Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.
View Poll Results: Evo X drivers! How old are you?
18-24
34.58%
25-29
32.07%
30-34
17.74%
35-39
7.46%
40 and above
8.16%
Voters: 1556. You may not vote on this poll

AGE of EVO X drivers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
24 next month and just picked mine up. No help from mommy or daddy. Just had to get permission from the wifey......
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't want to HI-JACK this thread at all but, since this thread has been up for a little while, I would be interested to know the following:

Age of buyer:
OTD Purchase Price:
Monthly Insurance:
Monthly Payments:

The reason I'm curious is, because like some other posters, I find it hard to see how some of these younger people afford new Evos. I can see if you're former military, still living at home, or got a really good job, but the number of people on here in their early 20s who own Evos really amazes me. I make about 65K/year, married and have NO debt. Only way "I" was able to get an Evo and be confortable with all the costs (payments, insurance, maint, etc) was to buy a used GSR. I got used 2010 for $26K and put $10K down so I only financed $16,000 ($283/month). I would imagine $275-$350/month is average for most people who buy a new car.
A NEW Evo GSR goes for $34,695 (from Mitsu website). That's not including tax, title, license, insurance, and all the other fees associated with the car. If you paid that exact price with no $$ down and financed the car for 5 years (normal loan) your payments would be $578.25. Since MOST people put down about 5% as a down payment, the monthly payments would now be $549.33 ! ! When you add insurance, that easily takes the car over the $600/month ownership price ! ! I just find it hard to see how people in their early 20s can afford car payments like that when that's what some people pay for rent and some may even have mortgage payments that low.
I am in no way, shape or form HATING on any young person with an Evo. It just boggles my mind sometimes .

Last edited by LandoCommando; Feb 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not? I'm 22.. and make about 60k a year.

I was able to secure a lease rate of roughly 1.2% for 4 years since my parents agreed to cosign. My monthly payment is $423 and I'm saving up an extra $200 a month as a downpayment when I buy out the lease (200*48 = 9600). I'll end up financing about $7000 to buy out the lease at the end. Insurance is about $200 a month.

Rent is about $1000.

So that's $1000+$600+200 = $1800 a month on rent and the car, leaving me with $2200 for everything else. I don't drive during the week since my work pays for my bus pass so gas expenses are low. Maintenance isn't all that expensive.. oil change every 3k miles.. DIY for about $50.

I'll be buying a house soon and with targetted mortgage payment of about $1300, half of which will be paid for by a housemate.. my living expenses will go down even more.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Age of buyer: 26
OTD Purchase Price: 44k(31k)
Monthly Insurance: 69/mo
Monthly Payments: 509/mo

I make about 45/yr
Mortgage is 1200/mo + 509 for car and 69 for insurance....leaves me with just under a grand a month for other bills and spending money....I got a buddy living with me throwing me about 500/mo so that changes things a lot and I don't have any desire to pay for cable...Netflix, hulu, amazon all the way! my mortgage is about to go down to 1k due to delayed escrow and I am about to get a raise....sticker was 44k my buddy got me an employee discount which took it down to about 41k then I traded a car for 7k and put down about 3...out the door was 31k....I think I did pretty good on everything and it will only get easier over the next year
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=r34p3rex;10649459]Why not? I'm 22.. and make about 60k a year.

I was able to secure a lease rate of roughly 1.2% for 4 years since my parents agreed to cosign.

r34p3rex,

First, it's nice to see that you have all your financing/future costs already laid out. Many people don't do that so I tip my hat to you. Second, if you re-read my post, I clearly stated, "If you have a good job/make good $$$" Obviously, you fit into that category so my quote does not really apply to you. My whole point is that when I graduated with my BS (Michigan State), I went right to grad school (scholarship) and also worked a full-time job. While working this full-time job, I was making $30,000/year. After I was done with school AND had some work experience under my belt, I was able to get better and better jobs and now I'm at my current job/salary. You are in a great spot in your life to be that young and making that amount of money. Just saying that MOST people in their early 20s aren't making as much as you. Hell, I now make more than my last BOSS at my last job. lol
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Depends on your field I guess, I know all my engineering buddies got very nice paying jobs right out of school. I'm actually on the low side compared to some of them who landed great consulting positions.

Maybe all the younger EVO owners are all in some kind of engineering related field xD
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by mshilto89
24 next month and just picked mine up. No help from mommy or daddy. Just had to get permission from the wifey......
Just turned 33 and picked mine up last November, no help from mommy or daddy either. Just had to get permission from the wifey .........

Lando, how the kiddies are able to afford them (many are probably buying them used now) but the fact that they're allowed to have a vehicle like this as a first car. I mean no offense to most younger drivers but it usually just results in my insurance rates going up. This was and still is a huge problem in the SRT-4 scene because those cars are so cheap now, yet have only gotten faster as more and more are sold modded.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=Highgain10;10649598]Just turned 33 and picked mine up last November, no help from mommy or daddy either. Just had to get permission from the wifey .........

LOL. I am in the same boat as you (34 years, married, and no help either). I live in Phoenix, AZ. I'm very close to Scottsdale, AZ and you should SEE the types of cars many of these "kids" drive. I'm not talking about 16-18 year olds but people who are 21-24. I see some of these people driving BMW 335Is and M3s, C250s, and Audi S4s. Turns out many of these people are what we call "30 thousand dollar millionaires". They are young people who buy lots of expensive sh*t they can't really afford (cars, watches, jewlery, purses, etc). They usually have bad credit at 22 years old, in credit card debt, and live with 2-3 other people in a 1-2 Bedroom apartment in order to have the $$$ to even buy the stuff they have. I'm sure I'm just being a little biased. I lived in Kalamazoo, MI and grew up in Albany, GA and the only people you saw with cars like that were older, established professionals, not 21 year olds still in or right out of college.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=LandoCommando;10649644]
Originally Posted by Highgain10
Just turned 33 and picked mine up last November, no help from mommy or daddy either. Just had to get permission from the wifey .........

LOL. I am in the same boat as you (34 years, married, and no help either). I live in Phoenix, AZ. I'm very close to Scottsdale, AZ and you should SEE the types of cars many of these "kids" drive. I'm not talking about 16-18 year olds but people who are 21-24. I see some of these people driving BMW 335Is and M3s, C250s, and Audi S4s. Turns out many of these people are what we call "30 thousand dollar millionaires". They are young people who buy lots of expensive sh*t they can't really afford (cars, watches, jewlery, purses, etc). They usually have bad credit at 22 years old, in credit card debt, and live with 2-3 other people in a 1-2 Bedroom apartment in order to have the $$$ to even buy the stuff they have. I'm sure I'm just being a little biased. I lived in Kalamazoo, MI and grew up in Albany, GA and the only people you saw with cars like that were older, established professionals, not 21 year olds still in or right out of college.
I was raised down the road in Cordele! It's a small world, but I know what you mean.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LandoCommando
I don't want to HI-JACK this thread at all but, since this thread has been up for a little while, I would be interested to know the following:

Age of buyer:
OTD Purchase Price:
Monthly Insurance:
Monthly Payments:

The reason I'm curious is, because like some other posters, I find it hard to see how some of these younger people afford new Evos. I can see if you're former military, still living at home, or got a really good job, but the number of people on here in their early 20s who own Evos really amazes me. I make about 65K/year, married and have NO debt. Only way "I" was able to get an Evo and be confortable with all the costs (payments, insurance, maint, etc) was to buy a used GSR. I got used 2010 for $26K and put $10K down so I only financed $16,000 ($283/month). I would imagine $275-$350/month is average for most people who buy a new car.
A NEW Evo GSR goes for $34,695 (from Mitsu website). That's not including tax, title, license, insurance, and all the other fees associated with the car. If you paid that exact price with no $$ down and financed the car for 5 years (normal loan) your payments would be $578.25. Since MOST people put down about 5% as a down payment, the monthly payments would now be $549.33 ! ! When you add insurance, that easily takes the car over the $600/month ownership price ! ! I just find it hard to see how people in their early 20s can afford car payments like that when that's what some people pay for rent and some may even have mortgage payments that low.
I am in no way, shape or form HATING on any young person with an Evo. It just boggles my mind sometimes .
24 y/o next month
OTD price was $29,900 (bought used w/ 6% interest rate, zero down)
Monthly insurance is $170
Monthly payment is $499.78
Monthly gas bill roughly $200-$300 (I have a long commute)

Prior military with experience in a field that got me an ok job. We try not to live beyond our means to much. I handle the rent and wife handles the utilities and bills like internet, gas, electricity, cell phones. I make about 54k yearly, wife is about 51k yearly (if you include benefits). The only bill i pay not associated with my car is rent, which is $1300 a month, again, we're not living beyond our means but I live in a high cost of living area. We're currently saving up about $1500 a month for a down payment on a house, maybe another year or 2 and we'll have the down payment that I want to put down so that we can keep our mortgage low. Only debt that I have is a cc with about $500 on it and my car payment, wife has zero debts.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you are saving 1500/mo you are living well inside your means man...well done...I bought a house first then got the car..had to put the car off for an extra two years but after waiting since 2003 I figured whats another two years lol
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ogrenator
if you are saving 1500/mo you are living well inside your means man...well done...I bought a house first then got the car..had to put the car off for an extra two years but after waiting since 2003 I figured whats another two years lol
Yea we really want to get a house soon but I want to put a larger down payment so that we can keep our mortgage payment reasonable. Not to mention, we're not sure if we want to stay here in MD. We have talked about moving to another state, I'd prefer to either go back to Texas or back home to Georgia, but with the job market the way it is, that's not going to happen anytime soon...
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:00 PM

[QUOTE=LandoCommando;10649644]
Originally Posted by Highgain10

Try rolling around the rich suburbs of Chicago, you ain't seen nothing. But you are exactly right, it's hilarious to roll by a ****ty apartment complex and see a bunch of nice rides parked in the lot with their blue alarm lights blinking. Some kids only dream of owning an Evo or whatever their favorite Forza or GT5 car is. Doesn't matter if they have to park it in the getto and spoon another dude at night.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Just turned 30 in January. Plan on keeping the car for a long time as I love it.

Originally Posted by blk-majik
this thread is 2 years old. i wonder how many people who voted early have shifted to a different bracket in that time lol
Me, just voted 30. I bought the X when I was 25, 5 years ago.

[QUOTE=Highgain10;10649845]
Originally Posted by LandoCommando

Try rolling around the rich suburbs of Chicago, you ain't seen nothing. But you are exactly right, it's hilarious to roll by a ****ty apartment complex and see a bunch of nice rides parked in the lot with their blue alarm lights blinking. Some kids only dream of owning an Evo or whatever their favorite Forza or GT5 car is. Doesn't matter if they have to park it in the getto and spoon another dude at night.
Haha, I'm in the Chicago area. I see this all the time. There is a complex with cheap ugly apartments not to far away. Of course three brand new STIs and one C63 AMG in the parking lot. All most likely contractors wasting their life and energy to afford nothing but a car. In some cases to be fair though auto body shops sells some ridiculously nice cars for some cheap prices because they are rebuilds. My friend has a fully load 2011 335i for 11 grand.

Last edited by love9sick; Feb 8, 2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:55 PM

Got my Evo X just before i turned 21 about 7 months ago. No help from my parents or anyone. SrA in the Air Force living off base with a room mate wasnt that hard to afford lol

Quick Reply: AGE of EVO X drivers