Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Icy Road Warning

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icy Road Warning

Is anyone else's Possible Icy Conditions indicator going haywire? Mine dings pretty much every time I start the car, and if not it'll go off at some point during my drive.

Notes:
  • I'm in Ohio. The conditions are cold, but the ground is not wet or icy.
  • It'll do it before the car moves even an inch after startup.
  • When going off while moving, it seems to always happen when I'm travelling straight ahead on regular flat surfaces. No potholes or sharp turns are causing it to trigger.
  • Last week it went off in 70 degree weather.
  • I recently installed new winter tires on my stock OEM wheels. The stock TPMS sensors were retained, and the tires are the same size as stock.
  • I seems to recall it happening before I had the tires installed, but now I can't be sure.

Is this happening to anyone else? It looks like I'm going to have to take it in for service.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine goes off every time the info screen senses temperatures below 37F. I'm wondering if there is a way to turn it off because its pretty annoying.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Mine also only dings when the temp falls below 37F. I agree it's annoying but I haven't had any problems with it going off erroneously.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

+1 mine just goes off when I start the car and its really cold out, never goes off randomly
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yea, its kinda annoying but consider it as a safety reminder...sometime we drive home tired or whatever the case maybe and we intend to forget whats the road condition brings us...but its annoying

or whatever....just my opinion.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Perhaps I'm mistaken about it going off when it was warm. I'll start keeping a closer eye on when it does and doesn't go off.

So the way it's supposed to work is that it goes off when the temperature is at or below 37*? Talk about a useless feature. I just got in the car, I have a pretty good idea how cold it is outside. If not, I have a bunch of wasted space on the display dedicated to showing me the outdoor temperature when that area should really belong to engine coolant temperature.

Now if it used the sensors for the AWD system to detect actual icy/slippery conditions, that might be something useful.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Wait, before you guys go off half cocked, consider this. We have three modes available for the surrounding conditions: Tarmac, Gravel/Wet and Snow Ice. I think that Mitsu in their benevolent despot posture is looking out for you: If temp are such that ice can form, say even at 37F on a bridge,let's say, then they want you to be aware that slippery conditions may exist and you may want to change from Tarmac to Gravel. Nothing lame about it ; perhaps a little to mothering. Now this may be incorrect but when this happened to me I noted that the car was in Gravel mode and I do not recall if I had switched to same the other day or it automatically changed in conjunction with the temperature drop and associated display. I shall check this out today.

Later, Ken
AMS Intake and Exhaust
Iveytune (322 all around)
Robispec K&W
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I tell you, I started a drive in 40* weather and in some of the colder spots it got down to 34*. First time it dinged it freaked me out, but honestly, with the stock rubber, these cars would be dangerous in freezing weather!
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

I have just the regular lancer gts, without traction control and get the same warning, i think they just want to notify you that you may want to drive more cautiously due to the possibiliy of ice on the roads
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

I was told the stock tires get real hard when it gets cold. So the light is a warning, more for your saftey than to be an annoying pain.
I think its a good thing. Freaked me out the first time too, I was like "service light already?"
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

It says in your manual that it will ding and notify you whenever the temperature is at or below 37deg. It goes off after a couple of seconds without having to push any buttons so it really isnt that annoying.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

For real? Lots and LOTS of cars give this warning. They may not give an audible alert, but lots still show icy conditions available at sub 37* just based on temperature. If it did it based on road conditions it would be too late "Warning, your car may already be out of control!"

Regardless, be happy you have it, it means the X is more mainstream! That way Grandma Jean can tell when it is possible for ice on the road when she drives her sporty sedan to pick up the grandkids. Just kidding, I'm sure there's a reason Mitsu put it there besides just assuming the general public is full of idiots who don't know the ground gets slippery when it gets cold and/or wet. We're talking monetary gains here, like insurance companies charge less for insuring the X because of that feature, or Mitsu gets a tax break from the government... etc etc.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

me too.

I get the warning too when temps get down to 37*. Haven't had any problems with it.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

+1
I can also confirmed that it will notify you when you start the car with temperature lower than 37 degrees and it will notify you that while you're driving and temperature dropped below 37 degrees.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mmartahus
I have just the regular lancer gts, without traction control and get the same warning, i think they just want to notify you that you may want to drive more cautiously due to the possibiliy of ice on the roads
+1 that's all it is. I dont get what it is people and the OMG IS SO F ANNOYING.

Quick Reply: Icy Road Warning