Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How Much for a new Evo / Is this a good deal? *Sticky/Merge* (Includes EvoM vendors)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyStark29
what i dont understand is how can the price of one car vary so much when it costs a fixed amount to make
Dealerships can ask whatever they want for the car. And based on how much they can get the car for and make some money off of it, they do what they want. Also based on different locations you can see different costs added in from dealership fees to state taxes and registrations.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TonyStark29
what i dont understand is how can the price of one car vary so much when it costs a fixed amount to make
Depending on sales volume which drives purchasing power, big dealers don't pay invoice, they pay less.

Big dealers pay less, small dealers pay more.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those of you that have bought an EVO from a dealer that did not have the package, color, or whatever....did you guys have to pay more for the car if the dealer could find it elsewhere?

I've been talking to the local dealer about getting an MR w/ Touring in blue. They only have two whites (one w/ Touring and Navi and the other with Premium)...and I can't even get them close to what South Coast is selling them for. To top it off, they are saying that if they have to find one for me and I don't buy anything from that is on their lot, they will charge me close to MSRP due to shipping costs, etc. Is this for real? Don't they have a truck delivery on a regular basis that can just pick up the car during one of their scheduled deliveries? Ugh. I guess it just means that I have to go down to South Coast.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 07:37 AM

I'm also in the market for a 2012 Evolution X, gray with sun & sound. I am working with a dealer and got a price of $500 under invoice. Down side is the dealer can't find a car in the color I want with those options so they will have to order it from the factory.

Anyone know how long it will take to make it state side? Also is $500 under invoice reasonable? This does not include military or loyalty discounts.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pinegreen
For those of you that have bought an EVO from a dealer that did not have the package, color, or whatever....did you guys have to pay more for the car if the dealer could find it elsewhere?

I've been talking to the local dealer about getting an MR w/ Touring in blue. They only have two whites (one w/ Touring and Navi and the other with Premium)...and I can't even get them close to what South Coast is selling them for. To top it off, they are saying that if they have to find one for me and I don't buy anything from that is on their lot, they will charge me close to MSRP due to shipping costs, etc. Is this for real? Don't they have a truck delivery on a regular basis that can just pick up the car during one of their scheduled deliveries? Ugh. I guess it just means that I have to go down to South Coast.
For them to get a different one in, they either need to pay for it and ship it to their dealership or trade something for it but still ship it, so yes they would have to generally cahrge a higher price. And so far I have yet to see anyone come even close to South Coast's prices. You may as well just order and ship.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kiddsm95
I'm also in the market for a 2012 Evolution X, gray with sun & sound. I am working with a dealer and got a price of $500 under invoice. Down side is the dealer can't find a car in the color I want with those options so they will have to order it from the factory.

Anyone know how long it will take to make it state side? Also is $500 under invoice reasonable? This does not include military or loyalty discounts.
500 under seems nice, but i would be surprised if they still give it to you for that after it gets stateside if you order one. the one that was ordered for me took about 3-4 months to get over here. they tried hitting me much higher for ordering one in which is why i didnt buy one from them.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wildcat Birdie
For them to get a different one in, they either need to pay for it and ship it to their dealership or trade something for it but still ship it, so yes they would have to generally cahrge a higher price. And so far I have yet to see anyone come even close to South Coast's prices. You may as well just order and ship.
Thanks for the info. It looks like I will be contacting South Coast. It's only a 6 hour drive but I wanted to try and keep it in local only to try to help out the local economy...but I guess that's not going to happen. Oh well.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info. It looks like I will be contacting South Coast. It's only a 6 hour drive but I wanted to try and keep it in local only to try to help out the local economy...but I guess that's not going to happen. Oh well.
I would have went there if I wasnt so far away. I live south Texas so its a pretty long drive for me. I would also have to factor in the costs of travel and missed work. I could have bought from them and had it shipped but I also had a trade in so it was easier for me to buy local for a high cost. But I agree with others, it appears you will not find a better selection and cheaper prices. And 6 hours away is not bad at all. I would make that drive just to see 60 Evo's in person.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

6 hours is not bad. I am looking into having them ship one to my house in Wisconsin just so I can have a deal. When its saving you 3-4K after throwing it on a truck and transporting, its still a good deal.

Originally Posted by Kendogg
I would have went there if I wasnt so far away. I live south Texas so its a pretty long drive for me. I would also have to factor in the costs of travel and missed work. I could have bought from them and had it shipped but I also had a trade in so it was easier for me to buy local for a high cost. But I agree with others, it appears you will not find a better selection and cheaper prices. And 6 hours away is not bad at all. I would make that drive just to see 60 Evo's in person.
South Coast told me they dont do out of state trades anyways. I was going to do that. But yeah, I understand, but like I said, just get it shipped on a truck to your place and still save money, then sell your current car outright (you would make more off of it that way)
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

South Coast told me they dont do out of state trades anyways. I was going to do that. But yeah, I understand, but like I said, just get it shipped on a truck to your place and still save money, then sell your current car outright (you would make more off of it that way)
Depending on a persons income/credit you might have to sale your current vehicle outright first. If you are needing to get approved for financing, it might be difficult to get approved for a $30k+ Evo when you are already into payments on a $20k+ car.

But if you can sale your current ride first or if you have the credit/income to have two payments for awhile, then this might be a good way to go.

If I had known that this dealership was selling the Evo's for this price and had over 60 of them in stock I probably would have tried to get approved for the loan locally and then sold my current car at that time to carmax or something.

One thing to keep in mind (for TX atleast) is that if you trade in a vehicle you dont pay taxes on that amount for the new car. For example my Evo was $33k. I owed $20k on my trade in and the dealership gave me $18k. So instead of paying taxes on $33k, I paid taxes on the difference of $15k. If I had bought the car from Southcoast, I would have paid full taxes on it. And then if I sold my old car, I wouldnt have got any tax break. Atleast that is my understanding of how it works.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kendogg
Depending on a persons income/credit you might have to sale your current vehicle outright first. If you are needing to get approved for financing, it might be difficult to get approved for a $30k+ Evo when you are already into payments on a $20k+ car.

But if you can sale your current ride first or if you have the credit/income to have two payments for awhile, then this might be a good way to go.

If I had known that this dealership was selling the Evo's for this price and had over 60 of them in stock I probably would have tried to get approved for the loan locally and then sold my current car at that time to carmax or something.

One thing to keep in mind (for TX atleast) is that if you trade in a vehicle you dont pay taxes on that amount for the new car. For example my Evo was $33k. I owed $20k on my trade in and the dealership gave me $18k. So instead of paying taxes on $33k, I paid taxes on the difference of $15k. If I had bought the car from Southcoast, I would have paid full taxes on it. And then if I sold my old car, I wouldnt have got any tax break. Atleast that is my understanding of how it works.
The tax thing goes for anywhere.... and I thought about selling mine, buying a beater to last until the Evo gets here... still trying to get it all figured out on how I can do it.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:28 PM

6 hours is not bad. I am looking into having them ship one to my house in Wisconsin just so I can have a deal. When its saving you 3-4K after throwing it on a truck and transporting, its still a good deal.

Damn, still saving 3-4k after trasportation charges to almost the other side of the continent...they must be charging crazy prices there.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Damn, still saving 3-4k after trasportation charges to almost the other side of the continent...they must be charging crazy prices there.
The last deal I got was putting it maybe a grand under MSRP so approximately 36K. 32K at south coast for the same car just a 2011 instead of 2012 and 700 to ship it here.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 04:06 AM
Evolving Member

500 under seems nice, but i would be surprised if they still give it to you for that after it gets stateside if you order one. the one that was ordered for me took about 3-4 months to get over here. they tried hitting me much higher for ordering one in which is why i didnt buy one from them.
Dang that sucks. I got lucky when I ordered mine, and they gave me invoice. I could tell they really didn't want to, but another dealership in my area had the EXACT same car I ordered, so I used that as leverage. Should be here within 2 weeks
Old Mar 9, 2012, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NOSintake
Dang that sucks. I got lucky when I ordered mine, and they gave me invoice. I could tell they really didn't want to, but another dealership in my area had the EXACT same car I ordered, so I used that as leverage. Should be here within 2 weeks
Yeah I told my dealership that I could get one shipped to me that might be a 2011 but its still the same car for MUCH cheaper than they were willing to sell me one, and I said I could even get a 2012 shipped to my doorstep for cheaper than they are offering. They tried giving me the story of, well then you have other state fees involved, blah blah blah. I just said, look I already know all the BS involved, and they are still much cheaper. Plus they tried hitting me at a 6.9% credit through Mitsu and I was like, I am already approved at a 3.9% for a 60 month loan. This dealership ended up trying to screw me over, so I told them to sit on the car and deal with another one sitting on the lot that arent moving too quick. They have three sitting there that have been there for a while, not able to move. So maybe after sitting on it for a couple months, they will come back and give the deal i wanted just to move it.

Quick Reply: How Much for a new Evo / Is this a good deal? *Sticky/Merge* (Includes EvoM vendors)