Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

I am THIS close to getting an X, but I have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am THIS close to getting an X, but I have a few questions

OK, so heres the story. I've been looking into the X for a couple months now, and I really like it. There is a WW GSR w/ SSS, Navi, Aero & Sport Interior Pkg. at a local dealer that I am completely in love with.

I will be trading in my 05 Jeep V8 GC which I have had a ton of problems with that has cost me a lot of money. Absolute crap quality. Now there are some new issues that needs fixing (might cost me another grand at least), but I just wanna trade the thing in instead of fixing it. Basically the engine makes some sounds it shouldnt, and they come from inside the engine compartment. Plus its a gas hog.

So, I really wanna trade it in. I want a fast & fun car with absolute killer looks, and AWD. It has to do good on snow because I'll use it to the mountains to go skiing. Speaking of which: How is the X on snow?
Also, is it possible to flip down the rearseat handrest so that I can stick a pair of skis through from the trunk? I heard the trunk is small but if I can stick stuff through that hole then I'm sure it will be fine.

I won't be getting anything costing more than 40k. I've been looking around for alternatives, but the X seems like the best one so far. Mainly because of power for money plus superior AWD, and nice sound & navi system.

All info and advice (in all aspects) here is greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 15, 2008, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

No flipping the seat....shes where she stays. Okay in snow-depends on the tires you get (get snows for sure-needed them here in Mpls). Look at the X, a cheapy 3 series X or an STi....I threw that last one in to get people going
Most importantly-ditch the Jeep.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

ski rack, no flipping the seat, you might be able to remove the upper part of the seat and get some skies through. Great in the snow!
Old Aug 15, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 08EvoXGSR
No flipping the seat....shes where she stays. Okay in snow-depends on the tires you get (get snows for sure-needed them here in Mpls). Look at the X, a cheapy 3 series X or an STi....I threw that last one in to get people going
Heh thanks. I wouldn't mind hearing people's experiences with Jeep. Won't be getting an STi, but been looking at BMWs.. So you're saying I'm gonna need winter tires for sure? I was thinking about getting a set of snow tires, putting them on the stock wheels, and getting rid of the stock tires. And then get a new set of 19" wheels with new fat tires for non-winter driving. I will of course not be dropping it, it's low enough with the aero kit..

Oh, and yeah it will be mostly a daily driver, in all sorts of conditions. My only car. I might take it to the track sometime, but I am no racedriver.

thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2008, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Deepseadiver
ski rack, no flipping the seat, you might be able to remove the upper part of the seat and get some skies through. Great in the snow!
OK so a ski rack is possible, no big deal? No way to flip that middle seat huh, that sucks.. How is the trunk spacewise in general? Can I fit a couple midsized bags in there?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

You could get a middle size bag in there, and an odd shaped one with it. Not a lot in there-height it reduced a lot (thats the biggie), I have the sub-that kills 6"-and at its deepest, its, what, 20"?
Ski rack, yes....but I would plan on having a seat open when you travel with others!
Old Aug 15, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Yep that is what most people do including myself. Throwing on some snows or all seasons for winter (depending on how harsh your winters are). Getting some 19's in the Spring for summer but remember to factor in some TPMS sensors for the new wheels as well as a shop to switch over the ECM to recognize them every spring and fall. This car is a blast to drive especially with a few mods added to the mix. Well worth it. You'll never go back to a Jeep again.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 08EvoXGSR
Just get a ski rack and call it good. That's what I did with the 8. It only cost a few hundred.

Unless you get wicked crazy snow (I'm talking insane) All-seasons will be fine, I lasted here in the Evo for 2 years with all seasons. The first year I had Blizzaks, they were great, but ultimately not worth it. So unless the X's AWD is worse than the VIII, you should be fine unless CO is crazier than I think.

Look at the STi for sure, the seats fold down completely, you could fit an entire ski store inside, and still have room for a couch!

The 3 series are nice, if you wanna fork up the dough for a 335xi. Otherwise they're in a different league than the Evo (power).
Old Aug 15, 2008, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

OK thanks. So the stock tires should do fine, or will I need to swap them for some decent allrounders?
I wont be looking at a hatchback, its out of the question. And the 3s arent really what I'm looking for. I'm too young for those
Old Aug 15, 2008, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrackaBoi
OK thanks. So the stock tires should do fine, or will I need to swap them for some decent allrounders?
I wont be looking at a hatchback, its out of the question. And the 3s arent really what I'm looking for. I'm too young for those
Under no circumstances do you want to run the stock advan's in the snow (or even remotely freezing temperatures).
Old Aug 15, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Alexander
Under no circumstances do you want to run the stock advan's in the snow (or even remotely freezing temperatures).
Hmmm, ok so they are for warm weather huh. I guess I'll keep them on until winter gets here and then swap asap, yes?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Please, don't get a set of suck-in-all-seasons. I've made that mistake and regret it. Just get the cheapest quality snows you can afford.

Also, the Lancer Ralliart may be an option since it has a ski pass through. Only SST transmission though and not the complete Evo package.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 03:34 PM

There is a thin piece of material when you flip down the rear armrest. you would have to remove that.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

^ Must've gotten some ****ty *** all-seasons. I loved mine for everything but the track, and the r-compounds/slicks were for that. Sure, they didn't grip as insane as snow tires in snow, or as insane as summer tires in dry, but they were cheaper than both, lasted longer than both, and did me and my canyon drives just fine.

Now I use snow tires, but only because of the car. Do NOT buy the cheapest quality snow tires you can afford, unless you can afford ones that are good enough to be considered "quality." That's like saying pay for the cheapest surgery you can afford. Yeah, only if your affordability nets you a decent surgeon.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alexander
Oh yeah, and definitely what this guy says. The cars should come with a warning "Your tires were put on the car so we could win magazine reviews, under no circumstances should they be considered anything other than barely DOT legal r-compounds"

They grip like crazy in the dry, and pretty good in the wet. But cold temps come around, and you're driving on skis.

Quick Reply: I am THIS close to getting an X, but I have a few questions