Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Dealer wants to sell scotch gaurd and some kinda rust protection...worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2008, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer wants to sell scotch gaurd and some kinda rust protection...worth it?

Isn't this something I can do myself? I'm not sure what they do to help rust proof it??
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Don't do it. It's just a way for them to get more money. It's useless.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

+1. Don't do it. My dealer tried to sell me various Evo X OEM accessories (intercooler pipe, strut bar, a few others I can't recall atm) for 1,300. I denied him rather quickly.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Rust protection is useless, the car already has it.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scotch guard as in the fabric protection ? if so yeah you can pick up a can of scotch guard fabric protection from walmart for about 5-6.00. and from my experience it works pretty good for 5 bucks. it gives you more time to pick up a spill and helps prevent spills from staining your interior.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Would you pay somebody $600 to wax your car? if such an awesome coating existed, wouldn't it be more widely known about. The dealer is trying to assrape you on the backend- literally and figuratively.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mike100
Would you pay somebody $600 to wax your car? if such an awesome coating existed, wouldn't it be more widely known about. The dealer is trying to assrape you on the backend- literally and figuratively.
Well to call a detail a "wax job" is discounting it, but ya, I've paid a couple hundred for a detail (and it needs it again).

I was at a Nissan dealer one time and the sales chihuahua was trying to sell me on this 10 million dollar machine that the owner bought that put on a paint protector that meant you never had to wax your car. I laughed so hard people were looking at me from all over the showroom.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 09:49 AM

the best thing to do when they ask to sell you rust protection is to say this:

if the car needs rust protection, the quality of the metal and paint must be pretty bad. do i really want a car that needs rust protection?
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

100% dealer scam...dont do it...I was a num nuts and fell for the spiel when I bought my corvette in 04. Dealer will never honor its the promises it spews with this scam
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

No exactly true you guys.

Two of my previous cars had an undercoating. This wasn't a gimmick, it was a rubbery foam substance that coated the entire undercarriage. It was almost like Rhinoliner for trucks, but for a car. I thought it was great when i lived in the snow areas where they put tons and tons of salt on the roads.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedawd
No exactly true you guys.

Two of my previous cars had an undercoating. This wasn't a gimmick, it was a rubbery foam substance that coated the entire undercarriage. It was almost like Rhinoliner for trucks, but for a car. I thought it was great when i lived in the snow areas where they put tons and tons of salt on the roads.
The scotch guard is definitely a scam.

Actually it is totally true, and you are right too. See, most cars worth anything for a long time have had rust/salt/etc protection. As long as you're washing it decent amounts, no need to worry. That's where they are right. Where you are right is that it does help prevent rust and salt etc damage even more, especially in places like you said. BUT, my car has been in Utah and Idaho all it's life (little over 10 years) and driven in most of the winters, and the bottom looks just fine and definitely isn't coated in some aftermarket dealer bs.

Hell, my grandpa's truck from the late 80s has barely any rust/salt damage on the bottom of it, and granted: it isn't driven that much (57k miles on it is all) but it also is washed even less.

So, basically: if you plan on keeping your car for 20+ years, or not washing it EVER, it is worth it. I doubt the rest of the car will survive 20+ years without major work, and I'd hope you would wash your car at the very very least once a month.