Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

USDM vs. JDM parts,,, What do YOU think is better???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
both has a good parts and bad parts.
you can't say it like the JDM or the DSM parts are generally better.
Most important thing is which company you buying from, and don't do miss match with your parts.
that's it.
Do a research about your goal, what do you need to do and buy to achive that, then pick the parts from respectable company or companies.
You should be fine then.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 04:59 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in Japan and actually have quite a few USDM parts on my car now. I've lived in Japan for quite a while and was used to the quality of the JDM parts.

This is the first time I have ever used any USDM parts on car. When I ordered the USDM parts I wasn't too sure what to expect for the quality since the pricing was around half of the price of JDM parts. I have heard good comments about USDM parts so I decided to give it a try. When I recieved the parts, to tell you the truth, I was a little disappointed with some of the quality and packaging.

First of all some of my intake piping was bent out of shape, looks like some one stepped on it, the inlet on one of them was an oval shape. When I looked in the inner side of the intake piping there were alot of lumps and burrs from welding. It also looked like they tried to clean some of it up with a die grinder but it slipped out of their hand and it put gouges all around the inner side of the pipe. One huge lump of weld was right in front of the MAF sensor and I was sure it would throw off my MAF readings so I actually had to take my own die grinder to clean up the mess. Some of the gouges were so deep, I couldn't clean it up. The pipes may look good from the outside, but they sure didn't on the inside. I have never seen any JDM piping with lumps or gouges on the inside.

About 5% of my intercooler fins were bent and the core & tanks looked like it was sitting in the rain for about 2 months before they shipped it, I guess I was just used to the polished JDM intercoolers with 0% bent fins.

My metal cat had some pin holes on the welding and they forgot to attach the wideband bung that I ordered. Also, since it was a catalytic converter, I didn't expect it to throw a CEL but I was wrong, I had to purchase a CEL fix for it.

Please note that I am not bashing these products, I am pretty satisfied with my purchase since they were much cheaper than JDM parts. This is just my personal experience with JDM vs USDM parts. I also believe that the US has great customer service, if I were in the US, I probably would have gotten an exchange for all these damaged or unsatisfactory parts. I just think that the Japanese take a little bit more pride in their craftmanship and that may be the factor for the higher prices.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tomatoEVO
why don't you 'look' for a dyno sheet then. gruppe m has one on their website. btw, i own the product if you didn't already know, and can attest that it's a work of art. as dtm's owner said, it's the kind of product you can't get on these shores. the functionality and craftsmanship are on another level.

most of these people have never seen these products, as speed element said. a 'simple pipe and filter' does NOT match the efficiency and quality of the gruppe m carbon intake.

O.K. I have reviewed the dyno plot. First, considering the baseline vehicle made 342.2 ft/lb torque and 311hp I would assume that they are using a moon dyno, a vehicle that is already modified, or an FQ360... can't tell because they do not provide ANY information on the model or modification status of the test vehicle.

I'll over look that because as SpeedElement alluded to anyone can manipulate dyno number for the sake of marketing. So, giving them the bennefit of the doubt lets do a little math. They reported a gain of 26.43 hp and 15.84 ft/lb. So that would be 64.3 us dollars per hp gained assuming you paid the advertised price of $1,700 US Dollars.

If your fine with that and happy with the money you spent thats great, good for you.

In my opinion though, not only would that intake have to provide oral favors on a daily basis, but it would also have to wash and wax the car every week to justify spending $64 per hp gained.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by SiC
I live in Japan and actually have quite a few USDM parts on my car now. I've lived in Japan for quite a while and was used to the quality of the JDM parts.

This is the first time I have ever used any USDM parts on car. When I ordered the USDM parts I wasn't too sure what to expect for the quality since the pricing was around half of the price of JDM parts. I have heard good comments about USDM parts so I decided to give it a try. When I recieved the parts, to tell you the truth, I was a little disappointed with some of the quality and packaging.

First of all some of my intake piping was bent out of shape, looks like some one stepped on it, the inlet on one of them was an oval shape. When I looked in the inner side of the intake piping there were alot of lumps and burrs from welding. It also looked like they tried to clean some of it up with a die grinder but it slipped out of their hand and it put gouges all around the inner side of the pipe. One huge lump of weld was right in front of the MAF sensor and I was sure it would throw off my MAF readings so I actually had to take my own die grinder to clean up the mess. Some of the gouges were so deep, I couldn't clean it up. The pipes may look good from the outside, but they sure didn't on the inside. I have never seen any JDM piping with lumps or gouges on the inside.

About 5% of my intercooler fins were bent and the core & tanks looked like it was sitting in the rain for about 2 months before they shipped it, I guess I was just used to the polished JDM intercoolers with 0% bent fins.

My metal cat had some pin holes on the welding and they forgot to attach the wideband bung that I ordered. Also, since it was a catalytic converter, I didn't expect it to throw a CEL but I was wrong, I had to purchase a CEL fix for it.

Please note that I am not bashing these products, I am pretty satisfied with my purchase since they were much cheaper than JDM parts. This is just my personal experience with JDM vs USDM parts. I also believe that the US has great customer service, if I were in the US, I probably would have gotten an exchange for all these damaged or unsatisfactory parts. I just think that the Japanese take a little bit more pride in their craftmanship and that may be the factor for the higher prices.
as much as i agree with you a most part, you cant deny AMS quality. As many parts i see from them i didn't see any issue with those.
For sure they are the expensive ones in the US , but i think they are the best also.
Not to start fire in this thread , but if we compere the best to the best in quality , i think the Japanese parts will be a winner hands down.

BUT for the same price as the AMS cost, not so many parts from JDM can show the same quality finish and performance.
This is my opinion.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

why isnt this thread locked?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 05:34 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
as much as i agree with you a most part, you cant deny AMS quality. As many parts i see from them i didn't see any issue with those.
For sure they are the expensive ones in the US , but i think they are the best also.
Not to start fire in this thread , but if we compere the best to the best in quality , i think the Japanese parts will be a winner hands down.

BUT for the same price as the AMS cost, not so many parts from JDM can show the same quality finish and performance.
This is my opinion.
Maybe I just had a bad apple, but the inner sides were . If any of you have one, please look at the inside where the blow off valve bung is, also where the MAF attachment is welded on, and the main pipe that is welded onto the second portion (before the large bend). Mine had weld lumps, burrs, and gouges all over those areas. Also the portion that the airfilter attaches to was bent like someone stepped on it or put too much pressure on it while holding it down or something. If mine is the only one with these problems, then maybe mine was welded by some drunk guy working for 20 hrs straight.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

LOL its not locked because this is all the junk that was cleaned out of my thread yesterday...

This is a simple junk thread, plain and simple. there will never be a winner.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 05:42 PM

Ibtl

IBTL
Old Aug 14, 2008, 05:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SiC

Manufacturers and Vendors take notes
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
O.K. I have reviewed the dyno plot. First, considering the baseline vehicle made 342.2 ft/lb torque and 311hp I would assume that they are using a moon dyno, a vehicle that is already modified, or an FQ360... can't tell because they do not provide ANY information on the model or modification status of the test vehicle.

I'll over look that because as SpeedElement alluded to anyone can manipulate dyno number for the sake of marketing. So, giving them the bennefit of the doubt lets do a little math. They reported a gain of 26.43 hp and 15.84 ft/lb. So that would be 64.3 us dollars per hp gained assuming you paid the advertised price of $1,700 US Dollars.

If your fine with that and happy with the money you spent thats great, good for you.

In my opinion though, not only would that intake have to provide oral favors on a daily basis, but it would also have to wash and wax the car every week to justify spending $64 per hp gained.
I think we are all too caught up looking at the peak # gained on majority of the products on the market (if there's dyno plot). However, .we often forget to look at the gain under the curve. But thats on another subject..

IMHO, the reason why Gruppe-M products are expensive has their own few reasons. I want to say they mark up their products so high to prevent other knock-off companies from buying and copying.

If you look at their website, they only cater to a certain high end vehicles.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:18 PM
Account Disabled

yeap. gruppe m makes products for porsches, ferraris, aston, etc.. not just jdm vehicles. the weight of the intake is what surprised me the most, really really light. and they include a carbon radiator cover too, pretty safe to say they go all out. with a tune and the gruppe m, i gained 60whp at dtm. fact.

again, i have had usdm products on previous cars, and i have usdm products on the x. not every usdm part is inferior, and not every jdm part is great.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

this thread sucks but i do agree when comparing products, companies etc you always need to compare best's with best's... everyone INCLUDING USDM and JDM has there down sides.

IMHO AMS, BUSCH and co are top notch and when you look at their work you know they have all the goods Passion, Commitment and Pride but then you also can say the same about the JDM companies. Either way i think both benefit from eachothers developement. EITHER WAY WE ALL WIN!!! so who cares!!!!!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by joyce1bro
this thread sucks but i do agree when comparing products, companies etc you always need to compare best's with best's... everyone INCLUDING USDM and JDM has there down sides.

IMHO AMS, BUSCH and co are top notch and when you look at their work you know they have all the goods Passion, Commitment and Pride but then you also can say the same about the JDM companies. Either way i think both benefit from eachothers developement. EITHER WAY WE ALL WIN!!! so who cares!!!!!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

by the way someone made a comment about Australia having the fastest GTR..

CORRECTION: New Zealand does!!