Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What can I do to not void warranty

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude they honestly suck when it comes to warrantying anything at all. I had clutch problems in 7k miles and the guy who writes down the problem and ispects car before a tech fixes the problem said to me that the reason for that is my wing. I sat there and just gave him the dumb found look like are you ****ing kidding me.. It comes from you guys stock! He had like a look like oh ok. I just got up and left. They suck
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
It depends on your relationship with your dealer more than anything. I had a full catless exhaust, cams and a tune and still had my warranty in tact. I've seen people on here that supposedly had their warranty voided for a BOV too though.

Bottom line: There is no cut and dry line of what will and won't be a problem.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:29 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It really depends on the dealership. Some will work with you to try to get something covered, but most don't. And Mitsu has a track record of denying anything and everything.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

once you bought it it's void. lol
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

only mod is sell the car
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talk to the techs at your dealer. If there are multiple Evo techs, ask each one what their opinions are. If one of them drives a modded Evo of his own, you could be in luck as they might be more understanding. I asked a tech at my dealer and he seemed like a dipsh*t so I figured the safest bet would be to not show up there with my mods installed.

Basically, if I need warranty work, I'll just have to return everything to stock. Limits me to simple bolt ons for now, but I'll make due.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fastkevin
Is this a serious statement, or a joke?
...'cuz my 7-year-old would prolly just charge me one Oreo Snack Cake to do the brakes on my car. But as tempting as it would be to save a lot of money by using a kid to do my brakes, what I pay for the job is far out-weighed by the competence of the person doing the job
As simple as it may be, I'm just not going to do it myself as I'm one of those who would just rather pay someone to do it for me, if that's what you were getting at.

On the other hand, if you're getting at me "cutting costs"...I'm doing repeat business at a shop that I know does quality work.

Thanks.

Last edited by 628; Oct 22, 2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

fack warranty!
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 628
As simple as it may be, I'm just not going to do it myself as I'm one of those who would just rather pay someone to do it for me, if that's what you were getting at.

On the other hand, if you're getting at me "cutting costs"...I'm doing repeat business at a shop that I know does quality work.

Thanks.
He was getting at cutting costs, assuming the cheaper shop was the less reputable one, generally that's true. The place I take my car now is far better than any Porsche dealer and charges almost a full 100 an hour less for work. So I'm sure your situation is no different.

I was the one commenting on how simple it may be. And that's fine you're that type of person, I won't knock you one single bit, especially since I am, and will always be, the same type. If you don't have the time/tools/desire/knowledge or any combo of the four, then you have full excuse to pay someone. If the task at hand cost thousands and was still as simple, then maybe I'd question your motives, or ask why you chose to purchase an Evo.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

from what i know is the ONLY MOD you can have is cat-back exhaust and drop in air filter for the stock aribox.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
He was getting at cutting costs, assuming the cheaper shop was the less reputable one, generally that's true. The place I take my car now is far better than any Porsche dealer and charges almost a full 100 an hour less for work. So I'm sure your situation is no different.

I was the one commenting on how simple it may be. And that's fine you're that type of person, I won't knock you one single bit, especially since I am, and will always be, the same type. If you don't have the time/tools/desire/knowledge or any combo of the four, then you have full excuse to pay someone. If the task at hand cost thousands and was still as simple, then maybe I'd question your motives, or ask why you chose to purchase an Evo.
Ohhhhhh yeah! When it comes to something costing thousands, then it's time for lazy me to bust out the books and learn to do it myself!

But yeah...I pretty much just want to drive my cars and not have to deal with any of the kind of stuff related to maintenance. Occasionally though I would imagine achieving more satisfaction doing the stuff myself, as that's putting more care into the love of my life...my Evo!
Old Oct 23, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

I've had great success with retaining my warranty with both my WRX and Evo IX and they both were adequately modified... by that I mean full exhaust work (turbo back that is), a drop in filter, eibach lowering springs, adjustable anti-roll bars, and wider wheels, an upgraded clutch pack... and Ecutek EM to make the car run proper. The key is to make the damn engine bay and ECU look basically stock and not tampered with... as in no bov's, cone filters, tubular exhaust manifolds, or cuts into the wiring harness that would indicate that you were using a piggyback ECU. This method isn't the cheapest way to crank power though, but it's worth it.

The cool thing about my engine management software was that I could switch it from a performance map over to the stock map by just toggling the defroster button in conjunction with depressing the throttle to the floor while the car was powered up electrically (either with the engine running or with it off)... pretty cool, and the dealer couldn't tell the difference. Shiv did this for me (Vishnu Tuning) and it's a cool secret squirrel trick. It was cool enough for Subaru to give me a new engine after I accumulated 96,600 miles and spun a rod bearing.

As long as the tech can see that you haven't abused the crap out of you car, or that your mod wasn't directly attributed to the component failure... you should be in the clear. Just choose wisely and go with a top tuner that is reputable. A lot of guys don't like Vishnu for some reason (possibly due to the copious amounts of crack they smoke), but I sure as hell do... and so do a lot of car mags like Car and Driver and Sport Compact Car.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I don't try to hide what I have and I also don't look or talk like a sideways cap wearing punk kid. It works for me. (Word to yo ***** dawg ) Catch you on the flip side.

-Russ

Last edited by Mmelmann; Oct 23, 2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only way, and it might not work, is to buy the car, but leave it at the car dealer lot and don't drive it.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:55 AM

I talked to the service manager at my local Mitsu dealership about voiding the warranty. I asked him what I could do and not void it. He pretty much said that if I put on a part that causes something to break, I should put the stock part back on and bring it in.

Pretty shady. They'll never give you a straight answer.

I thought a clutch was a normal wear item and the dealership wouldn't replace it under warranty for that reason?
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

ha... dont change anything. if you still want to have a warranty.

Quick Reply: What can I do to not void warranty