Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Subaru STi 29995 on 63 months 0%, Better evo deals?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2008, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by krnkimchi702
i actually like the subaru line of cars.. really reliable, and great customer service from last i remember...if i had the credit and money i would buy an sti over an evo.. more room in an sti for "trunk" space...
Subaru reliability is way overrated. 08 STI's and WRX's are dicey cars as numerous transmission and engine failures still persist. I can't recall a manufacturer that had a poorer year reliability-wise as Subaru did.

Car & Driver had to get a new tranny in their 08 STI and others as well have had issues with the 6-speed;
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1628823

The stop sell on 08 WRX's was supposed to be fixed but guys are spinning rod bearings barely off the lot in new 09's;
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...487482&page=21

I'll take a 0.01% chance of a broken pedal over a 2% chance of having to replace the engine before you even roll up 2000 miles on the ODO.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 12:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyD
Subaru reliability is way overrated. 08 STI's and WRX's are dicey cars as numerous transmission and engine failures still persist. I can't recall a manufacturer that had a poorer year reliability-wise as Subaru did.

Car & Driver had to get a new tranny in their 08 STI and others as well have had issues with the 6-speed;

The stop sell on 08 WRX's was supposed to be fixed but guys are spinning rod bearings barely off the lot in new 09's;

I'll take a 0.01% chance of a broken pedal over a 2% chance of having to replace the engine before you even roll up 2000 miles on the ODO.
at least subaru will acknowledge your problems and use the warranty.. with the issues with the 08 sti... think about how many problems the evo has...i also didn't pinpoint the sti and the wrx.. i said the line of cars they produce.... for example: http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...ear/index.html
Old Nov 6, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Why would you do that? Evos are better in terms of upgrading
Old Nov 6, 2008, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

at least subaru will acknowledge your problems and use the warranty.. with the issues with the 08 sti... think about how many problems the evo has...i also didn't pinpoint the sti and the wrx.. i said the line of cars they produce.... for example: http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...ear/index.html
How many problems the Evo has? Like what?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 12:57 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Mikebus7
You can't compare the deals on the evo's vs sti. They are different cars. You can try, but thats what the dealer will tell you. You will need to put the mitsu dealerships against each other. Thats the easiest way. You can't compate apple prices with banana prices. Get it.
The STi is the banana! Ugly to look.
WTF are you talking about ???

1) You can compared anything with anything, you can even compare apple prices with banana prices (it matter on what you like more and how much you have)

2) The Evo and STi are pretty much the same cars

3) The STi is not an ugly car....what looks good to you might not look good to someone else. Beauty is a matter of opinions. And opinions are like as* holes, everyone has one.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redteam22003
2) The Evo and STi are pretty much the same cars
Old Nov 6, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redteam22003
WTF are you talking about ???

1) You can compared anything with anything, you can even compare apple prices with banana prices (it matter on what you like more and how much you have)
both are right, but he probably means a mistu dealer is not going to pricematch a subaru dealer. just wont happen. i went in for my evo and tried to get them to do 0.9% because bmw was doing it and i was gonna get one, they said no. i still got the evo, but yeah...

this deal is so nice, too bad my friend bought a few days to early, he bought his sti on oct 31 for like $38k. he is mad but happy. what can you do...
Old Nov 6, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyD

The issues are over-exaggerated, Subaru is still a very reliable manufacturer and the fact is that they are standing by customers who have an issue. Mitsubishi could learn a bit about customer service in that regard. Realistically the Evo and the STI are both quite reliable machines.
That's a pretty crazy deal for an STI but if you want an Evo, get an Evo.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 01:51 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by linjy2
both are right, but he probably means a mistu dealer is not going to pricematch a subaru dealer. just wont happen. i went in for my evo and tried to get them to do 0.9% because bmw was doing it and i was gonna get one, they said no. i still got the evo, but yeah...

this deal is so nice, too bad my friend bought a few days to early, he bought his sti on oct 31 for like $38k. he is mad but happy. what can you do...
I understand that sometime you get good deals and sometime you get bad deals...

But what I do not get is when people say dumb sh*t like you CANT COMPARE APPLES AND ORANGES like its some kinda rule.....you can compared ANYTHING with EVERYTHING, that means you can compare a car to a truck. Yes they arent the same but there's a list of pro's and con's for both, compared both and pick whats best for you.

Last edited by redteam22003; Nov 6, 2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

I think there's a dealer in Florida selling Evo X GSR's for $28,500. I thinks it's RCHILL Mitsu. or something like that.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

What the heck does Motor Trend SUV of the year award have to do with anything as it has nothing to do with quality or reliability? Consider this..The EVO X is 100% new and has anyone even heard a case of blown engine or transmission yet? The 08 WRX and STI's are using the same engine and transmissions as last generation yet they are failing at an alarming rate. The only issues with the EVO X has been the tuning (corrected by reflashes) and a couple of pedals which is impressive for an all new introduction.

The problem isn't overblown as two people joined the seven last week with failed 09 engines in that thread. When you consider that NASIOC is a small percentage of WRX owners the issue seems to be fairly widespread. Subaru has gone to cheaper manufacturing processes with the 08's so they could drop the prices of the new WRX's and STI's compared to previous generations and as you can see the 08's and 09's are having much more issues than older generations.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 02:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

wow u really want to read what u want to read... I said their l
Product line... I didn't single out the Sti or the wrx!!!! I said I would prefer the subaru line of cars over mitsubishi line of cars any time of the week...
Reading>you
Old Nov 6, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

wow u really want to read what u want to read... I said their l
Product line... I didn't single out the Sti or the wrx!!!! I said I would prefer the subaru line of cars over mitsubishi line of cars any time of the week...
Reading>you
I did read and you said that you liked the Subaru line of vehicles calling them really reliable. I said that that was a myth.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 02:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Reliable can mean anything and in my cause it the reliabilty of the car.. And the reliability of the dealership/service department...
Old Nov 6, 2008, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

That is a great deal on a great car! But if you want an Evo, then it really isn't such a great deal because you will always say "what if?".

My $.02

Quick Reply: Subaru STi 29995 on 63 months 0%, Better evo deals?