Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Blow Through - Vent to Atmosphere

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2008, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blow Through - Vent to Atmosphere

well about 2 weeks ago i decided to switch my setup to a blow through set up. the main reason for doing this was because i was tired of trying to rig up a BOV return hose. this thing is ridiculously long from the factory and i wanted something to make it easier to switch between my street and AutoX setup. a while back i got an AMS intake and and buschur lower intercooler pipe setup. these two products were not compatible with one another. the angle and directions of the flange for the BOV off the lower intercooler pipe didn't work with the ams intake without a sever 90 degree bend in it. the picture below show the intake with the stock lower intercooler piping.

anyway to make a long story shorter, i purchased a UR intake pipe and cut the BOV return section out of the bushcur lower intercooler pipe (stainless Steel). on the buschur pipe the return flange is on the upper half of the pipe (nearest the throttle body). then i got me a tial BOV and welded it to the lower portion of the lower intercooler pipe (nearest the intercooler and goes around the radiator). AMS was kind enough to make me a custom intake without the MAF adapter or the BOV return flange on it. so here is the set up.

sorry no pictures of the BOV had it welded on a few days ago and forgot my camera. it is right behind the drivers side fog lamp. i have been running the set up for about 5 days now and it works great. i had some rubber stoppers in the original AMS intake (MAF adapter and BOV return) until today when the custom one came in. I contacted Eric at AMS on friday afternoon and by monday he had the intake in hand ready to ship out and i got it today. thanks a lot to AMS.

Last edited by gotrnet; Jan 3, 2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like the concept, how does your MAF respond to the setup.

Throttle response changes, better power delivery let us know!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Very nice. No idle problems at all? Any leaning out at high load / high boost, etc? Is your ECU stock or has it been flashed.

Where did the MAF housing geometry come fomr? Did you cut it out of the original AMS intake tube?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

very nice setup man, very clean!

i love my blow thru setup. i did it a few months ago since my turbo destroyed the screen in the stock maf. my car is much more responsive now, my turbo seems to spool a little faster since now i can have a unrestricted 4in intake pipe. and its nice being able to run a tail 50mm bov too. i would recommend blow thru for anyone who will be staying with stock ecu.

pic of my setup on my evo 8 not as clean as urs but it works lol

Old Sep 10, 2008, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

this will drasticaly change the way your maf reports airflow, the stock tune is very forgiving so it wont matter much (read: ubr rich)

dont do this unless your logging extensivly!

I've gone back and forth with the stock maf and a blow through set up on my DSM. I ended up staying with the stock set up due to gross inaccuracy in the readings of my blow through set up.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by txfoster
Like the concept, how does your MAF respond to the setup.

Throttle response changes, better power delivery let us know!
i didn't loose any responsiveness in the throttle but i am not sure if i gained any either.
Originally Posted by evostang
Very nice. No idle problems at all? Any leaning out at high load / high boost, etc? Is your ECU stock or has it been flashed.

Where did the MAF housing geometry come fomr? Did you cut it out of the original AMS intake tube?
i did have an idle problem but i turned the setup 90 degrees and it fixed it. it doesn't lean out at all and prob made it run even richer. i have a wideband installed and it maxes it out from about 4000rpm to redline on rich side. i am still running the stock ecu without any of the reflashes. the maf housed came from UR and i got got reducers to go on both ends to go from the 3" maf houseing to the 2.5" intercooler piping. no i still have the original AMS intake that i will have to try to get rid of soon.

Originally Posted by magyar86
very nice setup man, very clean!

i love my blow thru setup. i did it a few months ago since my turbo destroyed the screen in the stock maf. my car is much more responsive now, my turbo seems to spool a little faster since now i can have a unrestricted 4in intake pipe. and its nice being able to run a tail 50mm bov too. i would recommend blow thru for anyone who will be staying with stock ecu.

pic of my setup on my evo 8 not as clean as urs but it works lol
thanks. clean or not as long as it works. i am really enjoying this setup so far. although it is hard to stealth around with the BOV being louder now.

Originally Posted by zTargeTz
this will drasticaly change the way your maf reports airflow, the stock tune is very forgiving so it wont matter much (read: ubr rich)

dont do this unless your logging extensivly!

I've gone back and forth with the stock maf and a blow through set up on my DSM. I ended up staying with the stock set up due to gross inaccuracy in the readings of my blow through set up.
Really, i loved it when i finally got the mas air our of my 99 spyder. i kept hitting fuel cut so i went with the maf-t and it worked great. that is where i got the idea for this one. every car is different though that is for sure.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

more importantly, every MAF-t set up is different I think I just got unlucky with one.
plus I use DSMlink to log/tune and my airflow numbers were off and it was annoying to correct for it, just an extra head ache so i took the whole thing out.

dont get me wrong, I'm not saying it doesnt work this is a great option and the safest way to VTA your BOV, and in reality your tune should change when ever parts do, so changing the MAF set up isnt a big deal.

now i just VTA and deal with the momentary richness, the ricer in me loves a noisy BOV
Old Sep 10, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

more importantly, every MAF-t set up is different I think I just got unlucky with one.
plus I use DSMlink to log/tune and my airflow numbers were off and it was annoying to correct for it, just an extra head ache so i took the whole thing out.

dont get me wrong, I'm not saying it doesnt work this is a great option and the safest way to VTA your BOV, and in reality your tune should change when ever parts do, so changing the MAF set up isnt a big deal.

now i just VTA and deal with the momentary richness, the ricer in me loves a noisy BOV
very true. i also use dsmlink. and it is annoying to use sometimes and not just for that reason. the problem, to me is, i don't use half the things in that program because it is just too much stuff. i am not trying to ink every little hp out of my engine that i can. i personally like some margin of safety, so even if i can get 5 more hp from adding one more degree of timing it doesn't mean that i am going to.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

kind of OT, but it wouldbe nice if DSMlink (and other tuning software) were like the calculator in windows.

most common buttons presented as default, but if you want to get gritty, click the scientific button (or something similar) and have access to ALLL the goodies.

who ever uses this idea please give me a copy of your software for free
Old Sep 10, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

kind of OT, but it wouldbe nice if DSMlink (and other tuning software) were like the calculator in windows.

most common buttons presented as default, but if you want to get gritty, click the scientific button (or something similar) and have access to ALLL the goodies.

who ever uses this idea please give me a copy of your software for free
amen!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gotrnet
i did have an idle problem but i turned the setup 90 degrees and it fixed it. it doesn't lean out at all and prob made it run even richer. i have a wideband installed and it maxes it out from about 4000rpm to redline on rich side. i am still running the stock ecu without any of the reflashes. the maf housed came from UR and i got got reducers to go on both ends to go from the 3" maf houseing to the 2.5" intercooler piping. no i still have the original AMS intake that i will have to try to get rid of soon.
When I built the intake tube and air filter tube for my car I also had to turn the MAF 90 degrees since the tubing directly in front of the MAF had a 90 deg turn directly in front of the MAF. I installed a wideband somewhere around 800 miles and it's basically read the sam as what you posted, it bottoms out the wideband once boost comes in.

One thing I know from back when I was running blow thru MAFs on Mustangs, was if you put 3x the length of the tube diameter as a straight shot in front of the MAF, it will give better readings, and you won't have to play with the orientation of the MAF so much, if at all.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evostang
When I built the intake tube and air filter tube for my car I also had to turn the MAF 90 degrees since the tubing directly in front of the MAF had a 90 deg turn directly in front of the MAF. I installed a wideband somewhere around 800 miles and it's basically read the sam as what you posted, it bottoms out the wideband once boost comes in.

One thing I know from back when I was running blow thru MAFs on Mustangs, was if you put 3x the length of the tube diameter as a straight shot in front of the MAF, it will give better readings, and you won't have to play with the orientation of the MAF so much, if at all.
that is good info thanks. wish there were space for 9" of straght pipe infront of the maf but it is a pretty tight area.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Good info, hopefully someone will produce this conversion kit.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

haha wow nice setup didnt take to long for the X to have a blow through already
Old Feb 20, 2009, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

i actually did this in late august, and it has been a good setup so far.

Quick Reply: Blow Through - Vent to Atmosphere