Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Specialty X Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
Way too many issues, very expensive. Looks and sounds amazing though.
I haven't heard of any issues about the SX exhaust until this. Care to enlighten us on what other issues you've had/heard?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SiliconTek
Just so we can compare who has this issue and suspension setup...

1. SiliconTek - Tein Mono Flex - F -1.6"/R -1.2"
I'm stock height.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Other than this thread? Just pics of lowered cars where the cans are clearly in the line of fire of speed bumps etc. If they used flatter mufflers like CP-e the clearance for the mufflers would be superior. I wanted this exhaust but it just hangs too low. Now this thread brings more issues to light. Again, nice looking piece and the clips are great.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Other than this thread? Just pics of lowered cars where the cans are clearly in the line of fire of speed bumps etc. If they used flatter mufflers like CP-e the clearance for the mufflers would be superior. I wanted this exhaust but it just hangs too low. Now this thread brings more issues to light. Again, nice looking piece and the clips are great.
I actually made my decision based on how low the cans sit. I like the look, it is original amongst the dual exits. That being said, I have had nothing but fitment issues from the turbo all the way back.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mendo
I'm stock height.
If that is the case, then I would say lowering has nothing to do with it, unless maybe the severity of the issue.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

This is the clearance I'm talking about.

Old Aug 17, 2010, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

This is the clearance I'm talking about.
I've eyeballed it a few times on my car and there are portions of the frame that'd hit the ground first. Camera angles can make things look lower than they are.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb here but..............have you contacted Speciality X about the issues? Or maybe better Fast Intentions since they do make the exhaust. It looks like a fitment issue here is a photo from SX website......

https://specialtyz.com/shop/media/ca...sxcatback4.jpg

looks like the clearence is great from the mufflers view.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by armysoldier1073
I'm gonna go out on a limb here but..............have you contacted Speciality X about the issues? Or maybe better Fast Intentions since they do make the exhaust. It looks like a fitment issue here is a photo from SX website......

https://specialtyz.com/shop/media/ca...sxcatback4.jpg

looks like the clearence is great from the mufflers view.
You cannot see the clearance issue unless under the car. The differential covers up the point of contact when viewing from behind.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

After almost 3 months of no noise at all, the grinding and rubbing is back. Apparently, the driveshaft bushings and the diff spacers didn't help at all. I did find a common denominator...it only happens when it rains and I am decelerating in 3rd and 4th. I am really getting fed up with this mess. I am going to have to take this Y-pipe off and let a big fat gorilla hit it with a hammer and then weld up the gapping whole so that is doesn't rub anymore.

Why only when it rains makes no sense to me but I did read that on the other forums from another customer. Maybe it is doing it all of the time and when it rains it lubricates it and causes a weird something. I don't know, I am going to be looking for another exhaust soon. I am sure no one will want to pick this one up, lol. So to the trash bin Batman!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Next step to try would be some urethane exhaust hangars since your drivetrain is already locked down with bushings.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Next step to try would be some urethane exhaust hangars since your drivetrain is already locked down with bushings.
That's exactly what I have been looking at this morning! Did you install yours yet? Was it a PITA or did they slip right on?

If that doesn't work I guess I am going to take it off and have it rolled at a shop in that area it is rubbing.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I have not installed mine yet. It will definitely be a pain though I bet, I'm thinking some grease and muscle power should help get them to slip on though.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WW_evo
great sounding exhaust
You have no idea!

Originally Posted by SiliconTek
Nice images of a clearance issue I didn't know I had with the Y-pipe. This is with a full hands worth clearance between the driveshaft and Y-pipe...sad panda... Before anyone says anything condescending, there is no amount of adjustment that will fix this with the setup I have, there is more than 5/8 clearance between these parts. Just be cautious.

Originally Posted by Mendo
I have the exact same issue as SiliconTek... I am only running the catback system, stock suspension. The rubbing is in the exact same spot. After playing around with it, I figured out that when in reverse withthe wheel cocked all the way left, u can hear it rub wen coming to a stop ( on a slant it's even
Worse)

Mine already cut through the piping...
Originally Posted by ShiroKaze
GRR... i was away from this forum a bit while cuz of busy work... but let me chime in a bit since I have the same issue w/ SiliconTek. I was hearing weird grinding/whirling noise and kept researching and ppl said that it's common weird noise from Mitsu world.. Sure.. 8k car with 32k factory modded... problems with common evos..

But that assumption was wrong and i found out during the tuning session that my Y pipe and driveshaft was making out like crzy under the car. my driveshaft and y pipe looks exactly like the pics that silicontek put up... and i can't stand the freaking noissseeee.

i'm not to blame this exhaust system for my blown T-case, but maybe could have some relations since transmissions/driveshaft/axles etc are all related?

this exhaust system is awesome looking and fabulously welded but... something has to be done .. i alrdy tried repositioning the pipe as far as possible from the shaft but it still happens..

oh yeah btw, Silicontek, i thought i was the only one, but it DOES happen during the RAINING time, like CRAZY!!! freaked me out couple times cuz i thought my car was done;;
Originally Posted by ShiroKaze
Oh yeah, and if anyone is gonna say about installing issues,

I installed all my parts BUT this exhaust... i had Seb himself install the pieces, and still have the problems...
The list so far concerning the driveshaft issue I am just making up in my head and overreacting too. These are only the people that had the ***** to admit that their car isn't perfect or aren't afraid to rock the boat after spending so much money. There were 2 others but I cannot remember their names, they sent me PM's a few months ago. So sorry I cannot provide them. Oh and as ShiroKaze said, it is only audible on my car as well in heavy rain.

1. SiliconTek
2. Mendo
3. ShiroKaze

Things that have been tried to fix this issue...

1. Repositioning
2. Solid driveshaft bushings
3. Stiffer differential spacers

This is the sound it makes, not exactly like you can just ignore it...

Go to 00:25 to hear it the first time. This is not an Evo X but it is the EXACT sound that is heard in the cabin. If I had to guess it is around 70-90dB in the car, it is loud enough I cannot hear my exhaust or radio at a moderate volume. This is while driving straight by the way and it doesn't come without it's fair share of phantom knock, easily seen with Tephramod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbNwTPfTpMY

SOUNDS AMAZING! Most of the time!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

I wanted this exhaust but for the price the issues turned me away. Pulled the trigger on ETS Quiet.

Quick Reply: Specialty X Exhaust