Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Well I finally got reasonable seat time in an Evo X.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I finally got reasonable seat time in an Evo X.

Both MR and GSR and here's what I think about them. Let me start off by saying yes I am an Evo IX MR owner and this is my 2nd one, I am in no way loyal to IX's nor Mitsubishi in fact these cars have been my college "learning" cars. I've owned an E46 M3, Audi S4, STi, a WRX, Skyline GT-R M-Spec Nur (internship) and two E36 M3's, and my graduation car is likely to be a Porsche GT3RS now let me start with the review.

Interior: I liked it the car is refined and I like the fact that the gauges have been cleaned up drastically. The middle info panel is an excellent addition to the evo's and I wish the IX's had them. Though the screen is a little cheasy when compared to Lexus or Audi it works and it keeps the raw nature of Evo's. The seats are incredible in fact I'd wager to say a lot better than the Evo IX seats and definitely a step up. All in all it's a well put together interior with my only gripe being the seats are all suede and not a combo which makes it feel plasticy. However, that does keep the street prepped race car feel that Evolution's deliver.

Exterior: It's ok, I mean I feel like it stole a lot of things from other car companies and threw it all into one machine. With that being said it looks a lot better in person than it does in pictures. The GSR I drove had coilovers and wheels so it did have an aggressive stance. However the car doesn't really look that good stock and the fenders just don't growl at me like a lion trying to impress its mate. It also isn't far off from looking EXACTLY like a regular Lancer (I know the Evo is based off the lancer but I don't believe the previous models bare as much a resmblence as the Evo X and new Lance). The brakes are huge though.

Engine: I actually liked it because it felt like it delivered. Even if the 0-60 times are quoted to be slower than the IX's the car felt faster on the butt dyno and I'm going to attribute that to Mivec on the intake an exhaust side. It had a pretty good powerband stock and with the turbocharger being closer to the cabin it howled. The GSR gave me the holy crap feeling while the MR not so much. Both were a blast to drive though.

Transmission: I don't like the way the GSR's shift in fact it's not only rough it's pretty much terrible. I'd expect it in a built time attack car or even a semi-modded evo with an exedy twin-plate (known to have problems) but not a stock car. Second gear isn't smooth. The MR's transmission is wonderful and I HATE HATE HATE automatics with a passion. I can see why there was such a delay with the MR's transmission though because it's butter until you start to beat the crap out of it. Then that's where the GSR's transmission shines because as you warm it up it only gets better whereas the MR is the opposite. You can feel the transmission running out of huff in the MR.

Brakes: Excellent

Overall: As good as the X's are they're just not worth the money IMO. Now before I get attacked let me explain myself. They are worth the money for those who want a nice evo with amenities. This exact attribute of the car is what takes everything away from it, because no one is going to remember an E92 BMW M3, no one is going to remember, a C32 AMG, no one is going to remember the new toyota Celica or MR2, and I hate to say it but no one will remember the Evo X.

The Evo X is a car and just a car, its not a niche car a specialty car, and its not a car that stops time, creates wonder, or instills excitement. No one is going to call an E30, E36, or E46 M crap or debate that they are all GREAT cars but the E92 is just another car. The Evo X is great all around but it's not special. Walking out to either of them I never got the feeling that this car is different from the others on the road. I drove the GSR for a whole day and never did anyone other than a few punk kids in baggy clothes look at it. In fact the reason why I think people are having an easier time deciding between the Evo X and New M3 is because neither of them are special, they have become tools or better yet an appliance to get from A to B with a few speed burst. Neither hold a place in history though as previously stated.

I believe children are the best judgement for car appeal and the WOW factor. I drive next to mini-vans in my evo IX and I always get some kid that waves, gets excited and starts shaking his little teddy because my car is not like daddy or mommy's. I never got that with the X and I rode next to a few cars with kids. Every car before the IX is "cool" it has a wow factor. Almost similar to that of say a lotus elise or a noble. You shouldn't buy cars for other people but what I am saying is the car doesn't hold a special place in car history or peoples hearts. It's the same thing with the new STi that car is no longer special. The MR is the Goth kid who got fed up and started sporting Abercrombie t-shirts to fit in with the better looking more popular jocks, but the transition is just awkward.

All in all the car performs wonderful mitsu got rid of the understeer for the most part and the S-AYC works better due to the car having more weight. I drove a UK IX model with S-AYC and it's almost a killer, literally. So I say congrats on making an all around car Mitsu, but I am dissappointed to say that while making such a well rounded car you have become one of the sheep; the toyota's of the market, you have sold your only specialty vehicle's soul to the devil and let him spread the sample of pleasure in a tame form. Evolutions are not GT's, they're not "performance sedans," they are supposed to be race bred street cars for that small market that wants pure performance and not unnecessary gadgets. I'm 50/50 on them and can understand why someone would purchase one, however the car just is not for me.

[Edit] I would like to add that I understand some or most of you won't agree with some or all of my write-up but this is an opinion based solely on my experience and is a self expression of my very own impressions of these two cars.

Last edited by Boostfiend; Nov 1, 2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:56 AM
Former Sponsor

What happens when one passes you on the track in your GT3RS
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:58 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

I bought an Evo 10 and traded in my Evo 8 exactly because I don't want people to notice me and try to race me and cops notice me and pull me over. I'm over 30 and don't need to attract attention or make loud noises.

I also like the nicer ride and added comfort for the daily drive. I don't feel like I'm in race mode every moment like in my old Evo.

I can drive it every day and it is stealth in a sea of other sedans. I can take it out to the track and turn some fun laps and go out to dinner at a nice restaurant in the same car and not be embarrassed. It's great.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 01:00 AM
Evolving Member

Very nice, thoughtful write up, I feel the same way as you.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo-L
What happens when one passes you on the track in your GT3RS
I don't drag race, so nothing happens. Never said they can't be made fast, but it takes a lot more than flooring it out of a turn and high hp to outrun a properly driven GT3RS. Sure a 400whp one would be hard to keep up with, but hey its run what you brung and I can respect that. If a car's faster I'll give it props however you will NEVER EVER be able to tell me that the overall driving experience in an Evo X is better than one in a GT3RS.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ZK
I bought an Evo 10 and traded in my Evo 8 exactly because I don't want people to notice me and try to race me and cops notice me and pull me over. I'm over 30 and don't need to attract attention or make loud noises.

I also like the nicer ride and added comfort for the daily drive. I don't feel like I'm in race mode every moment like in my old Evo.

I can drive it every day and it is stealth in a sea of other sedans. I can take it out to the track and turn some fun laps and go out to dinner at a nice restaurant in the same car and not be embarrassed. It's great.
i disagree on the noticeing part. when i first got it ppl would constantly stare at the car. the cops generally dont notice which is a surprise, but everybody wants to race me in this damn car. it sometimes gets a annoying especially when u got little gtis and even vets try to race. it is a great car and i think the car is special and will be remembered. especially when more mods start coming out. remember this isant a drag car, for the price range its pretty impressive what the car can do.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 01:46 AM
Evolving Member

ya i get a lot of people revving their engines at me. but i dont care its the cops that matter and less cops = good =]
Old Nov 1, 2008, 02:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
[Edit] I would like to add that I understand some or most of you won't agree with some or all of my write-up [/QUOTE]

atleast something i can agree with.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by jayevo23
i disagree on the noticeing part. when i first got it ppl would constantly stare at the car. the cops generally dont notice which is a surprise, but everybody wants to race me in this damn car. it sometimes gets a annoying especially when u got little gtis and even vets try to race. it is a great car and i think the car is special and will be remembered. especially when more mods start coming out. remember this isant a drag car, for the price range its pretty impressive what the car can do.

+1
Old Nov 1, 2008, 05:40 AM

I like that its a sleeper and is easily underestimated.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand where you are coming from with the comment that it "doesn't hold a special place in car history," but is it not still an Evo? I think Evos in general are what hold a special place in car history. I'm not sure the Evo I or IV or VIII hold a specific special place in history, rather it is the Evo name and tradition that holds this place.

I get plenty of looks and compliments from children to grandmothers, and the attention from Corvettes, Civics, STi's, and others is borderline obnoxious, too. Everyone else still views the X as an Evo and a special car, just not the IX owners.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

$125k+ 911 GT3RS as a graduation gift? Are your folks looking to adopt?
Old Nov 1, 2008, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by macPSU
Everyone else still views the X as an Evo and a special car, just not the IX owners.
you can not be more 100% correct....

everyone else still calls them Evo's. when im drivin my evo i look at the x's as they go by and frown..
Old Nov 1, 2008, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
as far as the attention-getting of the X. I got the say that I get noticed and a lot of looks. mainly by younger teens that just started driving and by guys my age or older on the road. i think it is that there are so few out there (at least in my area) and the X in "tested" in pretty much every car magazine so when they see one they stare.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Boostfiend
I don't drag race, so nothing happens. Never said they can't be made fast, but it takes a lot more than flooring it out of a turn and high hp to outrun a properly driven GT3RS. Sure a 400whp one would be hard to keep up with, but hey its run what you brung and I can respect that. If a car's faster I'll give it props however you will NEVER EVER be able to tell me that the overall driving experience in an Evo X is better than one in a GT3RS.
You're comparing the X to a car that costs 3x more!! NO S***!!

The great thing about the X is you can put $10K in it, and it will smoke the GT3RS.

Quick Reply: Well I finally got reasonable seat time in an Evo X.