Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How Much for a new Evo / Is this a good deal? *Sticky/Merge* (Includes EvoM vendors)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scottatyamaha
How can you tell him to shoot for $34k otd? Do you know his tax/tag/title rate? What if his tax is 8% of cash price or what if it is like it is here in SC and capped at $300 max no matter how much the car costs. Lets talk in the sales price of the car.
I did state that I feel there is another 2,000 to move on that car... so considering you passed 2nd grade math:
34,000 - 2,000 = 32,000 + TTL
Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
So I saw this red Evo X on ebay with the Aero and SSS package for sale... he had a buy it now for like 35k something, so I emailed him and told him before I would offer him 34 OTD for it. He declined and so I said fine... then after having my car sold and my other car now paid off I emailed him again to ask if he would like to change his mind. I also added that I had gotten a price of 34,2 from another dealer. I explained that I had already been approved for the 0% and if he wanted to do the deal I would be up by mid week or at latest the weekend. He basically called me a liar about the quote I had gotten from another dealer and said this ( copied from my email:

Hello
I will match the other dealers price and bet it. and gladly do your price. but not on this EVO. we both know this is not the same car you are getting quote on. so please let me know when you are available to schedule an appointment for you to pick your new EVO.
Thank you so much look forward working with you.

I can't stand someone trying to call me a liar in a nice way, so I responded with the following..

I actually have a quote from a dealer in Va for 33,9 for an 08 in white with SSS and Aero, I also have a listing from a dealer out in the midwest who is willing to ship me a base GSR for 28,3. I don't BS and make false quotes but I was attempting to not have to drive 3-4 hours to get one. By the low amout of bids that you got it doesn't appear that car will be going anywhere to soon, good luck with the sale on the price you have... you're going to need an ignorant buyer to get it.

Long story short, they aren't willing to come down so stay away from getting ripped off.
So because they would not match your low ball offer they are ripping people off??? $35k for a GSR w/SSS and Aero is around $3k off of MSRP......where is the ripoff??
Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zivman
I did state that I feel there is another 2,000 to move on that car... so considering you passed 2nd grade math:
34,000 - 2,000 = 32,000 + TTL

I will give you that. But dont talk OTD unless you know the tax rate/tag/ reg prices for the specific state someone is buying the car in. One persons out the door of $34k in Cali will have about a $2100 difference in sales price from the same car for $34k otd here in SC.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

So because they would not match your low ball offer they are ripping people off??? $35k for a GSR w/SSS and Aero is around $3k off of MSRP......where is the ripoff??
around me, I am seeing 3600-3800 off MSRP right off the bat... no negotiating. In surrounding states I am seeing 17-18% off MSRP.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

I dont know what invoice is or cost on the car, but how is $1k under invoice as you say not a good deal?? You are saying that invoice on that car is $35k and lets says that the dealer as a 5% retail reserve "max" to cost on the car. We will say that the car with SSS and Nav has a list of $38,000. So 5% of $38k = $1900 retail reserve "holdback". So cost on the car from what you say invoice is, is roughly $33,100.

So you are saying that $900 above dealer cost is not a good deal??? What would you expect?
It looks like you can read. It's not that good of a deal. That's exactly what I said. The car can be had for cheaper and thats the bottom line. Sticker on mine was 38,0XX and I got it for 31,750 (including 500 Mitsubishi rebate). That's remedial math. Figure it out. So keep dealer holdback and market adjustments out of this equation because this is checkers not chess. It sounds like your *** is chapped because you paid more than you should have. You find the right dealer, at the right time and you have what they call leverage in your back pocket. And no, my deal wasn't a one off deal. I sent another member on this forum there and he got just about the same deal down to the pennies.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zivman
around me, I am seeing 3600-3800 off MSRP right off the bat... no negotiating. In surrounding states I am seeing 17-18% off MSRP.
This is true but he OP saying that the dealer is ripping people off because their discount off of MSRP was not high enough for him to buy is a out of line. No way shape or form are they ripping people off. The OP was out of line on his comment. More power to the better deal but downing a company/dealer for not meeting your price is no reason to call ripoff. Save that claim for the real slime *****.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
It looks like you can read. It's not that good of a deal. That's exactly what I said. The car can be had for cheaper and thats the bottom line. Sticker on mine was 38,0XX and I got it for 31,750 (including 500 Mitsubishi rebate). That's remedial math. Figure it out. So keep dealer holdback and market adjustments out of this equation because this is checkers not chess. It sounds like your *** is chapped because you paid more than you should have. You find the right dealer, at the right time and you have what they call leverage in your back pocket. And no, my deal wasn't a one off deal. I sent another member on this forum there and he got just about the same deal down to the pennies.

Ok thats great more power to you. I like to hear when people get a great deal. I now know that your idea of a "good deal" is when you buy the car at or below cost.

Many other peoples idea of a good deal would be buying the car for invoice. So I would say he is getting a good deal.

So why dont we compromise and say that he is getting a "fair deal"? lol
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

I do agree with you but there are many out there getting rock bottom prices on the X and one can easily thank the economy. AFAIK, VIIIs and IX weren't flying out the door at these prices. I'm really not trying to brag but moreso let everyone know that dealers that don't want to budge on price just don't waste time on them and move on. There is a dealer out there that would rather conform and move them instead of having them sit. Under other circumstances I would say he is getting a grea deal. 1K under invoice would normally be great.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

This is true but he OP saying that the dealer is ripping people off because their discount off of MSRP was not high enough for him to buy is a out of line. No way shape or form are they ripping people off. The OP was out of line on his comment. More power to the better deal but downing a company/dealer for not meeting your price is no reason to call ripoff. Save that claim for the real slime *****.
a dealer will only rip you off if you let them. As a buyer, I have found some deeply discounted cars compared to a lot of the numbers I am seeing posted. That said, I have yet to sign any papers on a car because I haven't found a dealer with the EXACT car I want, nor are those deep discounts enough to make me pull the trigger on a car that has a few extras that I am not looking for.

There are very few dealers in my area, and as a result, refuse to go more than about 4 grand off a car. Looking in other areas, I can get double that. I don't feel the dealers are ripping anyone off as the car is worth what a person is willing to pay. It seems I know better than my local dealers that they will not find a buyer at the prices they are willing to sell these cars for. I simple left my contact info with them and the price I was looking to pay on the cars they had on the lot and told them to call me if the numbers work. I have turned my search outside the state and am in contact with a couple other dealers. If they numbers are too high, I won't complain about being ripped of, I will simply say thanks for your time... if in time you feel you can work a deal around the numbers I want, call me.

Cliff notes: Noone is forcing anyone to buy these cars. If the dealers won't get to the price you think is fair, walk away and nobody gets ripped off

Last edited by Zivman; Jan 20, 2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Why would you want to make an offer based on MSRP? First thing I do is ask what the invoice on the car is, and then make an offer from there. No one in my area is buying Evo X's so the cars are just sitting on the lots, and have been for the past 6-7 months. There's a red one by me that was on the showroom floor until they got an MR on. Guess what, neither of them sold. They want 36k for a GSR with SSS. Its hilarious.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

Ok thats great more power to you. I like to hear when people get a great deal. I now know that your idea of a "good deal" is when you buy the car at or below cost.

Many other peoples idea of a good deal would be buying the car for invoice. So I would say he is getting a good deal.

So why dont we compromise and say that he is getting a "fair deal"? lol
34k+ttl does not seem like a "fair" deal to me.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what the arguing is about... no dealer pays invoice and everyone who has done their research knows this... they have the hold back, and then depending on the size of the dealer, they have other incentives they get from the car companies such as a bonus for how many cars are sold per month, etc. All said and done I have no idea what a dealer pays for one of these but it's AT LEAST 1,000.00 under the invoice price and if the truth is known probably more like 2-3000 less. So when you refer to people trying to " lowball " a dealership, let me inform you of something... there is no such thing as no matter what price you get the car for, they are still making money on them, and right now they are trying to get them off the lot as fast as possible because as one dealer told me they start booking them, which means they go by a lower value and have to drop their prices even more.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

^ Generally the cost of the car is about 5% of MSRP lower than the invoice of the car.

Example a EVO X with a MSRP of lets say $38k has a invoice of lets say $35k.

5% x $38k = $1900 "holdback" So if they sell you the car for invoice at $35k they may be making $1900. The reason I say they may make $1900 is because they may have additional costs, like PDI or "juice" which is the interest they are paying to have the car sit on the lot, generally longer than six months. So "NO" car dealers do not always make money on a car sale.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

See post #368

Last edited by DarwinX; Jan 22, 2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarwinX
I'm 0 for 2 so far.

Note: All prices mentioned below include the destination charge of $695, and all three agreed to give me full Edmunds trade-in value for my two trades.

First up was Cornerstone Mitsubishi in Wilmington. After letting me test drive a dark grey GSR, they then wanted $400 over invoice on a red GSR with only SSS PLUS $400 ad fee. Yeah right.

Next was Michaud Mitsubishi in Danvers. After spending 1 1/2 hrs there, we agreed to a deal of $750 under invoice on a silver GSR with SSS, sport interior pkg, and wheels locks (plus 1/2 the cost of 3M clear bra, $250 my cost...and wholesale cost of mud flaps & brake cooling kit...no labor cost). When we got to the P&S, I noticed that the base invoice price was listed as $31,694. I then told them that the invoice of a base GSR was $31,093, but they told me that I (along with Edmunds & Kelly Blue Book) were wrong. So I walked.

Next up will be Westboro Mitsubishi. I've been there once already, checking out a silver GSR with SSS, aero pkg, and sport interior pkg...but they wouldn't go any lower than $35,000 (and a total price of $349, at cost to them, for 3M clear bra). After two days they gave me a call at home. I will now offer them for the same car $34,500 ($767 under invoice) and the same $349 deal for the 3M clear bra.

I'll let you know how things go.
go out to Cali, buy one and drive it home then lol ... you'll get it much cheaper than that.

Quick Reply: How Much for a new Evo / Is this a good deal? *Sticky/Merge* (Includes EvoM vendors)