Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

jack failed....dented floor

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jack failed....dented floor

I was rotating my tires for the first time today and my jack suddenly dropped. I had a jackstand with a hockey puck on top that was already underneath the car. I was trying to get it positioned and never thought the jack would drop! Anyways the jackstand and puck were on the front passenger side and there was probably an inch gap when it dropped. Now there is a large bulge in the passenger side floor.

I haven't pulled up the carpet yet so I don't know just how bad it is. I figure the right front weighs roughly 1000 lbs so I wonder if I will need at least that much weight to push the bulge back??? What kind of tool/equipment can do this?
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rubber mallet
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

First off...why did you place the jackstand underneath the passenger floor board? That area is far from being a support point. Man, you're lucky you didn't get lose a limb or your life.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shyong
First off...why did you place the jackstand underneath the passenger floor board? That area is far from being a support point. Man, you're lucky you didn't get lose a limb or your life.
It was sitting there temporarily, I had no intention of hoisting the car from the floor board. Like I said this was the first time I've done this on the X (4000 miles) and most unfortunately the first time my jack has failed. My limbs and life are doing just fine. I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to bring that up.

coolhandsome - is a rubber mallet based on past experience or what you think? It's definitely a good start, but I'm thinking it will take more force.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by salukidude
It was sitting there temporarily, I had no intention of hoisting the car from the floor board. Like I said this was the first time I've done this on the X (4000 miles) and most unfortunately the first time my jack has failed. My limbs and life are doing just fine. I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to bring that up.

coolhandsome - is a rubber mallet based on past experience or what you think? It's definitely a good start, but I'm thinking it will take more force.
I'm not here to give you a hard time. Just glad you're okay. All the times when I lift my car up in my garage using a jack...I always have the nervous feeling that the car's going to drop on me while i'm still under.

I'm sure you're not too bummed out considering things could've been much worse. That's one bright side.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

Block of wood and a hammer/rubber mallet... Been there done that
Old Sep 27, 2008, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

^ Thanks! I'll give it a try.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 02:09 AM

I'm not an expert on lift a car, but a jack is never suppose to be there. Temporarily or not. We live and we learn. As long as your alright.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 02:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8
I'm not an expert on lift a car, but a jack is never suppose to be there. Temporarily or not. We live and we learn. As long as your alright.
It was a jackstand! And yes I'm alright!
Old Sep 27, 2008, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by salukidude
It was a jackstand! And yes I'm alright!
And a jackstand is not intended for that spot either. Good to hear you are alright!!

Old Sep 27, 2008, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThunderOZRacer
Block of wood and a hammer/rubber mallet... Been there done that
+1 there are several threads about this in the evo 1-9 section.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
yeah the rubber mallot trick works...i had to do it to my 03 because the idiot who owned it before me used the two grommets under the rear floor mats as jack points
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Good thing that you were under the car.....the rubber mallet is the only way you can pop that thing back down.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i'm glad you here and tell the story...
My buddy father died a this way. he couldn't breath so he died like that. Not really from crushing bones and so.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

I think what he was saying is that he jacked up the car then was going to slide in the jackstand from the front and the jack failed. I have had a hydraulic jack do this to me before, but didn't have the jackstand under it. Ya just use a block of wood and a hammer.

Quick Reply: jack failed....dented floor