Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Works Drop In Filter Falling Apart For The Second Time!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Works Drop In Filter Falling Apart For The Second Time!!

I have the WORKS drop in filter for my X, and I am on my second one now because the first one was starting to fall apart. WORKS was nice and replaced the filter free of charge. Everything was fine for a few months, but now my second one is falling apart. Here's the problem: The filter is 2 pieces; a rubber framed K&N style unit and a metal frame that wraps around it and serves as the structural piece that the airbox "sandwiches" when closed. The problem is that these 2 pieces are held together by GLUE! You can't glue rubber to metal, especially on an item that is constantly oily.

This isn't an issue when installed because when the filter is in the airbox, the frame and filter are being squeezed together. Problem comes when it's time to clean. I followed the instructions, which are basically just like K&N's, and that's where things went wrong. I soaked the filter in the cleaning solution for about 15 min, as per the instructions, and I guess the solvent in the solution got between the glue and the frame. While drying the filter, I noticed the seals that hold the filter to the frame were coming apart and with no effort at all, the frame just pulled right off the filter.

On top of all that, the frame looks like it's a little crooked! For 120 bucks, I would expect better quality than this. I will call them on Monday and see what they are willing to do. They replaced my first filter for free and I'm sure they'll probably do the same this time because they are nice people and they stand behind their products, but honestly, I don't know if I want a third one. This sucks.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Nov 23, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Hmm... maybe modify your 'soaking' technique? Only spray the clean solution on the filter element and be careful to avoid the frame?

Also, your cleaning intervals seem to be excessive if you're already cleaned them twice. I don't think I cleaned my K&N any more often than every 15k miles.

Good luck with it though!
Old Nov 23, 2008, 03:27 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should've gone with HKS. cheaper and better quality
Old Nov 23, 2008, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Is there any risk of it coming apart and while installed and peices get sucked through? I have a Works drop in and have not inspected it in 10k miles or so. Should I be worried?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scottatayamaha
Is there any risk of it coming apart and while installed and peices get sucked through? I have a Works drop in and have not inspected it in 10k miles or so. Should I be worried?
From the sounds of it it only begins to disintegrate after you clean it. Worst case is probably air and little bits of glue bypass the filter.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Hmm... maybe modify your 'soaking' technique? Only spray the clean solution on the filter element and be careful to avoid the frame?

Also, your cleaning intervals seem to be excessive if you're already cleaned them twice. I don't think I cleaned my K&N any more often than every 15k miles.

Good luck with it though!
Well, the instructions that are on the cleaning kit say to clean it every oil change, but that does seem a bit exessive.

Originally Posted by tomatoEVO
should've gone with HKS. cheaper and better quality
WORKS makes really good quality stuff, it's just that whoever they outsourced to make this filter is just a bit subpar, that's all. They are good people and I'm sure that they'll refund my money or give me a new one, but the situation still sucks.

Originally Posted by scottatayamaha
The frame self seals against the filter when under clamp load from the airbox, but as someone else mentioned, little bits of glue (which seem to just crumble off when you rub them) might get sucked past the filter and I don't want that crap getting into my engine. You might not evn have the problem that I have had, but then again, I've had it happen to 2 of them now so it's not that rare.

It's definitely cheaply made, and WORKS is better than that. Maybe they'll get someone else to manufacture the filter in the future and have it better made because for 120 bucks, this is not acceptable. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. The guys at WORKS are good people, so I'm sure they'll help me out.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

WTF? I thought I would be getting quality stuff for paying $130 for an air filter. Hope I don't run into these problems...
Old Nov 23, 2008, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

I plan on checking on mine tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

i have had couple of their filters and they were both like that, meaning that the plastic "frame" is not perfectly square, and the rubber gasket that seals the assembly becomes loose and you have to put extra care while you insert the filter back into the box.

This by NO means points to any defects in the product, i have no doubt that it works as intended, flawlessly that is. unless you are willing to accept it, dont call works because you will get another one that looks the functions the same way.

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
I have the WORKS drop in filter for my X, and I am on my second one now because the first one was starting to fall apart. WORKS was nice and replaced the filter free of charge. Everything was fine for a few months, but now my second one is falling apart. Here's the problem: The filter is 2 pieces; a rubber framed K&N style unit and a metal frame that wraps around it and serves as the structural piece that the airbox "sandwiches" when closed. The problem is that these 2 pieces are held together by GLUE! You can't glue rubber to metal, especially on an item that is constantly oily.

This isn't an issue when installed because when the filter is in the airbox, the frame and filter are being squeezed together. Problem comes when it's time to clean. I followed the instructions, which are basically just like K&N's, and that's where things went wrong. I soaked the filter in the cleaning solution for about 15 min, as per the instructions, and I guess the solvent in the solution got between the glue and the frame. While drying the filter, I noticed the seals that hold the filter to the frame were coming apart and with no effort at all, the frame just pulled right off the filter.

On top of all that, the frame looks like it's a little crooked! For 120 bucks, I would expect better quality than this. I will call them on Monday and see what they are willing to do. They replaced my first filter for free and I'm sure they'll probably do the same this time because they are nice people and they stand behind their products, but honestly, I don't know if I want a third one. This sucks.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

^Well, you can say that there are no defects, but using glue to secure rubber to metal is a no no, and coupled with the fact that the metal frame of the filter is not even symmetrical, this is unacceptable to me and would be to anyone. If you think that my filter falling apart from the frame after one cleaning does not point to a design flaw then you and I have a different outlook on the definition of quality. Anyway, I think rather than a replacement, I am just going to ask for my money back. Shame, because I think that WORKS makes a good product in general. I have their short throw shifter and console bushings as well, and I have been very happy with those. Oh well, it'll all get worked out one way or another.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Nov 23, 2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

why dont you take a good picture of what the filter looks like in the air box, it will be easier to tell whether there is any funcional issues with it, other than its symmetry is not to your liking and the rubber gasket sees to come loose

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
^Well, you can say that there are no defects, but using glue to secure rubber to metal is a no no, and coupled with the fact that the metal frame of the filter is not even symmetrical, this is unacceptable to me and would be to anyone. If you think that my filter falling apart from the frame after one cleaning does not point to a design flaw then you and I have a different outlook on the definition of quality. Anyway, I think rather than a replacement, I am just going to ask for my money back. Shame, because I think that WORKS makes a good product in general. I have their short throw shifter and console bushings as well, and I have been very happy with those. Oh well, it'll all get worked out one way or another.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
could you post the cleaning instructions here please for us to look at. With K&N, the filter works better with more dirt than less. Frequent cleaning is not recommended. On another car I could go 15-20k miles before cleaning. There is a cleaning solution you spray on, wait, and rinse under the tap. Let dry and then respray a "light" coat onto the filter. I have never heard of submerging a panel type filter like this one or the K&N. This is probably where your problem is with delamination.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

+1 on the K&N
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Jesus... I didn't "submerge" the filter in the cleaning solution; I just sprayed it on the filter element and let is soak in for about 15 min AS PER THE INSTRUCTIONS. I never said anything about submerging, so I don't know where you got that from. The instructions on the bottle say to clean the filter every 4-6k miles, which is exactly what I did. It is the exact same process for cleaning a K&N filter, except that when I rinsed the filter to let it dry, it fell apart.

You guys seem to be defending WORKS here for some reason and acting like this is either my fault or that this is not a big deal and that I should just stick it back in the airbox and call it a day. I am no moron and I am no newbie; I have been working with and modifying cars for the last 13 years.

Implying that I did something wrong during the cleaning process is basically calling me a moron and saying that I can't read the back of a bottle and that is beyond insulting. What this thread was supposed to do was to tell people what has happened to me and to give them a heads up that their filters might fall apart the next time they clean it. Either offer support and take the heads up, or get out.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Nov 24, 2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:14 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

I like my Ralliart filter .. OEM manufacturing > aftermarket

Quick Reply: Works Drop In Filter Falling Apart For The Second Time!!