Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Which Exhaust system to buy for an evo X

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2008, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xtremeboost
that was fast
Old Oct 6, 2008, 04:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Harman Motive Turbo Back Exhaust

Just wanted to add another possibility...Harman Motive has a complete turbo back exhaust system for the Evo X. It can be purchased as a catback and downpipe as well.

Catback:

Downpipe:

A video is also available on our website. Just follow this link. http://www.harmanmotive.com/catalog/...oducts_id=2568

Last edited by Stephen@Harman; Oct 6, 2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

OK so i went with the AMS Single cat back and love it so far.... i will post pictures and a video soon.... They are developing a turbo back also so as soon as that comes out that will be an addition. Added 15 awhp...... Worth considering.....Also with the exhaust sytem wth AMS you can add a dual tip when it is released. Great Exhaust...

Last edited by philamthebest; Oct 6, 2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by midwestX
speedcircuit
y pay a 1000 when u can pay 850. i like the exhaust but not that much maybe if everybody else exhaust was 1100 and above. who knows we'll c i might change my mind im still waiting for ams or perrin tbe
Old Oct 6, 2008, 09:44 PM

IMHO, dual is a waste of money.

I prefer to buy the piping, mufflers and cat myself and weld it all up. I've found I can build my own cheaper and better. Can't tell you how many times I've seen stainless steel exhausts welded up to regular mild steel flanges, steel hangers and using standard steel welding wire/rod, then they throw in regular steel bolts for you to use. Nevermind the welds are sloppy with poor heat penetration, pinholes, spatter all over your nice polished parts. Poor flange fitment, so you crank the **** out of the bolts and it still leaks. Then you've got the guy that has to justify the money he spent on his mandrel bender, so he puts a bunch of bends in that mimic the crappy OEM "crazystraw" design you're trying to get rid of in the first place, when a straight pipe would fit just fine and with minimal clearance issues. My point, be careful what you buy if you're going to buy, there's a lot of sloppy work out there being touted as the next great bolt-on for the EVO X. My advice, take a semester long welding class down at the community college, borrow or rent a welder and do it yourself. Then when everyone likes how well your exhaust performs, sounds and looks, you can make them up for them and sell them at a premium. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by toolapcfan; Oct 6, 2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still curious on the weight of the Buschur dual exhuast? Anyone?

And how bout some more pics of single exhaust exiting, I am not sure if it looks right with the bumper, I need to see in real life I think. Any comments on this, does the X look alright with a single exhaust exiting?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by murlo26
Still curious on the weight of the Buschur dual exhuast? Anyone?
The weight is in the video in the link that I posted of the quiet system. If you didnt watch the video or you missed it its not a big deal. I forgot to answer this question yesterday actually. The stock catback is 43lbs. Our system is only 20lbs. The bullet exhaust is the same.

Gains were as much as 28whp/20ft trq as tested on our Mustang dyno here at the shop.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xtremeboost
Sounds very grinny.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
The weight is in the video in the link that I posted of the quiet system. If you didnt watch the video or you missed it its not a big deal. I forgot to answer this question yesterday actually. The stock catback is 43lbs. Our system is only 20lbs. The bullet exhaust is the same.

Gains were as much as 28whp/20ft trq as tested on our Mustang dyno here at the shop.
Thank you, I must of missed it on the vid. Do you have a few more pics possibly that you could either post or pm me of the bullet exhaust, want something louder than the quiet one, I want to be noticed, I just want to see how the ground clearance looks, thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Thank you, I must of missed it on the vid. Do you have a few more pics possibly that you could either post or pm me of the bullet exhaust, want something louder than the quiet one, I want to be noticed, I just want to see how the ground clearance looks, thanks.
I do not have a side profile of the bullet.

I know a few guys on here posted some but I do not know where exactly they are.

I drove the car for about 800 miles with the bullet system on there and didnt hit anything. That included road kill, speed bumps, etc...

I will tell you the quiet system has more though.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:21 AM

I like the Buschur -

Here's the one on my X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzfOSdbgDMY
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:22 AM

Here are some more as well -

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...uschur+Exhaust
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fusionofideas
Check out Road Race Engineering if you are in california. They custom fab'd a nice turbo back exhaust I saw solid gains with almost 20whp
+1

Seen, heard, and proven in person to me. Also I like the stealth look.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Web9
I like the Buschur -

Here's the one on my X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzfOSdbgDMY
Is that the bullet or the quiet?

I am just afraid the quiet will be too quiet? Is this the case, or does it still have some good sound and dB's to it?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by toolapcfan
IMHO, dual is a waste of money.

I prefer to buy the piping, mufflers and cat myself and weld it all up. I've found I can build my own cheaper and better. Can't tell you how many times I've seen stainless steel exhausts welded up to regular mild steel flanges, steel hangers and using standard steel welding wire/rod, then they throw in regular steel bolts for you to use. Nevermind the welds are sloppy with poor heat penetration, pinholes, spatter all over your nice polished parts. Poor flange fitment, so you crank the **** out of the bolts and it still leaks. Then you've got the guy that has to justify the money he spent on his mandrel bender, so he puts a bunch of bends in that mimic the crappy OEM "crazystraw" design you're trying to get rid of in the first place, when a straight pipe would fit just fine and with minimal clearance issues. My point, be careful what you buy if you're going to buy, there's a lot of sloppy work out there being touted as the next great bolt-on for the EVO X. My advice, take a semester long welding class down at the community college, borrow or rent a welder and do it yourself. Then when everyone likes how well your exhaust performs, sounds and looks, you can make them up for them and sell them at a premium. Ask me how I know.

Ya, I'm sure that a semester long welding class at a community college will yield you an awesome exhaust

Seriously... the jucos around here don't offer the class... and a semester of time + many hundreds of dollars of welding equipment isn't something that most people will even be prepared to think about doing.

(although I would love to learn how to weld).