Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Trailer hitch for EVO X, need help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer hitch for EVO X, need help

I need some help guys. I bought this bike rack that fits on trailer hitch for my previous car, now that I have a evo X, I can't seem to find anyone that makes a hitch for the car. I tried Uhaul, curt, draw-tite, none of them makes it. I don't want to spend another 200 - 400 on those roof mounted ones, I am sure you all know why, everyone is holding their pennies tight these days.

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:06 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

I haven't found any info on hitches for the X. But - isn't a hitch going to cost you $250 or so anyways? Sell your old rack on eBay and order up a new roof rack from ORSRacksDirect.com. Do a search and you'll find a coupon code for another 10% off. I have posted all of the details on my roof rack setup here on EvoM.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:50 PM

Wow, I thought a hitch was about $100 or less. At least that's how much it cost for the lancer sedan 08. I am not much of a roof rack fan, it damaged one of my friend's car. It scratched the paint off at the foot... Not sure if its due to faulty installation or just his vw golf... But still, kind of left me a bad impression...
Old Oct 22, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

AMS has a hitch on their X... ask them :P
Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:39 PM

i want to get it as well.

i cant find the trailer hitch on ams website.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

send ams an email....
Old Oct 22, 2008, 09:59 PM

Last time I checked, for their evo VIII, they cut a hole through the licence plate to that hitch through... not sure if we are talking about the same one here.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:31 AM

After doing some more homework, the evo's fat rear is the main issue, I am sure you are all aware of it. Its just barely blocks off the hitch to prevent it from getting some clearance. It looks like it needs to be a custom job, which I think will be expensive. Most curt hitches are like 100 bucks... The ones for 05-07 sti cost about 116... It looks like my thule hitch bike rack will be sitting in storage for a lot longer. If someone finds anything new, please let us know...

Funny thing, did a quick google search for evo hitch, my post came out top three, hehee, I guess there is just not enough demand out there.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 05:58 AM
Former Sponsor

We removed our rear bumper support and welded a receiver to it. The license plate needed to be moved down to access the receiver. It worked well to pull our trailer for 3k miles during Fireball Run.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 12:16 PM

Well, I finally have a update. Not especially good, no one in the market makes one for the EVO X. On the other hand, it looks like Slowboyracing makes one for the EVO IX, and I think they are selling it for a decent price if you call.

For those really interested, I did find a custom solution, you just have to go to specialized trailer hitch shop, and they will work on one for you. The one I called, they say it can be as much as $500 or as low as $300. With this econmy, and my limited income, a trailer hitch is no longer a viable solution for the EVO.

Originally, I thought I could get one for $125, at least most hitch companies had one for the STI. For 500 bucks, I might as well get a beater and pull my mountain bikes around, no need for such speliczed solution!

If anyone else is interested, post here, and maybe we can write a joint letter to some hitch folks to see if they are willing to make one just for the community. I think a typical custom order is like qty 150+... I think
Old May 7, 2009, 11:25 PM

Found something interesting

After a couple months of searching, well, just keeping an open eye for hitches... I found something interesting:

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/imp...e_towbars.html

They have a custom solution, for EVO 8 and 9s in the UK. So with some custom work, a hitch is possible, and removable too.

I wish they had something for the EVO X, I like how it's barely visible!
Old May 8, 2009, 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

Gotta give you props for doing the proper homework...IMO you should get a Yakima rack for the roof. They are designed to fit well and they shouldn't scratch up your paint. For extra protection' you could put some vinyl or the like under the mount points for extra protection. I just can't even imagine an X with a tow hitch stickin' out the rear....
Old May 8, 2009, 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

Read the manual. It clearly states The X is not designed to tow.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:51 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NZEvox
Read the thread, he wants to use it for a bike rack
Old May 8, 2009, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by NZEvox
I was wondering about this. I would NEVER try to pull anything in an Evo. But if you look closely there is a symbol that looks like a trailor with a hitch or something above the LED screen. I think its by the SES light.

Did mitsubishi just use the same piece that came out of an Outlander or something?

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch for EVO X, need help