Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

WTF is wrong with my Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoG8r
The car is running strong today with no slippage. Maybe it was the 5000 rpm stutter that as fooling me, but why would it slip the clutch? I have no idea. I can just hope that was it.
That's what I thought initially when I first read your OP, but that wouldn't explain the stink. Do the rpms jump up like the car is in neutral, accompanied with a strong clutch stink when this happens, or do the revs just hang for a second before picking back up? If it's the latter, it's just the hesitation issue from the crappy stock tune. If it's the former, it's clutch slip.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the clutches are garbage. sounds like you've been riding the clutch and need to get off the clutch sooner. First time driving a manual?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by 415EVOX
the clutches are garbage. sounds like you've been riding the clutch and need to get off the clutch sooner. First time driving a manual?
read the beginning, he said he has been driving a couple of turbo AWD with stick already

anyways, if the reflashed fixed your problem, you should still have them check the clutch, in case its a bit burned from the bug and have it replaced if it seems a bad.

I mean, you wouldn't want your clutch to die earlier because of the little bug that you been having since the beginning =\
Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

This is my 3rd Evo and 4th AWD turbo car. I bought my 03 Evo VIII in late March 2003. That was my first and the stock clutch last till only 17k, but that was only after 15 passes at the quarter mile track in the spring of 2004. My Evo IX (which Pure Vibez drives now) had around 26k with a strong stock clutch and it had been to the quarter mile track a couple times and some autocross events.

So, I doubt I am having problems driving this car.

This problem typicall occurs in 4th or 5th gear during wide open throttle, but not always. My completely unscientific theory is that the torque holding capacity is insufficient for the vehicle.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

I took my car back to the dealer and its official the clutch is slipping. Mitsubishi told me to go **** myself, so I have to buy my own clutch and pay for labor. My car has 900 miles now.

The dealer told me that the district rep could approve it, but really why would they want to to throw a bone to someone who had just bought there third Evo? My dealer also told me that two of their other lines don't cover them anymore either. So I guess this is becoming an industry standard.

What I really hate is that it even slipped at WOT in third gear this time when I was getting on the highway so its getting worse. I am so pissed, merry ****in xmas.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by planetboy200
sounds like someone launched your car within that first 6 miles. Bring it back you can return the car tell them if they dont fix it you dont want the car no more. They'll fix it real fast
funny you said that, the guy that sold me my MR told me that he, quote: "test drove the crap out of it" and "the launch control works great" i got a brand new SST installed for free before i drove it off the lot. lol

atleast thats what they said they did, who knows what actually happened in their garage.

If these things weren't so darn fun to drive, then i doubt any of us would deal with mitsu!
Old Dec 12, 2008, 07:38 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I took my car back to the dealer and its official the clutch is slipping. Mitsubishi told me to go **** myself, so I have to buy my own clutch and pay for labor. My car has 900 miles now.

The dealer told me that the district rep could approve it, but really why would they want to to throw a bone to someone who had just bought there third Evo? My dealer also told me that two of their other lines don't cover them anymore either. So I guess this is becoming an industry standard.

What I really hate is that it even slipped at WOT in third gear this time when I was getting on the highway so its getting worse. I am so pissed, merry ****in xmas.
Sorry to hear. Let us know if we can help.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

HOW CULD YOU SETTLE I DID BECAUSE I HAD 6k MILES.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

I am not settling, I am calling the arbitration number. I have no plans to put another stock clutch in the Evo though.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

dang man that friggin sucks!!!! Sorry to hear about your experience.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

thats crazy its hard to destory a clutch driving easy in 600miles
Old Dec 13, 2008, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

On an Evo IX, you are right. I had 26k on mine and had no issues when it was sold.

The Evo X seems not to be the same.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

I am not settling, I am calling the arbitration number. I have no plans to put another stock clutch in the Evo though.
thats exactly my point how can you get a stock clutch again? Mitsu had a plan to void the warranty
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:25 AM

Is this a common problem, seems to be a few here with short clutch life. Clutch slipping after only 900 miles, that's ridiculous. Even if it does get replaced by the dealer, won't the same thing just happen again?
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:39 AM

On an Evo IX, you are right. I had 26k on mine and had no issues when it was sold.

The Evo X seems not to be the same.
I got my X in Jan (manufactured Nov 07), and now have almost 18k miles. I autocrossed 4 times in the first few months, and have driven pretty "spiritedly" since then...

My clutch is holding up fine, so it seems to be pretty random

Quick Reply: WTF is wrong with my Evo?