Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X in the 2008 C&D Lightning Lap

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2008, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X in the 2008 C&D Lightning Lap

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...re+page-9.html

Car and Driver has not posted the full article, but you can still determine some tidbits from this teaser. It looks like the Cobalt SS gave the Evo X some hassling, and that the 135i was slower around VIR than the Evo.

Have fun!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cobalt SS had a faster (barely) lap than the Evo. wtf? A GSR probably would've had a better time if you ask me. MR is just too soft sprung. I'm getting tired of seeing all these comparos using the MR and getting spanked.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Sure gives me new found respect for the Cobalt SS though!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

DAMN! The Cobalt SS is surprisingly fast! Faster than a Evo X MR! Cobalt SS is the fastest FWD.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Didn't ya'll see the lap time at the 'Ring that the Cobalt SS put down? It's a VERY quick car... but man is it generic.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Didn't ya'll see the lap time at the 'Ring that the Cobalt SS put down? It's a VERY quick car... but man is it generic.

Couldn't be far from the truth. My girl has a Cobalt loaner car right now while her car's being fixed. Talk about cheap. Build material and quality of this car makes the Evo X look like a friggin Mercedes Benz. Interior is just flat out atrocious. I've seen better plastic material on a gallon of milk.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shyong
Cobalt SS had a faster (barely) lap than the Evo. wtf? A GSR probably would've had a better time if you ask me. MR is just too soft sprung. I'm getting tired of seeing all these comparos using the MR and getting spanked.

+1. The MR and the GSR are two different cars when it comes to the track. Plus look at the weight on the MR they tested.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Couldn't be far from the truth. My girl has a Cobalt loaner car right now while her car's being fixed. Talk about cheap. Build material and quality of this car makes the Evo X look like a friggin Mercedes Benz. Interior is just flat out atrocious. I've seen better plastic material on a gallon of milk.
?

I said the car is generic... not awesome. It's got standard General build quality -- decent. But the design is boring and it's a cheap car, so it's got a very cheap feel.

But it'll tear most cars up on the street... and for a fraction of the price.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Just looked at pics of the interior and it doesn't even look that bad, looks on par with the evo's interior if not nicer.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mystique
Just looked at pics of the interior and it doesn't even look that bad, looks on par with the evo's interior if not nicer.
Might want to see it in person before you make that judgement. We've had the cobalt loaner for about a week now. I know it gets awesome gas mileage and we really should be putting miles on it vs the Evo...but I cannot get over the entire car. Mind you it's not an SS...but still. Car reaks cheap.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

?

But it'll tear most cars up on the street... and for a fraction of the price.

Yeah, if you can get over the embarrassment of driving one. Thanks but no thanks. The Evo X was a bit of a far stretch for me. I wanted to look like somewhat of an adult thus I went with the X vs. IX.

I like performance as much as the next guy but there are limitations on what I am willing to drive/purchase. Cobalt SS might've been cool for me at age 17 but those days have been long and over with.

You are what you drive...you can't put a price on that.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, if you can get over the embarrassment of driving one. Thanks but no thanks. The Evo X was a bit of a far stretch for me. I wanted to look like somewhat of an adult thus I went with the X vs. IX.

I like performance as much as the next guy but there are limitations on what I am willing to drive/purchase. Cobalt SS might've been cool for me at age 17 but those days have been long and over with.

You are what you drive...you can't put a price on that.
No offense (which I know implies offensive material coming), but this is a very Dallas mentality...

That said, I wouldn't drive a Cobalt (SS or super rocket ship edition) either! Nor would I drive an SRT4 Neon

You don't have to like em, just respect them for what they are
Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

No offense (which I know implies offensive material coming), but this is a very Dallas mentality...

That said, I wouldn't drive a Cobalt (SS or super rocket ship edition) either! Nor would I drive an SRT4 Neon

You don't have to like em, just respect them for what they are

No problem. I agree with you.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Old Sep 25, 2008, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
sounds like to me, help the US car makers review.
They need it though.

Quick Reply: Evo X in the 2008 C&D Lightning Lap