Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Well I finally got reasonable seat time in an Evo X.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2008, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So let's get this straight... You admit that the X feels even faster than your IX. You admit that the X is a nice step up as far as interior. You liked the brakes. You didn't comment on handling, but everyone knows that the X handles like no other. All this and yet this car won't hold a special place in car history?
Old Nov 1, 2008, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Transmission: I don't like the way the GSR's shift in fact it's not only rough it's pretty much terrible

thats the only reason i bought the mr.the mr trans is not all that great either.should have suck with the evo 9.nice write up.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 10:17 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

What body panels do the Xs share with the regular GSR? The front doors and the trunk? Oh, just like the IXs.... Every time I went to look at a X there was a kid in it sat there pretending to be a race car driver (one of the reasons I'll never buy a car in the showroom). I get kids pointing at me and waving all the time in my X.

But, if all you care about in a car is how other people perceive you then the GT3 RS is right up your alley and you won't be disappointed. A large majority of your Porsche driving brethren will also see eye to eye with you. I have never bought a car to try and impress someone else so the X is right up MY alley.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steinvb12
You're comparing the X to a car that costs 3x more!! NO S***!!

The great thing about the X is you can put $10K in it, and it will smoke the GT3RS.
Yes you can but at the end of the day its not a Porsche. I could not care less about the name but it will not have the style, interior, engine symphony, drivetrain, nor experience of owning a GT3RS. Maybe I'm just over the whole buy a 30k+ and drop another 10-20 in it deal.

It's kind of like you can make an Evo faster than a Pagani Zonda but it will never ever deliver the experience that a Pagani will. In fact a Porsche would not deliver that experience. There's a reason why these cars cost so much and once you've driven a few you'll begin to understand that its more about the all around package, not just one area. There's no way you'll convince me an X's interior is on-par with a GT3RS and ohhhh the sounds that flat 6 makes when it screams is nothing short of phenomenal.

Last edited by Boostfiend; Nov 1, 2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UFO
What body panels do the Xs share with the regular GSR? The front doors and the trunk? Oh, just like the IXs.... Every time I went to look at a X there was a kid in it sat there pretending to be a race car driver (one of the reasons I'll never buy a car in the showroom). I get kids pointing at me and waving all the time in my X.

But, if all you care about in a car is how other people perceive you then the GT3 RS is right up your alley and you won't be disappointed. A large majority of your Porsche driving brethren will also see eye to eye with you. I have never bought a car to try and impress someone else so the X is right up MY alley.
This is the major problem with this board, reading comprehension and the set desire to attack someone rather than understand their point of view. Why have I said the X is not special? Because it's not and I understand you're going to defend the car you drive until you no longer own it. 996 Porsche anything is not special, yes it's a Porsche and yes if you see one on the road you may thing that's nice but it holds no place in history. Years later you won't see anyone speaking of a 996 Turbo like you will an E30 or Superbird etc.

I think there are a few evo's that are not special although they are Evo's people will remember the V's VI's VI's and IX's. In fact people are still raving about the 9's and the car is going on three years old. The new Evo is civilized and when the Evo XI rolls out the Evo X will just be another evo. It won't be a Tommi Makinen, it won't be an FQ400, it'll just be another car.

If you re-read you'll see that I typed you should not buy a car for other people, it's clearly stated in my message. I will be buying a Porsche because I'm tired of AWD cars, I'm not going to sell my Evo but surely I'm over the ease of AWD drivetrains. In fact I've been driving my friends S2000 more and more to up my driving skill. I want a Porsche because PCNA does more track days than any other group in America with ACNA being a close by. My point of looking was that I didn't get any kids pointing and wishing it was their car and like I said kids are a good indication of a car being "abnormal" or "outstanding" because they could not care less about brand name if it looks out of the norm. Either way to close this thread it is MY opinion and time will tell, if I'm wrong then I'm wrong no harm no foul and I'm not going to cry. If I'm right I surely won't pull a Richard Hammond and request you congratulate me. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Boostfiend; Nov 1, 2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
he will tell his parents to buy him a SPECIAL Enzo as a present for graduating from a Sunday School

Originally Posted by Evo-L
What happens when one passes you on the track in your GT3RS
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

I thought the review seemed well written without bias. I don't understand why people are getting all butthurt!

997 GT2 is SO SEX!!!
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:08 AM

Ok......can I see your crystal ball because it seems you know what car is going to be remembered and not.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You aren't wrong but you aren't right as your opinion is only your own. As long as a car is special to me that's all that counts. It's all relative as my wife and many wouldn't look twice at a Porsche while you obviously lust for one. It seems that VIII and IX drivers are the only ones saying this kind of stuff. Hell even many Subie owners on NASIOC are envious of the X compared to the soft 2008 STI. Now that's a car that probably won't be remembered as special. A guy across the street with a 2008 Lancer GTS seems to get allot of attention from kids walking to school and that's not even an EVO.

I bought the MR2 because I hadn't owned RWD in a while and it's nice but I think I still prefer AWD but to each his own. You obviously don't like the X and that's fine but don't try to tell me that it's not going to be a special car because I'll be the judge of what I consider special.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that it wont be held as high in car history as an evo ix or evo vi.
I still think tho like every other evo out there it will still be a special car. But i feel where you are coming from because when i see an evo ix or viii i get a special feeling seeing it and I dont really feel that way about the x. It seems like its no longer the amazing little sports car that the evos used to be. I mean i am not saying the evo x is not a great car because it indeed is but it just doesnt have the same presence that the older evos had and still do have
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

whoever said you can make the X fast enough to keep up with a GT3 Porsche is missing the point (or rather hasn't ever been in one). I have- they're pretty awesome, but the engine cost more than the a whole new evo. I wouldn't want to pay for the brakes either- but damn, do they ever work good.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

I like his write up and all but how do u know that this car won't be remembered? Its only been out for 11 months. Ppl still talk about the IX 3 years later because its so called "The Last of the real Evo's" many VIII and IX owners on here don't like the X cause it took a different route than the rest. I understand that u think its a great car but u wont buy one and thats fine but u cannot say the X won't be special remember this is a brand new car from the ground up no one has really tapped into the potential it has, the 4G63 had been around 18 years its a proven engine but we never really got the Evo experience until the VIII came stateside and i feel that is why the VIII & IX are "memorable" to us here in the U.S. Dont get me wrong they are awesome cars and have done great things but they aren't as great compared to the V or VI. Ever since the VII the Evo has been getting more refined for the street but its still an Evo and will always deliver performance for the buck. They are preparing the X for rally and Mitsubishi did confirm they are making FQ 400 version so give it time to prove itself.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
as a mechanic, i've driven porsches. eh, you can take it or leave it. i was not impressed. i've driven some high end cars and the whole "it's german engineering" thing has never impressed me. over 13 years of being a mechanic and driven 100's, if not thousands of cars, (who's counting?), it comes down to personal preference. porsche may be your cup of tea, but to me, overpriced garbage. just like beamer, rolls, bently, and the list goes on, and on. (if you thought the evo had problems, lol). i'm not saying the evo is the best, but it does offer alot in terms of practicality, speed, modification, and safety. for 30k. good luck.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=Boostfiend;6300912]This is the major problem with this board, reading comprehension and the set desire to attack someone rather than understand their point of view. Why have I said the X is not special? Because it's not and I understand you're going to defend the car you drive until you no longer own it. 996 Porsche anything is not special, yes it's a Porsche and yes if you see one on the road you may thing that's nice but it holds no place in history. Years later you won't see anyone speaking of a 996 Turbo like you will an E30 or Superbird etc.

Why do you consider a 996tt not a special car?
Old Nov 1, 2008, 04:06 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boostfiend
This is the major problem with this board, reading comprehension and the set desire to attack someone rather than understand their point of view. Why have I said the X is not special? Because it's not and I understand you're going to defend the car you drive until you no longer own it. 996 Porsche anything is not special, yes it's a Porsche and yes if you see one on the road you may thing that's nice but it holds no place in history. Years later you won't see anyone speaking of a 996 Turbo like you will an E30 or Superbird etc.

I think there are a few evo's that are not special although they are Evo's people will remember the V's VI's VI's and IX's. In fact people are still raving about the 9's and the car is going on three years old. The new Evo is civilized and when the Evo XI rolls out the Evo X will just be another evo. It won't be a Tommi Makinen, it won't be an FQ400, it'll just be another car.

If you re-read you'll see that I typed you should not buy a car for other people, it's clearly stated in my message. I will be buying a Porsche because I'm tired of AWD cars, I'm not going to sell my Evo but surely I'm over the ease of AWD drivetrains. In fact I've been driving my friends S2000 more and more to up my driving skill. I want a Porsche because PCNA does more track days than any other group in America with ACNA being a close by. My point of looking was that I didn't get any kids pointing and wishing it was their car and like I said kids are a good indication of a car being "abnormal" or "outstanding" because they could not care less about brand name if it looks out of the norm. Either way to close this thread it is MY opinion and time will tell, if I'm wrong then I'm wrong no harm no foul and I'm not going to cry. If I'm right I surely won't pull a Richard Hammond and request you congratulate me. Thanks for reading.
That's great that you put that one sentence in there, but the rest of your post was the complete opposite and it seems quite obvious you see a car as a status symbol. My reading apprehension is awesome thanks, I went to school and everything. The IX is certainly not an iconic car that will be remembered and I really don't see where you get that idea. The X IS special because of the handling, especially in the USDM, because it outshines all of the previous models. The X is a step in a slightly different direction while somewhat holding on to the heritage of the vehicle. Have you heard it's doing decently well in rallies too??

You don't have to preach to me about the 996:

BUT, I got more looky loos in that car than any of my Evos. My Mitsubishi also has better interior. Go figure.

Quick Reply: Well I finally got reasonable seat time in an Evo X.