Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Top Gear Evo X vs. 08 STI

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
The STI is a hatchback, it looks nothing like a station wagon.
Interesting, how come when I Google "08 STI station wagon", "08 impreza station wagon", or "08 subaru station wagon" I get the '08 STI staring back at me as the first image? Must just be me calling it a station wagon

I imagine that those fine gentlemen on Top Gear also feel about the same way as I do. Its a performance car and it looks like a station wagon...that's really hard to get over.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Modified Mag did a review on the new Cobalts in their June issue and it claims 14.2 @ 103 1/4 mile with 0-60 in only 5.7 seconds. 260 hp and 260 tq as well. The car has already made a big statement and so has GM. It beat the FWD record on the Nurburgring by 13 seconds and put a lot of AWD and RWD cars to shame with it's times.

Also with the sti/evo battle, I remember watching the comparison with the FQ320 and the 04? sti I believe and they actually preferred the STI over the Evo. None of their opinions are biased, just logical thoughts with the daily driver in mind.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

The STI is a hatchback, it looks nothing like a station wagon.
Did you post this with a straight face?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Here's a link to a longer version of the same video where The STIG gets to drive both cars.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T...STi_169396.htm

Last edited by ROAD RACE VR-4; Sep 30, 2008 at 06:19 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Paikman GTR
The 08 STi lapped fast than the current evo AND the evo IX if you
want to be top gear loyal.
Rest of the **** is a wash. It does take more to get power out of a STi, since evo's come with a turbo which is 3-4 times larger, if going by mitsu's sizing standards. That's pretty much a DUH lol.
Magazine and bench racing is gay.
Does anyone really believe a cobalt SS is gonna beat them on the street?
In certain situations yes it will. Especially from a roll with a 500 pound weight advantage.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

And? In the Top Gear shootout the STI was the faster car around the track and in the Fifth Gear comparison the STI was fastest. It's no secret that the new STI isn't a track star straight from the factory, the stock suspension is soft and the stock tires aren't sticky enough. However, seeing as how people are arguing that a stock car isn't an issue, you could buy new tires and new sway bars and voila, you have a competitive track car. You'll also notice that the Cobalt SS is faster than the Evo.
Like ODUB said why don't you just leave. You've totally brought down the Ralliart forums with your anti-Mitsubishi and pro-Subaru crap. I'm willing to bet you are 25 years or younger. WRX is the first turbocharged car you've ever owned. You've never done your own turbo swap or any sort of major engine work/modding yourself on a car. Bench racing is the only sort of racing you've done right?

Now you are talking about modding the STI to make it as fast as a stock EVO, what's the point when we are talking stock performance? Remember that all these comparisons use the MR which is slower than the GSR so you can imagine that the GSR would rape an STI around any track. Yes I noticed the the Cobalt SS was faster than the EVO but I noticed the STI was 6 seconds slower which is an eternity.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

You also can't forget how Top Gear compared the MR to a Murcielago around the track and the Lambo could not get away from the MR no matter what. regardless to how different the power to weight ratio was, the MR stayed on his a** the whole time. Even though it's not a fair match-up, they still perform almost equally given the right drivers, track, and conditions.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by evo_Josh
Modified Mag did a review on the new Cobalts in their June issue and it claims 14.2 @ 103 1/4 mile with 0-60 in only 5.7 seconds. 260 hp and 260 tq as well. The car has already made a big statement and so has GM. It beat the FWD record on the Nurburgring by 13 seconds and put a lot of AWD and RWD cars to shame with it's times.

Also with the sti/evo battle, I remember watching the comparison with the FQ320 and the 04? sti I believe and they actually preferred the STI over the Evo. None of their opinions are biased, just logical thoughts with the daily driver in mind.
Motor Trend the SS into the 13's. But I think they might have had a pre-production car that may have had a little more power than the standard production unit.

Plus I remeber them stating that a Teg GSR could do 14's stock. Trust me, I own one......professional driver or no, it doesn't do 14's.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBonus
Did you post this with a straight face?
Yes since it's not a station wagon anymore than a civic hatch is a station wagon.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

You also can't forget how Top Gear compared the MR to a Murcielago around the track and the Lambo could not get away from the MR no matter what. regardless to how different the power to weight ratio was, the MR stayed on his a** the whole time. Even though it's not a fair match-up, they still perform almost equally given the right drivers, track, and conditions.

Top Gear's track is just a level airport tarmac. Different cars do better at different tracks and as cool as handling is, major large displacement HP is better.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
Like ODUB said why don't you just leave. You've totally brought down the Ralliart forums with your anti-Mitsubishi and pro-Subaru crap. I'm willing to bet you are 25 years or younger. WRX is the first turbocharged car you've ever owned. You've never done your own turbo swap or any sort of major engine work/modding yourself on a car. Bench racing is the only sort of racing you've done right?

Now you are talking about modding the STI to make it as fast as a stock EVO, what's the point when we are talking stock performance? Remember that all these comparisons use the MR which is slower than the GSR so you can imagine that the GSR would rape an STI around any track. Yes I noticed the the Cobalt SS was faster than the EVO but I noticed the STI was 6 seconds slower which is an eternity.
Wait, wait, wait, because I don't bow down to the almighty three diamonds I should leave? I've been a member here far longer than you have so why would I leave now? I'm not anti-mitsubishi, as I have said over and over again, I am seriously considering buying an Evo X in the future and I regularly defend the Evo against STI owners.
Actually I had multiple track days this year as well as 4 days of racing school. I also had a heavily modified lancer (that short of the engine work I did myself) and I've installed almost every part on my WRX as well. I have a turbo ready to go in as well as a host of other mods. So I guess that's a swing and a miss again. Moreover considering the car you currently drive, you are not one to point fingers.
When did I say you should modify the STI to be as fast as a stock Evo? The FQ360 isn't a stock Evo, it is modified to have 360 HP, that's 60 more than stock. How is it fair to take a 360 HP car and compare it to a 300 HP car? The car used for the test lap was the MR (since they mention a 6-speed transmission) but as you can see the car in the review is a 5-speed. In other Road and Track tests between the STI and the Evo (both MR and GSR), the Evos win by a few fractions of a second, hardly a raping. There's no denying that the Evo is a potent animal but there's no reason to act like an ignorant fanboy and instantly discount any other car. Hell, the Evo lost to a FWD GM, it's hardly king. With a few mods (ie. tires and sways), the STI can be very competitive and I'm sure with a bit more power (or a bit less weight) the Evo could destroy the Cobalt in every way.
If you want a forum where everyone just sits around singing praises for one car, you might be better served elsewhere. It doesn't the site any good if there isn't actually discussion on subjects as opposed to just "+1" or "da STI iz slowbaru,llolz!?".
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

That was the FQ400 which has 400 HP (as the name indicates).
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Jeremy Clarkson likes the Evo X a lot. I guess it's because of the styling and how easy it is to drive.

But when the Stig drove it around their track. The STi was faster then the Evo FQ-360.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

No, the actual test run was done with the base Evo, not the FQ360. I would be very worried if the 300 HP STI could beat the 360 HP Evo. The difference in the times is minimal but seeing as how people take a difference of a few hundredths as a win for the Evo, I guess it counts as a win for the STI.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

it was the SST 291hp model..it lagged off the line. Once again, the MR FTL

Quick Reply: Top Gear Evo X vs. 08 STI