Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Headlights uneven

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn.... I was about to light up the dealership for the same thing...

I knew I joined the forums for something! Thanks for the info!!
Old Mar 5, 2010, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by EVOX_SPEED3
Damn.... I was about to light up the dealership for the same thing...

I knew I joined the forums for something! Thanks for the info!!
+1
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

So is there a way to adjust the horizontal movement? I think I'm having the same problem becuase it looks like the above picture but it seems the passenger side is too far to the right.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Webman
The lights in the Evo are definitely unique compared to other cars. My girlfriend always tells me she loves how my HIDs aren't so annoyingly bright, because of the way they are aimed.
Uh, I think many cars headlights, other than the Evo it seems, are improperly adjusted (most noticeable with HID's) and no one cares enough to enforce the law on headlight adjustment (too busy citing folks for having gauges I guess) so folks go merrily on their way blinding oncoming traffic without even knowing they ar misadjusted (maladjusted?) or that they are illegal. I doubt if you took your car to a shop today they would even know how the beam should be properly aligned.

The fact I can adjust the beam hight from inside the car in the MR-T is so cool, I'm not used to such luxury, see my other cars in sig.

Last edited by kmart888; Mar 5, 2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 04:18 PM

I have that issue too, but one of the tab on the right side head light is broken, so I don't know what to make of it.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 06:06 PM

Defininitely a good thread. I too, was going to have a talk with the dealer...thanks for helping in averting an unecessary scene!
My driver side headlight appears to be a hair lower than the right, and as an MR-T, it has internal adjustments but that just shifts both, keeping that left one a hair off...so I can just tweak it with a philips and am good to go?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:19 AM

(First post)

Good to know that the driver-side light is suppose to be lower than the passenger-side.

I think I'll muck with the adjustment screws some to see if I can get rid of some of the pronounced chromatic aberrations (non-white areas of light) around the cut-off.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, my 2010 RA sportback got same prob as u have "The left side beam seems a little closer compare to the right" ... and even worse, mine is almost 5 ft. closer compare to right side. They are " HID low-beams" only prob I believe, since my high-beams are just fine...

PS: just saw the answear... good to know it's supposed to be like that lol

Last edited by odin; Aug 13, 2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:16 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Does anybody know how to adjust the non-HID headlights??

My lights are pointing down way to far, so my field of view at night w/the low-beams is next to nothing. I've read every single headlight thread here, and at the 'other' forum, and most describe the somewhat similar method for adjusting for HIDs.. but the gear mechanism seems a little different between the two.

Anway, I've found the correct opening for the screwdriver and found the gear with the bolt at the end (bolt head is flat) as shown in the pics and diagram. Are the teeth of the philips head supposed to make contact with the teeth of the gear to turn it? If so, does turning the gear require much effort and should it make a "click" sound or anything?? Also, it looks like there's a black plastic piece underneath the gear teeth that appears to have a small raised dot that comes up between 2 of the teeth -- should I be using the screwdriver to bend that part down, so the gear can turn.

I've also read a recommendation of using a 5.5mm socket for the bolt, but on the non-HID lights, that socket is just way too small for the bolt. Also saw mention of a plastic cover that's supposed to protect something, but haven't found anything similar.

Thanks in advance if anybody has any info.. just didn't wanna break anything!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Glad I found this thread. I think mine are aimed improperly. Even on 0 setting, they're way too low and to make matters worse, the passenger side is aimed way wide and is lower than the drivers side. Signs don't light up LOL. I'm going to aim them super high and then just dial them down a few notches inside the car. Very informative thread. Sigh, I wish mitsu would have cutoffs like the s2k's.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:09 AM

THANK YOU... for this post. My drivers side headlight was aimed DANGEROUSLY low, to the point where if there was something in the road ahead of me on a dark night, I would barely have enough time to avoid it once it came into my field of view. Other than our coke-can sized fuel tank, this was my only other complaint about this car (especially after my dealer told me there was no way to adjust the headlights). One step closer to perfection after this easy fix.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:33 PM

tat good tought somthing was wrong with my light
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:27 PM

Attached Thumbnails
The diagram posted by Q15H is correct. It took me a few times to get this right. The right tools help too. I used an eight inch number 2 Philips screwdriver. It is a little bit of a tight fit. It has to be twisted into the hole to start turning the plastic gears. Turn left to raise the lights. It's slow to raise so be patient.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:38 PM

Thanks... I thought I had the same issue with the wife's Mazda, and did give the dealer hell about it. But he never did explain why it needed to be that way....
Old Apr 2, 2011, 06:09 AM

I've been wondering why my passenger HID seemed so much higher! Even with the dashboard height setting on max they are both still a little low for me. I will give the assembly a tweak and see if I can raise both sides a bit.

Quick Reply: Headlights uneven