Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Subaru STi 29995 on 63 months 0%, Better evo deals?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krnkimchi702
i actually like the subaru line of cars.. really reliable, and great customer service from last i remember...if i had the credit and money i would buy an sti over an evo.. more room in an sti for "trunk" space...
I used to think the same thing. I owned an early bugeye WRX, and when I was going to buy my M3, I went to the Subaru dealer to drive the new STI for grins.

I was completely underwhelmed. Nice car, and I liked the utility of the hatch, but it really was a soft drive, nothing like the old STIs.

I then went next door to drive an Evo X. One drive was all it took. I chose the Evo X (MR) not only over the STI (not even a comparison in my book in terms of driving dynamics), but even over the new M3 sedan.

--michael
Old Nov 6, 2008, 03:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

all in all it's up to the person who is going to be driving it... The Evo is an amazing machine no doubt about it... But if it was me I like the utility factor of the sti... U can use the car for basically anything.. The Evo to me is street/ track car while the Sti is a street/ track/ and something u can carry camping gear etc...
Old Nov 6, 2008, 03:14 PM

actually i was cross shopping sti and evo and this issue with the 20 or whatever known cases of blown pistons on 2008 sti was a major factor. as far as i know there is not 1 case of a blown 4b11 in an evo yet. Yes the evo may have more minor defects, a worse dealer network, etc.. but im more worried about a catstrophic failure and the feeling that you had to get an accessport to cover up the cr@ppy tune to avoid a blown engine on an sti didnt seem acceptable. That said i really like sti's and might get one in the future or get an older one (pre-07 went reliability apparently went downhill), but who want that kind of uncertainty on a new car. apparently subaru has been commendable in honoring warranty work on most of the blown engines, but again i wasnt up for the potential hassle.

i'll tell you one thing though, the dealers are for sure aware these are cross shopped. when i wanted a test drive in the evo i said i had already driven the subie (actually just a regular wrx but who's countin) and they didnt hesitate to let me test drive the evo (i bought the same car a week later). feel free to use the other car as leverage against a dealer - they dont want to lose a sale whether its to same brand or another no matter what they say.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

I have not driven the STi, and my opinion on them has only to do with sitting in them and what little bit I know about them. I have driven a X, however.

Here are my 2 cents: Personally, I would get the STi hands down, even with a 50% chance of critical motor failure. Here's why:

A) I like the looks more. B) Utility, I've always wanted a hatchback/wagon type car for a DD, and this could be DD AND track car. C) Even being slower than the Evo, it isn't THAT much slower, and is still faster than ____ car (your current car, I am just assuming here). D) 8 simple letters: w-a-r-r-a-n-t-y. Until Mitsu pays for the motor that blew on my '03 VIII within the first 3000 miles for no apparent reason other than oil starvation, and starts covering more things under warranty, I will not condone, or risk myself, buying a product new from them. If the people who have heard stories of the problems the STi and WRX have been having have further stories to say that those problems have not been covered under warranty, then the Evo X earns my full support, regardless of ABC, until then.... D wins it for Subaru in my book. I've even been toying around with the idea of downgrading to save some money and getting into a new STi.

If a dealer offered me the deal you just got, with what I've been offered on trade on my car, I'd wind up shaving 2000 off my car loan, and going from 6.25% to 0% apr... I'd take it in a heartbeat. BUT the important thing to note is that if all other things were equal (warranty coverage, problems, speed, agility, cost, etc etc) I would take the STi simply on it's looks and functionality, and you would take the Evo. So... take the Evo. You'd hate to get the STi and regret it later, especially if you wound up driving an Evo and loving it after you purchased the STi.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mikebus7
I had a WRX before my Evo, but there was no way I was buying the STi based on the way it looked. The flat 4 is one of the more interesting parts of the car. Its not a "con" to the car at all.
While not a con for you, it is for me.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by krnkimchi702
Reliable can mean anything and in my cause it the reliabilty of the car.. And the reliability of the dealership/service department...
Well if you buy a Subaru you will likely get to know the service department quite well.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

even if you have to pay more for the Evo you should do it, why would you want that ugly STI anyways
Old Nov 6, 2008, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyD
Well if you buy a Subaru you will likely get to know the service department quite well.
Yes because every Subaru is problematic. There are three Subarus in my family and not one has had an issue that wasn't due to normal wear and tear. I also have yet to hear of someone who has blown an engine, transmission, diffs, whatever on an STI. Hell my mom had an issue with her old 4Runner so should we conclude that Toyota sucks? My sister had a Corolla that went from issue to issue so again, does this mean Toyota sucks? The fact that Subaru found the issue, changed it, and is willing to accept responsibility is a pretty damn good indication of the company in my books. Mitsubishi knows they have issues and at best they seem to issue a TSB.
Edit: Just something else to add, Subaru is very good at covering problems even if the car is modded.

Last edited by ambystom01; Nov 6, 2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 04:36 PM

That hatchback is FUGLY!
Old Nov 6, 2008, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

I used to think the hatch was ugly as well, but it's grown on me. In person I think it looks a lot better and with a bit of tweaking, it can be pretty killer. I was always though Cobb did a good job.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...sti/index.html
Old Nov 6, 2008, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Yes because every Subaru is problematic. There are three Subarus in my family and not one has had an issue that wasn't due to normal wear and tear. I also have yet to hear of someone who has blown an engine, transmission, diffs, whatever on an STI. Hell my mom had an issue with her old 4Runner so should we conclude that Toyota sucks? My sister had a Corolla that went from issue to issue so again, does this mean Toyota sucks? The fact that Subaru found the issue, changed it, and is willing to accept responsibility is a pretty damn good indication of the company in my books. Mitsubishi knows they have issues and at best they seem to issue a TSB.
Edit: Just something else to add, Subaru is very good at covering problems even if the car is modded.
Hey, they are ugly!!
Old Nov 6, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
The fact that Subaru found the issue, changed it, and is willing to accept responsibility is a pretty damn good indication of the company in my books. Mitsubishi knows they have issues and at best they seem to issue a TSB.
Yep. The issue isn't the type or numbers of issues. I would rather 1000 issues of varying severity and type all covered under warranty, than ONE issue of varying severity and type not covered under warranty. I've had things replaced on my ten-year-old Porsche that Mitsu would scoff at replacing on a new Evo X, and I'm out of warranty by a long long shot! The Evos have been great cars... But

Now, all this is speaking of buying a new car that still has warranty. Find a used Evo out of warranty or near out of warranty, and you have yourself a great car without paying for the manufacturer's "claim" of coverage.

I'm still incredibly impressed that (according to D. Herring Mitsubishi in another thread) Mitsu is even taking blame and working on a fix for the overheating MR trannies on the X. That's a huge leap for them. I have (had...) a TC and a motor that would love to have been paid for by Mitsu for crappy engineering.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 04:41 PM

I'm not a subaru hater either, I loved the look before the hatchback. But then to me it came down to numbers. And the Evo would always have it beat.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by switchblade906
Hey, they are ugly!!
To you maybe, but I think they're pretty decent. You are aware that some people think the Evo X is ugly so are you going to go buy something else?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Yep. The issue isn't the type or numbers of issues. I would rather 1000 issues of varying severity and type all covered under warranty, than ONE issue of varying severity and type not covered under warranty. I've had things replaced on my ten-year-old Porsche that Mitsu would scoff at replacing on a new Evo X, and I'm out of warranty by a long long shot! The Evos have been great cars... But

Now, all this is speaking of buying a new car that still has warranty. Find a used Evo out of warranty or near out of warranty, and you have yourself a great car without paying for the manufacturer's "claim" of coverage.

I'm still incredibly impressed that (according to D. Herring Mitsubishi in another thread) Mitsu is even taking blame and working on a fix for the overheating MR trannies on the X. That's a huge leap for them. I have (had...) a TC and a motor that would love to have been paid for by Mitsu for crappy engineering.
Something to keep in mind, most of these stories about various issues come from NASIOC, one of the biggest automotive forums on the net. Naturally, you are going to here more stories of this and that if you have 100000+ members vs. the 30000 or so on evom.

Quick Reply: Subaru STi 29995 on 63 months 0%, Better evo deals?