Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

engine under-tray

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine under-tray

Well the plastic under-tray broke last night, my question is, do you think it is important enough to order a new one or leave it off? I have a shield for the air filter so it wont get wet.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:19 AM
Account Disabled

I'm pretty sure that the under tray produces downforce and is part of the overall design of the car in terms of aerodynamics. The front end might end up losing grip and be floaty at highways speeds.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had mine off since the Shootout weekend but I intend to put it back on shortly. It should speed the air under the car and the channels should help send airflow to the brakes better. Will it be a night and day difference? Probably not and even at highway speeds it's hard to tell any change in handling. I think over 100 mph you can likely detect a difference but without scientific tests it's really hard to gauge.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know on my X, but on my VIII there was a drastic difference without the tray on. The car just didn't feel stable at high speeds like it did with the tray on. Besides, the tray keeps your engine bay clean. One winter without it on and my engine bay in the VIII was pretty much ruined. I was into showing though, so that was a big deal to me. I would put it back on.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pictures anyone, i haven't seen this yet, thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Papi4baby
Pictures anyone, i haven't seen this yet, thanks.
its the big black tray that sits behind the front bumper, under the motor
Old Sep 13, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

I don't know, I have took mine off just to fix my downpip and o2 housing. Might as well put it back on.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

im not really sure i was going to take mine off but i decided not to
Old Sep 13, 2008, 12:42 PM

Leaving off the plastic undertray can lead to problems. If the oil filter is close to the bottom of the engine it can get damaged or ripped off like it did on my STI. I haven't changed the oil on my EVO X so I really haven't looked to see where the oil filter is. O
On my STI a huge piece of ice that was lodged under a van fell off in front of me while doing about 50mph and I couldn't avoid it. I hear a thump and checked under the car at home a noticed the plastic undertray was cracked. The next day as I am pulling out of my garage I just happen to look back and thought I saw water. I stopped the car and realized it was not water but a huge puddle of oil, Thankfully I didn;t drive off because the motor would have been toast. I couldn't find a leak so I replaced the filter and oil and all was good. It seemed that the filter was hit and the gasket was probably compromised next day ordered and metal undertray.
I will be purchasing a metal undertray for this car. I live around NYC and our winters are not that bad but I learned a valuable lesson from this experience. Do yourself a favor and keep the undertray on something can get caught up under there and cause havoc!
Old Sep 13, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

good advice, thanks