Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Specialty X Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seb
The "Y" junction piece we use does nothing to hinder performance or "quality". It provides an excellent way to join the system together.

Sure, I agree it makes it a lot easier (AKA Cheaper for you to make) to join those three pipes, but my point is you wont find a super high quality exhaust with a stamped Y joint like that.

If you take a look at ETS exhaust they have a similar stamped Y pipe connector, but they do offer an "upgrade" which is a welded Y joint, which IMO, just looks better to the eye.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rguy
Sure, I agree it makes it a lot easier (AKA Cheaper for you to make) to join those three pipes, but my point is you wont find a super high quality exhaust with a stamped Y joint like that.

If you take a look at ETS exhaust they have a similar stamped Y pipe connector, but they do offer an "upgrade" which is a welded Y joint, which IMO, just looks better to the eye.
How often do you drive around with your face under your car looking at your "y" pipe?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Everyday! My Y pipe gets me hot.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:21 AM
Account Disabled

lol. it's not bad... but i think exhaust is one area where you should go big or go home. i'll take a custom piece from a jdm 'powerhouse' like powerhouse amuse or ARC anyday. titanium and great fitment and craftsmanship, can't beat it.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pics and price of the carbon fiber muffler?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:52 AM
Seb

Originally Posted by Td66
It has a bad drone in the video, couldnt turn the radio up loud enough.
What part of the video are you hearing drone? We're real picky about any drone. Cruising on the freeway you can't even almost hear the exhaust. This si when you do not want to hear that buzzing drone. When you get on it then you'll the exhaust but I'd hardly say its drone.

It's tough to judge sound completely from the video.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:54 AM
Seb

Originally Posted by Fishstix
Pics and price of the carbon fiber muffler?
No pics yet, but we estimate it will be another $200+.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, I'm a little surprised how many people are into this exhaust. Every time I see dual canisters on 4cyl, images of Hondas with gawdy unpainted body kits start buzzing around in my head. Ack.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

On the video you release at 2min 55 sec and again at 3min 06 sec. Maybe its just road noise but sounds like drone.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 08:50 AM

i have seen this exhaust in person, it looked and sounded great
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

One of the best looking exhausts i've seen for the X yet. Love the G35/350Z style mufflers, very cool.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This system looks pretty top notch to me. I love the fact that the inner welds are sanded for a polished, seamless blend of pipe and flange. To RGUY, you mentioned that stamped y pieces are cheap and don't flow well and that ETS offers an "upgrade" with the welded "Y" piece. I hate to break it to you, but ETS said so themselves that the "Y" piece that they can custom make doesn't flow any better and might even flow worse because the total diameter of that piece is smaller than the stamped piece.

The only reason that they will make it for customers is because some prefer the aesthetics of it to the stamped piece. If you don't believe me, then go back and look up ETS' thread about their exhaust release. It's right in there, you can't miss it. Oh, and what's with your obession with JDM stuff? I personally find that while there are some JDM companies that make nice stuff, there are plenty that make crap. It's no different than the US; you have cheap ebay stuff and you have companies like AMS. If you want good stuff then you have to pay to play, but just because something is JDM doesn't make it good.

To whoever mentioned ARC, ARC uses good quality materials but their assembly sucks. Look at their exhaust systems; they say mandrel bent... yeahhhh... all 400 pieces of it. I've never seen an exhaust system with more sectional welds in it. UGGGGLY, and it's not good for smooth, laminar flow. Their UICP kit looks ridiculous to me, and compared with the fantastic ONE PIECE mandrel bent nisei pipe, it looks like garbage. Burnt titanium all over the place too. RICEY as hell if you ask me. To each his own, I suppose but I will say this; the fastest EVOs are US born, not JDM.

Show me one JDM tuned evo that can run down the strip like AMSs 1200+hp evo 8, or one that can hang with some of the time attack prepped EVOs we have here. Nuff said.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Nov 22, 2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe the HKS evo wripped up all of the competition when they were here last year.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:33 AM

Very impressive exhaust. Huge props to specialty X for posting such an indepth video as well as pictures, too few companies go the extra mile to truly show prospective buyers what they're getting. The price looks about right IMO, so i don't know what the fuss is about. Adding this one to my list of exhausts im thinking of buying.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Looks nice, and sounds pretty good too.

Quick Reply: Specialty X Exhaust