Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Top Gear Evo X vs. 08 STI

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2008, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by aznxkaiser
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/power-br...hp-370wtq.html

Just did a google search and this guy had to do a turbo swap, fuel pump, etc to get 359whp. Theres an Evo X that made 390whp stock turbo, albeit using cosworth cams.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/power-br...hp-362wtq.html
You can't compare one independent dyno to another, as far as we know the 390 whp dyno is abnormally high while the 360 whp dyno is abnormally low. Look up AMS and see their results with the STI. They are more than pleased with how it performs both power wise and in terms of track behavior. The track comparison uses the 07 STI so it's irrelevant but since the engine is the same between the 07 and 08 model, it applies.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynapack doesnt read "abnormally high" especially considering it was at RRE. Yeah Im sure AMS is pleased with the STi but its because they are trying to sell a product to the subaru audience. Would their products sell if they said STi's are slower than Evos mod for mod?
The only good thing I see in the STi is the tranny which holds better than the Evos.. I wouldn't call the boxer engine used by Subaru a revelation engine, much like the rotary in the RX-series its just impractical when it comes to modding.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

It's still impossible to compare the results of one dyno to another, hell it's damn difficult to compare the results of the same dyno if the runs were done on different days.
So wait, if AMS says that the STI responds well to mods on a Mitsubishi website, they're just trying to sell their mods yet when they say that the Evo responds well to mods they're telling the truth? AMS is one of the most respected companies on here, I see no reason for them to lie especially when they have dyno sheets to back it up. Sure the boxer motor isn't revolutionary, but it works. Is it easy to work on? In some ways yes (clutch changes are easier on a Subaru than a Mitsubishi) and in some ways hell no (4 hours to change the spark plugs is hardly the norm, lol). I see no reason to say one car is better than the other, they're simply different. I love the rawness of the Evo and it's indisputable prowess and potential but at the same time I love the STI's practicality, transmission and general feel. I regularly defend the Evo (as well as other cars like Hondas) so I'm not your typical fanboy (as I'm sure someone will argue this).
Old Sep 29, 2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
No it doesn't, at least not according to AMS or Buschur who both have WRX/STI shop cars that they say respond very well to mods, at least as good as evos maybe even better.
While yes the majority of the comparison is about handling, using the FQ360 has an effect on that as well (in the sense that more power will make it feel inherently different). It's also a matter of how you drive the car, unfortunately the STI is an understeering so and so from the factory and you really need to man-handle it to get the most out of it. I find it a bit unfair that the majority of the test is done with the FQ360 while the STI is just the stock version. I'm sure evo owners would be pissed if they did a shootout with the Litchfield Type-25 and a stock Evo GSR.
Here's the Litchfield just so you can see it. Sorta like the FQ albeit without Subaru's official backing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kUsMlFkLWQ.
I'd like to see a shoot out between that Type-25 and the FQ-400 IX. That would be a nice comparo.

But to defend Mitsu.....it was Top Gear's choice to use an FQ model, Subie lovers can't blame Evo owners over something they can't control. Top Gear has always had a soft spot for the Evo and they defend it viciously over cars that cost 3 or 4 times as much.

Plus I think they'd already made their minds up before the episode was produced. It's a wagon for ****s sake. I'd perfer to have one of the 02-07 standard WRX wagons compared to an 08 STI wagon.

On a side note.....the VG on the X looks sex, and the EvolutionX embroidery (spell check that) on the Recaros is a very nice touch also. Damn why can't we have that FQ360 model here in the US!!!!

And the 08 Cobalt SS, yes it's very quick.....especially for the money. My friend has one and I've seen it in action. But, my friends car has also been to the dealer 3 times with less than 5K on the odometer.

First year cars = eh, gotta work out the bugs
First year GM FF tubo cars = gauranteed problems, might not make it to 50K on original driveline parts.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Nobody is blaming evo owners, I'm blaming Top Gear and calling it a biased and irrelevant comparison. In past reviews they've loved the STI so I don't think the reviewers are biased themselves.
The looks of the car are very subjective, some people seem to love it while others absolutely hate it. I tend to like the car although I agree it does look odd in photos.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 08:37 PM

Well, let's take out the Evo in the equation. Let's say that Top Gear was just doing a specific review of the STI. Do you really think their opinion of the car would change that much?

Their points still stay valid, poop tires, soft suspension, more than questionable looks....what more is there to say....Subaru missed the mark on the new STI. Regaurdless of wether it was pitted up against a GSR or an FQ360.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aznxkaiser
It takes more to make an STi to reach 360 WHP than it does an Evo
take in not this is the new evo and sti, i don't think you can compare ease of getting to x horsepower unless your a troll on the suby forums, with the old evo and old sti yes that would hold true but this comparison 08 to 08 no sir.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TEGGSRB18C1
Well, let's take out the Evo in the equation. Let's say that Top Gear was just doing a specific review of the STI. Do you really think their opinion of the car would change that much?

Their points still stay valid, poop tires, soft suspension, more than questionable looks....what more is there to say....Subaru missed the mark on the new STI. Regaurdless of wether it was pitted up against a GSR or an FQ360.
I actually do think it would change things a bit. Obviously they're still not going to be pleased with the handling or the looks (although the STI is still a real performer compared to other cars) but some other parts of the review (such as the evo doing a donut around the STI) would obviously change. I like the Evo, I'm considering one in the future to replace my WRX but I don't dismiss the STI because of this fact.
I think the new STI is selling very well but I'm not completely sure. I know the new Impreza is doing well but I can't remember whether this includes the STI.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by red evo8
take in not this is the new evo and sti, i don't think you can compare ease of getting to x horsepower unless your a troll on the suby forums, with the old evo and old sti yes that would hold true but this comparison 08 to 08 no sir.
That only holds true for the early days of the STI vs Evo battle. By the time the 07 came around, tuners were becoming more familiar with the engine and found out what it needs to make power. AMS has shown this where they gained more power for less money with the STI.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 09:27 PM

Review or not, track results with the Stig or not - one is a station wagon and the other is not.

I used to own a bugeye WRX and loved it but frankly the new STI could do 0-60 in 3.6 seconds stock and I still wouldn't be interested in it.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

The STI is a hatchback, it looks nothing like a station wagon.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

I prefer a hatch for utility anyway. The STI will make power dollar for dollar, but in a straight line they aren't that fast (blame the six speed).

Also, its only a matter of time before we see a vid posted that shows the Cobalt SS putting a hurtin on the X or STI at the track. You need to take that turbo charged 2800 lb car seriously.

I agree that if you are going to compare an Evo to STI, it should be on the same level.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

The Cobalt already did put a hurting on the X and the STI, it was faster than both in the CD Lightning Lap.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
The STI is a hatchback, it looks nothing like a station wagon.
whatever..I still like my 2002 bug-eye rex best.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

The 08 STi lapped fast than the current evo AND the evo IX if you
want to be top gear loyal.
Rest of the **** is a wash. It does take more to get power out of a STi, since evo's come with a turbo which is 3-4 times larger, if going by mitsu's sizing standards. That's pretty much a DUH lol.
Magazine and bench racing is gay.
Does anyone really believe a cobalt SS is gonna beat them on the street?

Last edited by Paikman GTR; Sep 29, 2008 at 11:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Top Gear Evo X vs. 08 STI