Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.
View Poll Results: Have you had issues with fuel starvation at the track?
Yes
33.61%
No
16.39%
Haven't been to the track yet, so not sure...
50.00%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Ams Fuel Surge Tank

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2008, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ams Fuel Surge Tank

I have been reading about the X having issues with fuel starvation under hard cornering and the AMS FUEL SURGE TANK has been mentioned as a solution. One person in another thread said that with a full tank that it isn't an issue, but that once the car gets as low as a 1/2 tank that it becomes an issue.

One guy even said that it affects the straight line performance as well, as he was able to reach higher top speeds on the straightaway with a full tank then when he had a half tank, so it would appear that this part might help drag racers and road racers alike. AMS, please chime in and explain what causes the issue, how the surge tank works, and how this solves the problem.

I am going to be tracking my X soon and would like to get one of these as a preventative measure, so any info would be appreciated. Also, will it be a clean looking kit that can be hidden from view, or am I gonna have to have fuel lines and tanks all over my trunk? Oh, and pricing info and estimated production date would be great as well. Thanks.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Nov 16, 2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll get you a pic in the AM, but I can tell you it's super clean and works AMAZING.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ya but how much does it cost and how hard is it to install?

For $700 I'm just gonna go top off after each session

Last edited by goofygrin; Nov 16, 2008 at 09:13 PM. Reason: I looked up the price of the VIII/IX one and DAYUM is it $$$
Old Nov 16, 2008, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

I have not yet, since i read about this a while back I keep filling my tank between runs i'm not sure what residual damage will be.

I sure would hate fuel starve i have a tendency to be on the redline ALL the time.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

I would love to get some input on this as well. I've heard of this issue from a few people.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Some quick info from my first experience with the AMS surge tank kit: I was able to head out for a 20 min session with 1/3 tank and still be able to make the entire session (at Buttonwillow CW 13). Before the AMS surge tank, I would have to run 3/4 tank or more to run a 20 min session. Also, I went out for one session just to do two hot laps, the gas light was on (first warning light showing a sliver left on the gauge), I did a warm up lap, two hot laps and a cool down lap

The AMS surge tank kit is the real deal and a HUGE help on track. Not only can you worry less about your fuel always being plum full, you can actually run the car light on fuel to save some weight
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:07 PM
Former Sponsor

We experienced an Issue last week with the fuel slosh on an MR we built with the help of Robispec.. This was straightline and with 1/4 tank not even thru turns.. Within the next couple weeks Robispec will be releasing a Surge Tank kit as well to help with the issue.. Ill keep you guys posted!!

Mike
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

So what exactly is happening to cause the fuel starvation in the first place? Why is it worse on left hand turns? Is it that the fuel pump doesn't reach deep enough into the tank? What exactly does the surge tank do and how does it work?
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
So what exactly is happening to cause the fuel starvation in the first place? Why is it worse on left hand turns? Is it that the fuel pump doesn't reach deep enough into the tank? What exactly does the surge tank do and how does it work?
I have not thoroughly inspected the X fuel system but if my suspicion is correct the fuel tank is divided just like the 8 and 9 and the pickup is on the driver side.. when you take a left hand turn the fuel jumps over to the right side of the tank and the pickup is starved for fuel..
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm, then that makes me wonder if it wouldn't just be easier to run another pickup tube to the other side and "Y" them together. Would this be do-able and/or cost effective?
Old Nov 17, 2008, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

I am guessing here but I think the only way to get the fuel pump to deliver fuel 100% of the time is the use of a surge tank.

Later, Ken
Old Nov 17, 2008, 07:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We have our surge tank system running in three cars right now and its worth its weight in gold for anyone that is taking their X to the track. We will have our kit out very soon now that the cars running it are experiencing no problems what so ever

Eric
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:00 AM
Former Sponsor

I actually just checked in with Tim here at the shop and he said our surge tank system is almost done. We would of released it a while ago but we wanted to use a special line that did not allow gas fumes to seep through common AN lines and fittings.. It took us a while to source it but we finally have it on the way to the shop.

Eric
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Eric,

My concern is that the part will be $650+ like on the VIII and IX. Not all of us are sponsored and frankly I will just keep the tank topped off. I simply cannot justify that much money for the part.

Please keep the pocketbooks of your (potential) customers in mind when pricing stuff

Thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:19 AM
Former Sponsor

we will make it as cost conscious as possible, But we will not sacrifice on quality or performance to meet a price point. We want to make sure the problem is gone for you guys

Eric

Quick Reply: Ams Fuel Surge Tank