-engineers. BUT, how many people are really willing/able to pay for their "FASTEST CAR BUILDING" products? Not everybody.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kim.ry
Now, the question towards your comment is that what is the probability of having that same quality in parts from "titan motorsports"? Are those products in easy access to the public(price/supply)? Aren't we talking about "PRODUCTS/PARTS" that is to the public?!?! No one said US automobile engineers arent as good as Japanese engineers. AMS, Buschur, ETS, and etc are all known-engineers. BUT, how many people are really willing/able to pay for their "FASTEST CAR BUILDING" products? Not everybody.
I dont understand your argument now, people are less willing / less able to pay for american "Fastest Car Building" products, and yet its common knowledge that JDM parts cost more?

Its quite rediculous also that you assume NO american made part can match the quality of a JDM part. Have you ever seen a Titan piece, probably not, but because its not JDM it obviously of a lesser quality.

There is no nationalism driving my thoughts, I can actually admit that many JDM parts are very popular and of a very high quality. However, that same build quality can be reproduced in any country, not just Japan.

JDM fan boys.

Last edited by CAD EVO; Aug 14, 2008 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: USDM vs. JDM parts,,, What do YOU think is better???