Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2008, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got the ETS Dual Exhaust

Old Aug 16, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ams Ftw

Originally Posted by jamdread
ditto on the ams dual
+1 for AMS dual . Final (weight) numbers aren't out yet but it shouldn't be tons heavier because they kept the piping single all the way back to the muffler, so it's more of a "dual outlet" exhaust than a "true dual". The sound will be user tunable as mentioned earlier and they are also toying with interchangable tips as well. I like choice in case you hadnt noticed
Old Aug 17, 2008, 02:45 PM

Ah no we don't have a sportscar The S2000 is a sportscar the Evo is a sports sedan it has four doors and the top is welded shut

stock exhaust sounds lame. We have a sportscar, we need it to sound like a sportscar hence replacing stock exhaust. As an added bonus you get some more horsepower
Old Aug 17, 2008, 04:20 PM
Account Disabled

i dont like that ETS exhaust.. looks funny.. the tips sit to low.. need to up closer to the bumper!!!
Old Aug 17, 2008, 05:38 PM

stock exhaust sounds lame. We have a sportscar, we need it to sound like a sportscar hence replacing stock exhaust. As an added bonus you get some more horsepower
The problem I have with the majority of "after-market" exhausts that many have that "fart can" look to them with the characteristic noise pattern it releases. IMHO.... it gives the car the "ricer" look to it. I say upgrade the turbo, change the air intake, install a test pipe, get a custom tune....... and that should be waaaaay more horsepower and torque needed for the vast majority of us! Leave the
"ricing up" to the Honda's, Subaru's, Toyota's etc. Again, just my opinion and I know not a popular one!
Old Aug 17, 2008, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by switchblade906
i got the ETS Dual Exhaust

now that looks cool
Old Aug 17, 2008, 10:24 PM
Account Disabled

i think im gonna get the HKS axle back..not something too loud not something too quiet..
Old Aug 17, 2008, 10:29 PM

This thread fails! You're gonna get opinions all over the place.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 10:32 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

I like the stock exhaust's sound at high revs, but there's a fair amount of drone at highway speeds. Do any of the aftermarket setups sound better than stock when hard on the gas, but drone less when cruising?
Old Aug 18, 2008, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kimletrim
This thread fails! You're gonna get opinions all over the place.
well you can ignore those who don't explain why he got his. Like the XX company a best, posts.
And just read the different explanations , and you can come up with yours. You might get some point you dont think about it before.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice pics of the ETS exhaust installed, that's what I recently put on my car and I'll do a full review after it's been on the car for a week with sound clips/video hopefully.

Originally Posted by ggevoIX
i dont like that ETS exhaust.. looks funny.. the tips sit to low.. need to up closer to the bumper!!!
The height is adustable on the slotted brackets supplied and based on the pictures he could go up another inch or so. The ETS and Buschur definitely have their own sound to them, either is a good exhaust with slight HP advantage going to the Buschur from what I've seen so far on the dynos this weekend. The ETS has a little better under car clearance which may be an issue if you have epic speed bumps and a lowered car.

The ETS Dual catback with UR Mini-Muffler is decent on sound control, but I couldn't imagine driving around with a full test pipe so it's right on the edge of being too loud for me. Driving at lower speeds around town it's totally fine at lower RPM's but wakes up when on the throttle. Highway speeds at 65-70 MPH it's very liveable but 75 MPH you can start hearing that drone from the engine and 80 MPH is right at the limits. I blame our 3750 RPM @ 80 MPH final drive ratio and you will get a good 2-4 MPG better gas mileage if you can slow down to the 65- 70 range anyways.

The problem is that even with the stock exhaust, after putting in the AMS front motor mount it was already getting quite loud from the engine bay area so I'm not sure any exhaust would be able to contain the noise the engine is producing. I may swap back the stock motor mount to verify the difference it is making. I also have a UR 3" Downpipe and it could very well be adding to the noise from the engine area at highway speeds.

While at first glance some may think this thread is useless, but those that are researching the exhausts can form their own opinions from the direct experiences of those that already have the exhausts.

Last edited by Hiboost; Aug 18, 2008 at 07:02 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 09:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Thanks for the help Chris! You basically covered it, but yes the tip location in the bumper cutout is completely adjustable laterally as well as vertically. We do this to allow for personal preference with regard to aesthetics, rather than stick you with what we think looks best

We use dual 2.5" rear sections because twin 2.5" piping has the equivalent volume of 3.8" piping, and given that, more flow won't be necessary until 700whp+ (at which point you can opt for our 3.5" ). The merge collector design and dual 2.5" exits also allows for great ground clearance which comes at a premium on Xs as many of you already know

Tom
Old Aug 18, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2kvette
The problem I have with the majority of "after-market" exhausts that many have that "fart can" look to them with the characteristic noise pattern it releases. IMHO.... it gives the car the "ricer" look to it. I say upgrade the turbo, change the air intake, install a test pipe, get a custom tune....... and that should be waaaaay more horsepower and torque needed for the vast majority of us! Leave the
"ricing up" to the Honda's, Subaru's, Toyota's etc. Again, just my opinion and I know not a popular one!
Not surprising coming from a vette enthusiast, but people need to stop stereotyping import style. The reason the mufflers look the way they do is because they're cannister-style mufflers as opposed to a muffler like a flowmaster which is just a typical slim, oval-style unit. You can piece together an exhaust using custom mufflers from magnaflow that don't look like "fart cans", but some people prefer the cannister-type mufflers. And the sound is going to be very similar whether you use a cannister muffler or a more subtle one like the custom maganflows. The VOLUME of the exhaust might go down some, but the TONE and PITCH will be the same; thats just how it is with imports. Not to mention, none of the other car communities you listed like ricers. Nobody likes ricers, and you can't classify somebody as a ricer for having aftermarket exhausts like ETS, AMS, Magnaflow, Buschur, those are quality parts. Lastly, a competent tuner would advise you to upgrade the exhaust when doing an upgraded turbo, intake, tune etc.

If you don't want your car to sound like an import, don't drive an import.

-Chris
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the informative reply........ I appreciate & respect!