Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X in the 2008 C&D Lightning Lap

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2008, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
what happened the rest of the track time? Is classified? Because the rest of it doesn't seems to help to the SS either If you see the layout of the whole track... So nothing left to win for the SS, but the straight a ways...
Seems to me the SS murdered the MR in the straights according to the winning time. because that is a hell of a lot deficit in those 5 sections, at least...
The SS would be that much faster in staright? Really? And pulls more G's? And same time fall behind the curves in the Evo?
Because if it is , then probably would be beat the IX by couple car length in straight at least.
Which is beyond me... Specially after i had a highway run against the SS...

Or just a common selling help from the magazine.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 2, 2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After looking at that pdf I know that its got to be a little off. It shows the X MR's g's at only .88, the driver wasnt pushing it enough or something because almost everything else I have seen shows it capable of holding .99 g's. The cobalts was a little higher and the cobalts top speed was 6 mph higher as well. I would have to say this is skewed a bit. Like i said previously I give props to the SS, I think it is more business with less flare than the evo, not that the evo doesnt perform awesome, i bought one, but the cobalt is nice.

One thing I would say is that the GSR would make up that .3 secs or whatever the cobalt had on it, so I would like to see that in the mix.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
what happened the rest of the track time? Is classified? Because the rest of it doesn't seems to help to the SS either If you see the layout of the whole track... So nothing left to win for the SS, but the straight a ways...
Seems to me the SS murdered the MR in the straights according to the winning time. because that is a hell of a lot deficit in those 5 sections, at least...
The SS would be that much faster in staright? Really? And pulls more G's? And same time fall behind the curves in the Evo?
Because if it is , then probably would be beat the IX by couple car length in straight at least.
Which is beyond me... Specially after i had a highway run against the SS...

Or just a common selling help from the magazine.
Not to try and be a fanboi, call me one if you want, but i smell some skewed numbers as well. This all doesnt add up to me.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

nothing against the SS from me. I only doubt the Evo performance. Or the driver. Who might got an extra meal, after he managed it behind the SS.
As more i look at it , more unbelievable..
The Evo suppose to lost a big time, where basically is better then a SS, according the 5 section posted.
Just take a good look at the lay out.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by murlo26
Not to try and be a fanboi, call me one if you want, but i smell some skewed numbers as well. This all doesnt add up to me.
Check out the numbers I posted. The Cobalt SS also hung with the X in Motor Trend's article.

Laguna Seca Lap Times
Dodge Viper ACR....................1:35.117
Nissan GTR............................1:40.453
Audi R8.................................1:40.920
Porsche 997 Turbo..................1:42.507
BMW M3...............................1:42.964
Ford/Shelby Mustang GT500KR..1:44.716
Mitsubishi Evo MR....................1:47.713
Chevrolet Cobalt SS................1:47.751

Mazda RX-8............................1:50.418
Mini Cooper S..........................1:51.917

I doubt both mags are skewing the numbers.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

The Evo back in 1996-2000 was one of the cars to beat in stock form on the track. It'd beat off the m3, skyline, supra, 300zx, S4 and many others. Now it's "evolving" too slow in comparison to the other cars. Even the cobalt is giving it more than a run for it's money on the track.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrcoolhandsome
The Evo back in 1996-2000 was one of the cars to beat in stock form on the track. It'd beat off the m3, skyline, supra, 300zx, S4 and many others. Now it's "evolving" too slow in comparison to the other cars. Even the cobalt is giving it more than a run for it's money on the track.
which would be good , if the MR would pull at least 0.91 g's in the corners... and where is that from the 0.96g's... it is a huge difference
Old Oct 3, 2008, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
which would be good , if the MR would pull at least 0.91 g's in the corners... and where is that from the 0.96g's... it is a huge difference
Thats what Im saying, they arent driving it right, the car is capable of much higher g's in the corners. They are babying it.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

And how often do you go to the track, Mr. Senna?
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
And how often do you go to the track, Mr. Senna?
My Senna is dead let him rest in peace.

This has nothing to do with how often I track per year which you are trying to insinuate.

My point is the stock Evo(Evo IV-VI.5), ~10 years ago could beat many more cars in and out of it's class at the time then now (Evo X) vs the same updated models.

Is this statement wrong Mr. Bonus?
Old Oct 3, 2008, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

My Senna is dead let him rest in peace.

This has nothing to do with how often I track per year which you are trying to insinuate.

My point is the stock Evo(Evo IV-VI.5), ~10 years ago could beat many more cars in and out of it's class at the time then now (Evo X) vs the same updated models.

Is this statement wrong Mr. Bonus?
That's a vague statement and don't think it can be reasonably proved. It's still competitive within its very narrow segment and still is a performance bargain compared to a number of more expensive cars, regardless if the Cobalt SS happens to be a similar if not better performance bargain on the track.

But I think the bizarre obsession with professional track numbers by people who don't even bother to track their cars is laughable. What purpose do they serve other than as a basis for Internet pissing contests and salty bar arguments?
Old Oct 3, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
**** lol

I remember the test of the IX and I do not remember exactly what it said, but I recall thinking that the guy had no idea how to drive either an AWD car or a turbo car (which an Evo is both). It is entirely possible that the new test was similar, though I have not read it so I can't say for sure. Also, the regular Vette this year seems to be basically even with last year's Z06? And the R8 seems to have not done as well as in other tests? And wtf is up with the lotus SC? They should test an Atom, see if this guy can get it under 4:00 lol

It is just one test, using one driver, don't take it too serious
Old Oct 3, 2008, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

I think there is some truth to the statement that performance wise, the car has not kept up...There is a top gear episode where it out ran a Lambo...BUT that was the FQ400 and not a car we could buy here in the US. I imagine the FQ360 would make a much better comparison..considering 360 is about what most of us will get out of a basic tune, most of us would expect (well...with the same calibre driver behind the wheel) a car that would run with the M3....not sure it would run with the lambos anymore though.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
That's a vague statement and don't think it can be reasonably proved. It's still competitive within its very narrow segment and still is a performance bargain compared to a number of more expensive cars, regardless if the Cobalt SS happens to be a similar if not better performance bargain on the track.

But I think the bizarre obsession with professional track numbers by people who don't even bother to track their cars is laughable. What purpose do they serve other than as a basis for Internet pissing contests and salty bar arguments?
Well I do track my car, I am assuming you do too. So are you sponsored, is driving professionally your career and does shaving seconds of your lap time equate to you and your kids eating gruel vs lobster?

Probably not.

So, saying you shaved a second off your lap time, quarter mile, beating the other guy, etc isn't that a pissing contest and laughable?

If you want proof look at the stopping distance, acceleration, quarter mile and even the WRC at that time.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Well I do track my car, I am assuming you do too. So are you sponsored, is driving professionally your career and does shaving seconds of your lap time equate to you and your kids eating gruel vs lobster?

Probably not.

So, saying you shaved a second off your lap time, quarter mile, beating the other guy, etc isn't that a pissing contest and laughable?

If you want proof look at the stopping distance, acceleration, quarter mile and even the WRC at that time.
well, back then the idea of the EVo was different then today, so does the safety requirements.
With that idea and so , the Evo couldn't be sold more then couple hundred today. So it would be the end of the Evo production. For example Lancia Delta Integrale.
Nobody would buy cars today and no government would let them run on the street with those options and conditions.
ALL those differences and odds , The Evo is still one heck of a car..
You have to understand , even back then NOBODY bought the car because the oem performance.
The EVO was and still is a real tuner car, for the tuner scene.
Who cares how its run in factory? When you will modify it anyway.
The evo is all about the possibilities. And there is a huge one even with the X
I do understand what you are saying , but to be honest I really don't care how the X performs as a factory car. Neither if its have or doesn't have navigation or electric windows.
But I'm the old school guy , so my time is passed already. The new generation have to learn to see through the woods and see the real car behind the scene . Just like before in the evo history.
The EVo wasn't the fastest car in oem form ever. But nobody cared that time and in those places where its roots and history are nothing have changed.
Rob

Quick Reply: Evo X in the 2008 C&D Lightning Lap