Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X in the 2008 C&D Lightning Lap

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shyong
Cobalt SS had a faster (barely) lap than the Evo. wtf? A GSR probably would've had a better time if you ask me. MR is just too soft sprung. I'm getting tired of seeing all these comparos using the MR and getting spanked.
+1
Old Sep 25, 2008, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

but gaybalt wont get you pu$$y, evo does. i cant imagine telling my friends i drive a colbalt and expect them not to laugh. you can make a pinto fast if you want to but do i want to drive it? hellzzz no!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
well if this list is true /i'm not doubting you noize/, then there is an other surprise here.
The X MR is faster then a IX MR according to this . And there for the Cobalt too.
Hm.
yeah, but if you read the article and the notes about the EVO IX's drive, those guys didn't know what the hell they were doing. the SC'ed cobalt SS that ran with them that year had higher entry AND exit speeds than both the EVO IX MR, and the 350Z track on more than one corner. that tells me they were driving the cars wrong. wouldn't surprise me if the X MR had more speed in it than they could get out of it as well.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 08:36 PM

ha ha, these posts about the cobalt ss remind of what BMW owners would say if an M3 lost to an EVO (wont get you laid, cheap interior, driven by ricers, etc...). Hopefully EVO owners have not fallen to the level of "but our interior is more ergonomic" or something similar.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SpeedI2acerX
but gaybalt wont get you pu$$y, evo does. i cant imagine telling my friends i drive a colbalt and expect them not to laugh. you can make a pinto fast if you want to but do i want to drive it? hellzzz no!
Lets be honest here - an EVO which the average person sees as a Lancer isn't exactly pulling in super models.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

From my experience so far, the evo doesn't get chicks excited...Anything that cost about $50k does the trick though.

School aged kids look at it a lot though. I even had a motorcycle cop motion to me to slow down a bit (I guess he didn't want to take the time to write up a cite)- The evo x is low key.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

The frickin' $22k Cobalt SS trounced the following vehicles:

- EVO MR
- STI
- ISF
- 135i
- S2000 CR
- Elise SC
- G37 Sport
- Challenger SRT8
- S5
- R32
- Mugen Si

AND IT GETS 30 MPG!!!

Talk about an awesome daily driver.

X owners better hope GM doesn't release any stage kits...if so, these things will be pushing 300hp for $700 WITH a factory warranty.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E. Haskell
The frickin' $22k Cobalt SS trounced the following vehicles:

- EVO MR
- STI
- ISF
- 135i
- S2000 CR
- Elise SC
- G37 Sport
- Challenger SRT8
- S5
- R32
- Mugen Si

AND IT GETS 30 MPG!!!

Talk about an awesome daily driver.

X owners better hope GM doesn't release any stage kits...if so, these things will be pushing 300hp for $700 WITH a factory warranty.
So much faith in Car and Driver? I wish I could have the same.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shyong
Cobalt SS had a faster (barely) lap than the Evo. wtf? A GSR probably would've had a better time if you ask me. MR is just too soft sprung. I'm getting tired of seeing all these comparos using the MR and getting spanked.
Depends. Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn0UkrPvPmc
-"The MR rides more comfortable than the GSR, yet manages SUPERIOR lap times."

Direct quote from video review of the MR, GSR, and STI, with the MR having the fastest lap time. So it depends more on the track course layout.

As many have said already, most of us would still prefer a EVO X over a cobalt. It's like the old SRT-4 vs. WRX debate:

"The SRT-4 is faster!"
"Well, throw in any turns, and it's not, and b) I don't want to drive a neon."

They can say "you drive a lancer" , but the MR offers so much more (Recaros, auto climate control, BBS, AWD, and Nav option.)

Chevy did give it some respect, following Mitsubishi and Subaru's early philosophy:
turbo it, give it brembos, and mark up the price of our cobalts by thousands!

To each their own.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by love9sick
So much faith in Car and Driver? I wish I could have the same.
People always do this. When the car they like loses - blame the magazine.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Mitsubishi really needs to up the Evo's hp so it'll do well in these tests. I'd like to see a FQ360 or 400 version for the US that cost a couple thousand more! The handling is already good enough, it just needs a bit of hp.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

People always do this. When the car they like loses - blame the magazine.
I don't have to use any excuse. I never liked C&D since day one. Way before this post or any other. Sorry, always found their reviews underwhelming and never precise or even accurate most of the time.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

BTW - it's great that others prefer the X, but it's also great that people can get similar performance for $22k. Not everyone can or wants to spend $35k on a car. Figure in interest/tax/extra gas and the X probably has a 5 year cost of ownership that is over $20,000 more!!

IMO, fast, cheap and economical cars are fun.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Noize
Slowbalt time ticks me off too. 19 year old SS owners will be trolling Evo, 1 series, and ISF forums for weeks to come.
lol! true that!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

BTW - it's great that others prefer the X, but it's also great that people can get similar performance for $22k. Not everyone can or wants to spend $35k on a car. Figure in interest/tax/extra gas and the X probably has a 5 year cost of ownership that is over $20,000 more!!

IMO, fast, cheap and economical cars are fun.
Tax and interest? whaaat? every car has that. Not to mention everyone has to put gas in and that is relative to how much you drive. Maybe just tires and the fully synthetic oil, that is about it really. EVO (all of them) are cheap and economical for what you get. Not to mention speed is cheap on the EVO, special with the size of the after market business devoted to it. Notice I have never even said anything about the Cobalt thus far. I don't care how fast it really is, what the problem is that once some car comes along that is quick or close to performance and yet costs less people try to bring the other car down for some reason. Anyone ever thought of the idea that 4x4 is more expensive for a manufacturer to put in a car as it is. Second, the price gap isn't really that big considering we have seen 335i to the X comparisons and they are 10k different. Third of all the EVO is a rally car, winter is only a few months away now where I live...and it bites here.

Last edited by love9sick; Sep 25, 2008 at 10:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo X in the 2008 C&D Lightning Lap