Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Specialty X Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fitment issues with test pipe, had to purchase a second one from Specialty-X to fix it. Driveshaft has rubbed a 3" whole in my exhaust Y-pipe.

Last edited by SiliconTek; Nov 3, 2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX

Show me one JDM tuned evo that can run down the strip like AMSs 1200+hp evo 8, or one that can hang with some of the time attack prepped EVOs we have here. Nuff said.
Finally someone that speaks truth.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SiliconTek
I just installed the entire Specialty-X setup with straight test pipe and it is really amazing! Very deep idle and aggressive rev, but not over the top. You can hear it really well inside of the car. This was exactly what I was looking for, the video clips do not do it proper justice.

Thanks again Seb, great job and ever better customer service!!!
any chance you can post a clip of how your setup sounds?
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by artnsx
any chance you can post a clip of how your setup sounds?
I am working on it. I will have something up soon.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

I was installing some Beatrush differential spacers this weekend and I found a nice clearance issue with my Specialy-X catback.

Looks like another exhaust system is in my future. I guess I will go single exit this time or one of the duals that do not cross over the driveshaft.

Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

You are not the only one with this issue... Mine first leaked from the flange. Once I fixed that I noticed the rubbing. The way it crosses underneath it doesn't leave much room for any movement of the drive shaft.

I'm scrapping it...
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

For those that have neaver heard of Speciality X this might be the reason. Speciality X exhaust is made by Fast Intentions. I used them for my exhaust when i had my Audi S4. I contacted them to see if they would make a custom exhaust for my X. They refered me to Speciality X and told me that Spec X is their distributer for the exhaust. I asked FI if they made it specifically for them and they said yes, just has Spec X name on it. For my S4 v8 i was willing to pay the money for the exhaust, for the evo not willing to spend almost same amount so i went with CPE for the EVO. Regardless of who's name is one, the exhaust still rocks. Go to Fast Intentions website or check out them on youtube. They make some awesome cars sound nasty.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mendo
You are not the only one with this issue... Mine first leaked from the flange. Once I fixed that I noticed the rubbing. The way it crosses underneath it doesn't leave much room for any movement of the drive shaft.

I'm scrapping it...
I am getting rid of mine also eventually. I have had nothing but issues with the flanges and the fitment from the turbo all the way back to the tips. There isn't a way to fix it without some kind of fabrication.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by armysoldier1073
For those that have neaver heard of Speciality X this might be the reason. Speciality X exhaust is made by Fast Intentions.
Specialty-X is well known and supported on the other forums. To be honest, if you buy this and install it you will most likely never know there was an issue. I didn't know anything at all until removing the catback. I wonder just how many have this issue and don't even know it.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SiliconTek
I wonder just how many have this issue and don't even know it.
I'll be under my car again on Saturday and I'll specifically look for this. I think I would have noticed the driveshaft scrape when I installed the bushings, but I didn't.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:40 AM

I think it looks nice, I am not a fan of the TI burn tips, but still a nice exhaust.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by link16
I think it looks nice, I am not a fan of the TI burn tips, but still a nice exhaust.
The Specialty X exhaust doesn't have TI burnt tips. It's just nice and shiny tips.

Mendo/MLomker, are you guys lowered? I don't know if that would make the exhaust more prone to hit the driveshaft (I don't think it would), but I'm just curious because my SX exhaust just shipped out yesterday and reading this has made me concerned.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rmondoh
The Specialty X exhaust doesn't have TI burnt tips. It's just nice and shiny tips.
Mine already has some surface rust. It doesn't stay pretty for all that long. It does have a nice sound and it's on the quiet side as far as aftermarket exhausts go. I think it's a nice compromise.

Mendo/MLomker, are you guys lowered?
The minimum drop I could go on KW v3's, maybe 0.5".

Last edited by mlomker; Aug 17, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Mendo/MLomker, are you guys lowered? I don't know if that would make the exhaust more prone to hit the driveshaft (I don't think it would), but I'm just curious because my SX exhaust just shipped out yesterday and reading this has made me concerned.
Just so we can compare who has this issue and suspension setup...

1. SiliconTek - Tein Mono Flex - F -1.6"/R -1.2"
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Way too many issues, very expensive. Looks and sounds amazing though.

Quick Reply: Specialty X Exhaust