Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

WTF is wrong with my Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2008, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The EXACT same thing was happening to me and it just got worse, I knew it was clutch slippage. First time I took it to the dealership and they it was fine, this was when it was mildly slipping but enough for them to notice though. Second time I took it in, about 3 weeks later and they said "oh your clutch might be slipping" . Needless to say the third time I took it in it was shot and now they wont cover it under warranty. WTF!!!!

Getting a ACT Street clutch put in this week.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tunerhead
The EXACT same thing was happening to me and it just got worse, I knew it was clutch slippage. First time I took it to the dealership and they it was fine, this was when it was mildly slipping but enough for them to notice though. Second time I took it in, about 3 weeks later and they said "oh your clutch might be slipping" . Needless to say the third time I took it in it was shot and now they wont cover it under warranty. WTF!!!!

Getting a ACT Street clutch put in this week.
That is messed up. Why wouldn't they cover it. There is a 12,000 adjustments period. I guess, they'll just call it abusive driving and tell you to screw off.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 08:00 PM

i have about 5000 miles on mine and took it in to the dealer to find out about the clutch around 3000 miles(it has been slipping since day one). basically because mitsu says that the clutch is a wear part they dont have 2 warranty it (total bs), or i quote= they would take the car tare it apart call mitsu and have someone come out and inspect it if abnormal where is found it must be "bad driving habits" and they will not warranty it. plus the factory clutch it crap and from what i have read its real good for smoking flywheels. so i would recommend to have it replaced with an aftermarket one. mitsu is going 2 avoid warranting and evo as much as possible so i plan 2 just void the damn thing(hks tt installed)
Old Dec 1, 2008, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

The funny thing is that it has an exedy clutch... If your going to put an exedy from factory please make it a good one... not one that people complain about... Mitsu expect you to void warranty so they don't have to replace anything that goes wrong.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoG8r
That is messed up. Why wouldn't they cover it. There is a 12,000 adjustments period. I guess, they'll just call it abusive driving and tell you to screw off.
When you take it in the first time tell them you want it noted in the car's history that you're reporting clutch slippage issues, even if they can't reproduce it. Then when you come in down the road and they can reproduce it, you have some proof that problems have existed for awhile. That way when they pull out the "You've been beating on it for 6000 miles, we're not going to cover it" crap, you can point to the complaint you made at 600 miles.

I haven't dealt significantly with Mitsubishi, but this is what I've done with other brands where I thought I could get screwed for warranty work by the time they acknowledge the problem. It's worked out well so far.

There's been a at least a half-dozen of these complaints, too. I wonder if the clutches aren't bedding properly during break-in, causing lots of premature failures.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoG8r
I have just about 14,000 miles, but still I have a old '86 pickup truck and haven't replace the clutch on it yet. lol

Originally Posted by jk68x3
i have about 5000 miles on mine and took it in to the dealer to find out about the clutch around 3000 miles(it has been slipping since day one). basically because mitsu says that the clutch is a wear part they dont have 2 warranty it (total bs), or i quote= they would take the car tare it apart call mitsu and have someone come out and inspect it if abnormal where is found it must be "bad driving habits" and they will not warranty it. plus the factory clutch it crap and from what i have read its real good for smoking flywheels. so i would recommend to have it replaced with an aftermarket one. mitsu is going 2 avoid warranting and evo as much as possible so i plan 2 just void the damn thing(hks tt installed)
This is the exact thing that happen to me. They supposedly had the regional manager come out and inspect it to say yes this is abnormal wear so it is not covered under warranty.

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
When you take it in the first time tell them you want it noted in the car's history that you're reporting clutch slippage issues, even if they can't reproduce it. Then when you come in down the road and they can reproduce it, you have some proof that problems have existed for awhile. That way when they pull out the "You've been beating on it for 6000 miles, we're not going to cover it" crap, you can point to the complaint you made at 600 miles.

I haven't dealt significantly with Mitsubishi, but this is what I've done with other brands where I thought I could get screwed for warranty work by the time they acknowledge the problem. It's worked out well so far.

There's been a at least a half-dozen of these complaints, too. I wonder if the clutches aren't bedding properly during break-in, causing lots of premature failures.
This is a good ideal!
Old Dec 1, 2008, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

same thing here. clutch started slipping in first at 4.5k shifted into second and started slipping again at 4.5k, shifted into third same thing.

pulled over and the car stunk of clutch for 1 hour at least. Just happened last week 1,400 miles.it never happened again.

I have never felt something like that before it was weird and embarrassing in traffic.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

no way mitsu is going to cover it, its a wear and tear part like your brake pads or windshield wiper blades.... i saw someone blow one out in 150 miles first day they bought it!!! HA HA
Old Dec 2, 2008, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

well, there should be a some type of brake in period that is covered

Originally Posted by evoWWrs
no way mitsu is going to cover it, its a wear and tear part like your brake pads or windshield wiper blades.... i saw someone blow one out in 150 miles first day they bought it!!! HA HA
Old Dec 2, 2008, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

sounds like someone launched your car within that first 6 miles. Bring it back you can return the car tell them if they dont fix it you dont want the car no more. They'll fix it real fast
Old Dec 2, 2008, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

the clutch i have is in my sig and i love it now that i got used to it
Old Dec 2, 2008, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
600 evo miles = 2400 1/4 mile runs at the track to mitsu.

just kidding. would like to see what the outcome is. if it isnt the clutch.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

I have an appointment for Thursday morning. I will be in total shock if they tell me its not covered. I plan to make sure I am there if they have a regional rep show up to inspect it.

I can't buy a twin disk clutch, my wife would never forgive me. I already warned her that we might have a problem getting this covered. I purchased this car from South Coast Mitsu and my car looked like it had not been moved in months (it was not detailed for some reason).

Anyway, I'll update you all soon.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Take it to the dealer. I was there today and saw another EVO on the lift with the clutch coming out. Talked to the tech and he said the car had 12k on it and after inspection the throwout bearings went bad. It's being covered under warranty.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoWWrs
Even consumables like the battery, brake pads, and clutch are supposed to be covered for a year or 12k miles.

Actually getting Mitsubishi to stand by their warranty terms, though, is another matter entirely.

Quick Reply: WTF is wrong with my Evo?