Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

BASE GSR with NO SSS?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rguy
FAST key and HID make it worth it alone, the wing and stereo system are a bonus.
Came to say basically the same thing. I definitely wanted everything in the package, except the spoiler which I'm lukewarm about, so it was an easy decision for me. The FAST key was a gimmicky bonus. But after living with the car for 8 months or so now, it's easily my favorite non-performance feature. I had no idea how nice it would be to have, considering how useless it sounds.

The HIDs give a lot better view of the road than my Civic's halogens (compared side-by-side), so it's not just "Oooo, pretty!" The Rockford system is excellent as far as stock stereos go. The spoiler's... well... a giant spoiler.

So, the question is really how bad do you want those HIDs? You won't be disappointed with the SSS package considering how much you get for the $2k. If you can live without the HIDs just get the base. If you plan on adding them, I'd save myself the trouble and just get the SSS package from the start and take the extra goodies.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ha, it seems that some folks would think its easier to get the Non-HIDs and then try to convert. Not good, I had read just for the assembly alone for the HIDs are like $1000 something and then you figure in all the other odds and ins and you're already near 2k, without the spoiler, without the Fosgate system. As stated above, buy the car you want with "ALL" the options you want instead of trying to save a penny which could end up costing you a lot more $$ trying to convert it later on.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Going from an 03 Evo with HIDs to an 06 Evo with out, I definitely regretted going with out. I am also lazy and didn't feel like going to a stereo shop to upgrade my system when the RF will do for me.

If you go with a base due to budget, you could always spend about $200 for a HID kit, a couple hundred for an infinity base link and you are almost there.

Either way, I hope you get your Evo X.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

like a lot have said spend the 2k (save a few extra weeks to cover it in your down payment) and get the SSS. I test drove both GSR's while my IX MR was in for work and with everything you get with the SSS it's totally worth it.

The one thing I'm curious about is the SSS comes with a "bigger" spoilier, it didn't look any bigger, it just had the lip on the back, is it actually "taller?" Sorry for thread jacking
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

The FastKey and HIDs are "oooh neat" things to me, but not worth $2000, and I personally don't care for the larger spoiler or a heavier audio system.

Anyone know the dealer costs for the FastKey and HIDs? I'm willing to monkey with the wires to install them, if they're around $1000 total.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I do not have SSS and have no desire to add it. I'll never understand the obsession with fancy headlights that populates this board. I can see just fine at night with the regular ones.My car is a daily driver too.
That is because you have never driven behind good quality HID (or any HID). The difference is like day and night. If you drive fast at all, you need all the help you can get to avoid deer and other animals moving onto or already on the road.

I even added a 2nd set of HID driving lights down next to the fogs, 50 watt HID. These lights double the distance I can see clearly ahead to help handle those surprise situations like deer, moose etc.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

My last three cars had HIDs prior to my X. Never really noticed a difference in visibility other than the color.
All factory HID's are not created equal. The older reflector HID's using D2R bulbs are no comparison to HID's using a projector headlight system.

The EVO X uses a very good projector headlight, I think it performs very well compared with other modern projectors. Some are not very good.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by srt4evah
The FastKey and HIDs are "oooh neat" things to me, but not worth $2000, and I personally don't care for the larger spoiler or a heavier audio system.

Anyone know the dealer costs for the FastKey and HIDs? I'm willing to monkey with the wires to install them, if they're around $1000 total.

Fast key cant be put into a non fast key car.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DocCola
The one thing I'm curious about is the SSS comes with a "bigger" spoilier, it didn't look any bigger, it just had the lip on the back, is it actually "taller?" Sorry for thread jacking
The base X gets the spoiler from the Lancer GTS. It's quite a bit shorter. If you sat a base next to an SSS you'd know the difference instantly. The lip is called a "spoiler extension" that's an optional accessory you can buy from Mitsubishi. I believe it also comes with the Aero Kit.

For srt4evah, according to a thread some time ago in the HowTo section, the HID housings alone are going to cost you $1k. That doesn't include bulbs, ballasts, etc. The spoiler is $2k by itself. The stereo is probably also expensive. FAST key can't be added later.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoG8r
If you go with a base due to budget, you could always spend about $200 for a HID kit,
Either way, I hope you get your Evo X.
HID kits are cheap Junk from China and most of the time (rare exceptions) produce poor results. They typically have a glarey output blinding oncoming drivers even without using high beam.

The EVO X SSS headlights are BiXenon, using the HID for both low and High beam outputs. Most cars with HID only use the HID for the low beam and use an additional Halogen bulb combined with the low beam only HID output when on High beam.

This BiXenon Pojector on the X with SSS is a BIG plus.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n789db
That is because you have never driven behind good quality HID (or any HID). The difference is like day and night. If you drive fast at all, you need all the help you can get to avoid deer and other animals moving onto or already on the road.

I even added a 2nd set of HID driving lights down next to the fogs, 50 watt HID. These lights double the distance I can see clearly ahead to help handle those surprise situations like deer, moose etc.
I don't drive fast on roads at night, especially where deer and other animals roam.

The bi-xenons in my Porsche 997 were fantastic but it wasn't a feature that really made a difference to me or my driving style. I will never, ever pay extra again for any headlight feature.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

I don't drive fast on roads at night, especially where deer and other animals roam.
Depends on definition of fast (even the speed limit). Deer and other animals are everywhere here.
I like having all the warning I can get about any road hazards ahead.

I bet you are under 30, I am 50 and my eyes aint what hey used to be.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

If you want HIDs then you should just get the SSS package. I'm not a minimalist like some people and I happen to enjoy good visibility at night and unlocking my doors/starting my car without taking out the keys. You don't NEED anything that comes with the SSS package but it's definitely nice to have.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:33 AM

I presently have an 06' STI and they have HID's stock. I definitely want HID's. They do make a world of a difference. Only thing is I don't really care for the huge spoiler anymore, nor do I care about the stereo and fast key. I guess I'll head on over to SouthCoast and play around. Still deciding. DAMN!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chrono
Hey Guys,

I was wondering those with the BASE GSR with no SSS, are you guys happy with your decision, or? I'm thinking about getting a BASE GSR with no SSS... however, I do want the HID's though. Is there any other way to get HID's except for SSS? SSS is for sight, sound, and spoiler correct? I don't know. Definitely not worth the extra 2k for me.
If you want another 100 lbs go for SSS. I personaly do not care about HIDs and subwoofers but i do need big wing

Quick Reply: BASE GSR with NO SSS?