Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Do you think I'll reach 350whp???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think I'll reach 350whp???

So on december 30th I'm heading to portland the pick up a cobb access port and get 3 custom tuned maps by Tim Baily. I have an artisan cat-back, agency power intake, and a cobb down-pipe. I am hoping to get close to 350whp. What do you think
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:48 PM
Account Disabled

no manual boost controller? I would think you need that to meet your goal?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Import Junky
no manual boost controller? I would think you need that to meet your goal?
Well apparently not. Tim at surgeline tuning told me that he can control all the boost through the tune. I asked him the same question and he told me he can control it more accurately through the ECU rather than a MBC
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:56 PM
Account Disabled

that's great. I think you're better off with that anyway. I just assumed your tuner wasn't doing that but I was wrong. I would think you could be somewhere between 330-350 depending on conditions and how aggressive the tune. I'm assuming you're talking dynojet numbers. You'll be close.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

he told me that around 340 was very possible and I'm pretty sure this will be on a mustang dyno
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:12 PM
Account Disabled

I would go nuts to see 340whp on so little mods. good luck and I hope you reach your goals.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends what their dyno baselines a X at. A full turbo back exhaust and intake (which does basically nothing once the A/F ratios are tuned with a reflash) will net about 80 whp, give or take ~10 depending on the dyno. On a dyno dynamics, a setup almost exactly like yours makes 290 at the wheels, and 300 if you have an UICP. On a dyno jet, this would be about 320-330, but it also depends on how the dyno is calibrated. Let us know what you get...
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:21 PM
Account Disabled

well I'm glad somebody chimed in with a little more experience. I'm just guestimating and I don't even have a X. I love to drive one with this kind of power though.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Import Junky
that's great. I think you're better off with that anyway. I just assumed your tuner wasn't doing that but I was wrong. I would think you could be somewhere between 330-350 depending on conditions and how aggressive the tune. I'm assuming you're talking dynojet numbers. You'll be close.
So, does this tuning w/o manual boost controller apply only to EVO X? How about the EVO IX?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SunKren
So, does this tuning w/o manual boost controller apply only to EVO X? How about the EVO IX?
On the USDM spec EVO 8/9, the car was equipped with a single boost control solenoid and a 2 bar map sensor. This made it where ECU boost control was limited in terms of adjustability, which left 2 options: 1, using ecu controlled boost via a reflash and a modified boost hose assembly with a modified pill in it to give more headroom with the wastegate duty cycle tables in the ecu OR, 2, using an MBC.

The X has a twin boost control solenoid setup and a 3 bar map sensor, so ecu boost is much more effective and has more adjustability. Plus, the tables in the ecu for controlling boost are more intricate now as well, so that also helps. There are still benefits to running the modified boost hose assembly with the modified pill though (as can be seen from Razorlab's impressive tests with it), but running an MBC on a X is pointless IMO and seems to produce about the same taper as ecu controlled boost so why bother with it?

The best option IMO is doing the boost pill upgrade along with a reflash to control the boost electronically. This allows for greater precision, the best possible taper characteristics of the three possible configurations, and all while retaining full ecu overboost protection and safety features. IMO, you just can't beat that. Hope this helps clear up the difference between the 9 and X in terms of boost adjustment and why an MBC was a great option for the 9, but not so much for the X.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Dec 3, 2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 01:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
On the USDM spec EVO 8/9, the car was equipped with a single boost control solenoid and a 2 bar map sensor. This made it where ECU boost control was limited in terms of adjustability, which left 2 options: 1, using ecu controlled boost via a reflash and a modified boost hose assembly with a modified pill in it to give more headroom with the wastegate duty cycle tables in the ecu OR, 2, using an MBC.

The X has a twin boost control solenoid setup and a 3 bar map sensor, so ecu boost is much more effective and has more adjustability. Plus, the tables in the ecu for controlling boost are more intricate now as well, so that also helps. There are still benefits to running the modified boost hose assembly with the modified pill though (as can be seen from Razorlab's impressive tests with it), but running an MBC on a X is pointless IMO and seems to produce about the same taper as ecu controlled boost so why bother with it?

The best option IMO is doing the boost pill upgrade along with a reflash to control the boost electronically. This allows for greater precision, the best possible taper characteristics of the three possible configurations, and all while retaining full ecu overboost protection and safety features. IMO, you just can't beat that. Hope this helps clear up the difference between the 9 and X in terms of boost adjustment and why an MBC was a great option for the 9, but not so much for the X.
Thank you for the explanation.

Which would you recommend EVO IX users to do if you are talking about boosting electronically, by flashing / tuning the ecu or with the help from electronic boost controller?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

^I'm not a big fan of EBCs, but you could certainly use one if you like. Most EBCs replace the stock BCS and integrate it into the EBC, and it controls boost via a stepping motor. Again though, the best option for both the 9 and especially the X IMO is to use a modified boost assembly with a modified boost pill and a reflash to electronically control the boost. However, as I mentioned before, MBCs are a good option for the 9 and don't tend to cause issues like they do on electronic throttle cars like the X. If you want advice on the EVO 9 though, the evo 9 section is a more appropriate place to get that info.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Dec 3, 2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe with and EBC, or wait for COBB to release a new boost line with upgrade boost pill.

The big downfall right now is the boost system in the X is quite temperamental. The engine can do it, but it will take tweaking. And i also think you might, just might need injectors at that level. I can't wait if they do release and updated boost line with pill. Should be interesting.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
It depends what their dyno baselines a X at. A full turbo back exhaust and intake (which does basically nothing once the A/F ratios are tuned with a reflash) will net about 80 whp, give or take ~10 depending on the dyno. On a dyno dynamics, a setup almost exactly like yours makes 290 at the wheels, and 300 if you have an UICP. On a dyno jet, this would be about 320-330, but it also depends on how the dyno is calibrated. Let us know what you get...
This is true. I've got a TBE with HFC and an intake and I dynoed @ 296hp on a Mustang.

With a decent tune, another 40-50hp shouldn't be out of the range of possibilities.

and there's a vendor on here making the upgraded pill assemblies already.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

I would get the boost controller just so you hold more boost at redline. Apparently the stock one isn't very efficient.

Quick Reply: Do you think I'll reach 350whp???