Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X mr vs Base model X ~what to buy :S

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2008, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all boils down to personal preference. I would prefer a GSR over the MR because of the manual transmission but it's upto you to pick a model that makes you happy.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Deannn
Car dealer told me 360hp at fly is most sst can handle.. i want 340whp..
it the 360 hp limit is right , then you can't have the 340 whp.
if you measure 15% drive train loss, then 340 whp would be 391 crank hp .
Why around 15% ? Because the factory GSR is theoretically 291 hp. And they put down between aprox. 250 -260 whp. /on dyno jet/ so that is about there.
And dont forget looks like all the dyno numbers we got, the MR has more drive train loss then the GSR.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Sep 28, 2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UntouchableEvo
Personally I would only choose the GSR I am a firm believer of Evolutions being manual trans axle. Those are the main differences you stated and of course the automatic transmission.
Can't you people get it through your heads? It's not an automatic. There's no torque convertor...

I rock a GSR, so GSR ftw
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

well when they say just hp, they usaly mean at the flywheel. Hp at wheels is usaly 15% or soo less on maunal car. by the time it travels from flywheel through drivetrain. not sure with sst, but auto gearbox loss is bit more round 20% ?
The SST will translate as much power to wheels as a "regular" manual gear box would. The loss in power on auto trans cars is because of the torque converter. The SST does not have a torque converter, it has an automated clutch system that transfers power just like a manual trans. The main difference is that the transmission is shifted by the transmissions ecm instead of the driver.

For those saying that this is an EVO and not a luxo car, give it up. This is the wave of the future. Yes, it's in it's infancy but will be perfected in the near future and the manually shifted cars will go the way the carburetors did when EFI came out.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thrshr
The SST will translate as much power to wheels as a "regular" manual gear box would. The loss in power on auto trans cars is because of the torque converter. The SST does not have a torque converter, it has an automated clutch system that transfers power just like a manual trans. The main difference is that the transmission is shifted by the transmissions ecm instead of the driver.

For those saying that this is an EVO and not a luxo car, give it up. This is the wave of the future. Yes, it's in it's infancy but will be perfected in the near future and the manually shifted cars will go the way the carburetors did when EFI came out.
dyno proven , the MR does makes less whp .
They say all kinda excuses but end of the day, the MR is put down pretty hefty amount of whp less then the GSR.
Also the 1/4 mile run the trap speed is slower too, if im right .
Old Sep 28, 2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
They say all kinda excuses but end of the day, the MR is put down pretty hefty amount of whp less then the GSR.
There is a difference between excuses and explainations. If the MR indeed puts down a "pretty hefty amount of whp less then the GSR", how do you explain how the two cars are so close on the track? On some tracks the MR performs even better. There is no way the the whp gap is as wide as you infer.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
On Buschur Racings mustang dyno he has dyno charts for three bone stock GSR's one at 211 peak power, one at 219 peak power, and another at 230 peak wheel HP. He also has one bone stock MR dyno chart that peaked at 211 peak HP.

Both of the cars that had 211 peak HP at the wheels had very low miles on them, just off of the dealer lot. Draw your own conclusion on that one.

As far as 1/4 mile trap speeds, I trapped 101.10 mph in the 1/4 mile in my bone stock full weight EVO X MR... what trap speeds are the GSR's getting bone stock?

Keith
Old Sep 28, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

it the 360 hp limit is right , then you can't have the 340 whp.
if you measure 15% drive train loss, then 340 whp would be 391 crank hp .
Why around 15% ? Because the factory GSR is theoretically 291 hp. And they put down between aprox. 250 -260 whp. /on dyno jet/ so that is about there.
And dont forget looks like all the dyno numbers we got, the MR has more drive train loss then the GSR.
15% is just in general, im not sure how much evo's loose. GSR and MR at car dealer all have dyno graphs on cars and all show 208hp at wheels car dealer did say as well that they have 300hp @ flywheel but you know some car dealers they tell you anything to sell the car.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

ive allready put deposite for GSR few days ago, but i had second thoughts so i thought ill ask you guys for opinion. Reading few other threads sounds like you can get 330-350whp from just exhaust, intercooler, coldair intake and reflash?
Old Sep 28, 2008, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

I think most people are getting 290 whp mostly stock with a tune and an intake. Some of the newest tunes are starting to show a little more power...At anyrate, they are getting 107 mph in the quarter mile trap speed so that is a solid 6-7 mph more (10 kph) so I'd think that there is about 70 (flywheel) hp to be had from the tune and a better air filter. My guess is that this would be about 360 hp flywheel sort of like an FQ-360 UK style tune.

I've been to Perth and I have a 5-spd GSR. I'd think that, after seeing the local roadways, the GSR with a 5-speed would kick *** the most. For me, I'd like an MR, with the SST, but only because I can't shift too fast with my left hand, but for anybody born into driving on the wrong side- I'd say shift it yourself. The speed limits in Australia are kind of slow around town so the GSR gearing won't really be too upsetting I wouldn't think.

I might be back there pretty soon- I'll be driving a dirty old diesel navarra probably. You might be the first kid on the block with one.

p.s. think the evo is tough enough to run over the center island on the heaps of round-a-bouts you got there?
Old Sep 29, 2008, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
On Buschur Racings mustang dyno he has dyno charts for three bone stock GSR's one at 211 peak power, one at 219 peak power, and another at 230 peak wheel HP. He also has one bone stock MR dyno chart that peaked at 211 peak HP.

Both of the cars that had 211 peak HP at the wheels had very low miles on them, just off of the dealer lot. Draw your own conclusion on that one.

As far as 1/4 mile trap speeds, I trapped 101.10 mph in the 1/4 mile in my bone stock full weight EVO X MR... what trap speeds are the GSR's getting bone stock?

Keith
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=330759
he did run 3600 ft ASL 102.95 mph with 1.98 sec 60 ft.

so if you say the MR has a faster shifting etc, then this car should be a little more whp on the ground. As far is i think.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 04:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mike100
p.s. think the evo is tough enough to run over the center island on the heaps of round-a-bouts you got there?
aff i lost the count of how many i went over hahah, still havent seen 1 evo X on road, but ****ty thing is many people will think Evo is just another new lancer. yee wen u come perth pm me and i can show u round if ya want.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 03:03 PM

One of my friend had evo VIII, but recently bought evo X MR regrets little bit for getting SST...but he still enjoys it.

If you can drive a manual, I would say GSR is more fun(well..depending on your taste...I like driving a manual, but wouldn't mind MR though...^_^)
Old Sep 30, 2008, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
some car dealers they tell you anything to sell the car.
One of the dealer told me the car has 295hp, but it feels like a 400hp car.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 03:29 AM
Evolving Member

Good news, i got my loan approved, need 6300$ usd deposite lol soo my manual w w evo with mr suspesion breaks, bbs wheels will be ready 25th november
also got incontact with local car tuner

" Hi Dean, We will be doing the ECUTEK reflashing on EVO X's but haven't got thesoftware yet - the guys at MRT in Sydney (Australian ECUTEK Distributor)have started doing a couple but we want to ensure it's all sorted beforewe get the software ourselves. Please keep in touch - hopefully it's allworking out ok & we'll be doing them soon. "

YAY

Quick Reply: Evo X mr vs Base model X ~what to buy :S