Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

explain the awd system btw EVO X and STI

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2008, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
explain the awd system btw EVO X and STI

I am new to both cars. which has superior AWD.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

I'm pretty positive that because of S-AWC the Evo's is far superior.

But that may depend on what you consider superior awd.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Neither is superior to the other. Both have their advantages and disadvantages depending on the situation.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 02:29 PM

I have read this about the sti http://www.iwsti.com/forums/technica...reat-info.html

is there any technical stuff about the evo x's awd
Old Aug 15, 2008, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
the sti you set it up. the evo does it for you.
Which one is better on calculations , the avarage driver brain or the computer?
You can really screw up the settings in the STI vs the Evo.
and this is just one difference.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

EVO is surperior so to speak but alot of drivers will never push the car that much that it needs to kick in a hell of a lot,

STI is fine for the general populus
Old Aug 15, 2008, 03:19 PM

EVO X has more computer control, and as mentioned does a lot of work for you. im a die hard subaru fan. ive been driving them since '01. after driving the new sti and new evo x i was floored by how much better the x handled when pushing the car hard.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Damon_Chambers
EVO X has more computer control, and as mentioned does a lot of work for you. im a die hard subaru fan. ive been driving them since '01. after driving the new sti and new evo x i was floored by how much better the x handled when pushing the car hard.
This came from an STI guy so it should answer your question. I have never driven an STI so I can't be of much help but I love how the X handles it's like nothing else.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subaru is superior, remember symetrical baby, lol.

They are pretty similar. Reality is both cars are so close in performance that pretty much if i was you, i would pick the one i looks best to you. Best of luck. Sorry i can't get too technical on the subject.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

The Evo X has an ACD (active center differential) which automatically distributes the power from front to rear as needed. The STI has a DCCD (driver controlled center differential) which, by the way, also has an automatic mode that is similar to the Evo's ACD but possibly (as some have claimed) is not as "good."

Stock for stock -- the Evo is better handeling and faster through the slalom and around the track. But once you start modding and tuning the suspension, alignment, better tires... they're both very close. I've seen the win go back and forth depending on the setup and the driver.

Just depends on your preference. I'm an Evo fan obviously. Otherwise I'd be driving a Subaru.

Last edited by Evo_Someday; Aug 15, 2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
I'm pretty positive that because of S-AWC the Evo's is far superior.

But that may depend on what you consider superior awd.
+100
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
The Evo X has an ACD (active center differential) which automatically distributes the power from front to rear as needed. The STI has a DCCD (driver controlled center differential) which, by the way, also has an automatic mode that is similar to the Evo's ACD but possibly (as some have claimed) is not as "good."

Stock for stock -- the Evo is better handeling and faster through the slalom and around the track. But once you start modding and tuning the suspension, alignment, better tires... they're both very close. I've seen the win go back and forth depending on the setup and the driver.

Just depends on your preference. I'm an Evo fan obviously. Otherwise I'd be driving a Subaru.
I believe you are mistaken about how the ACD works. IIRC it is just a limited slip diff that can vary the amount of slip allowed, but is a fixed 50/50 torque split. The Sti can actually vary the torque split. To change the split in an X, you have to buy a new gearset like the 35/65 they sell for the VIII/IX.

The X does have an active rear diff though, which does shift the torque left and right. I believe Honda/Acura's SH-AWD or whatever it is called has an active rear diff, and Saab has a limited production car coming out (but probably not here) that has one. BMW's X6 supposedly has one, though I have not verified that. Rumors abound about Ferraris getting them in the future... It is still rare, but it is no longer unique.

So basically, the X's rear is like the Sti's center, but the Sti's rear is not as sophisticated as the X's center... so I would say the X has more gizmos, if that is what you think equates to better.

According to the magazines, Sti is better in dirt and X on tarmac, but I have not driven either yet so I can not give you my opinion on it.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaliMR
The X does have an active rear diff though, which does shift the torque left and right. I believe Honda/Acura's SH-AWD or whatever it is called has an active rear diff
SH-AWD also includes a center diff, and the electronic control for the system is amazing. Last I checked it was considered the best AWD system, even above Quattro (which is the second best). And last I drove an RL, it handled amazing for such a huge *** car. It's why it's sad that Honda/Acura doesn't include the system in more of their cars. A turbo'd S3000 with 300 bhp and 2900 lbs with SH-AWD would be a force to reckon with. But hell, even a TL-S or TSX-S with SH-AWD would be nice.

It's actually weird knowing that there are differences and then feeling them. When I first got the Evo I just thought all AWD was the same, with different names. But as it turns out they're almost all different. Got our family Audi TT, quattro is insane. I drove it with summer tires on in 3-5 inches of snow and it was like the car knew exactly what to do. Then the Porsche is completely different again. 5/95 split normally, and then when it senses it needs to send traction to the front (Like, when the rear end starts stepping out on track, for example) it can go down to 40/60. I believe the G35x, GTR and R8 have similar awd systems, though I would bet the GTR and R8's are more sophisticated.