Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Thinking of switching from the IX to the X for safety.. ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Trouble
Theorhetically a heavier car with better designed crash absorption, more airbags, better brakes should mitigate and/or reduce damages more, but remember that you can die even in an S-class or a 7 series at extreme speeds or when running into very strong objects such as concrete pillars.
Or in an M5, when you fly into a tree.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124526
Old Dec 3, 2008, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by a_gray_evo
Or in an M5, when you fly into a tree.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124526
Luckily I don't drive fast all the time... and not in unsafe places when I do.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
If you're that concerned with safety I say get a Volvo (or whatever else is the best rated). Really, if family safety is number one you should go for the safest right?
I don't know how much you can rationalize and play halfsies with God and say ok if you say I need safety.. Let's go with a better rated sports car, you know what I'm saying?

Not trying to be degrading, rude, etc., anything AT ALL. Just my true and honest opinion, also from a religious standpoint. But if the X really is very very safe, more power to ya!
Old Dec 3, 2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by kyooch
If you're that concerned with safety I say get a Volvo (or whatever else is the best rated). Really, if family safety is number one you should go for the safest right?
I don't know how much you can rationalize and play halfsies with God and say ok if you say I need safety.. Let's go with a better rated sports car, you know what I'm saying?

Not trying to be degrading, rude, etc., anything AT ALL. Just my true and honest opinion, also from a religious standpoint. But if the X really is very very safe, more power to ya!
Maybe because we don't have to compromise? There are plenty of safe sports cars out there. If you really want the pure sports car and don't care about safety...go for one of the Lotus 7 clones or any of the other tubular kit cars out there...not much can touch them for the "sporting" category...
Old Dec 3, 2008, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

the X is changed that one too the earlier lancer /including the EVo did a Marginal rate.../

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=354

"Mitsubishi announced today that the Mitsubishi Lancer has earned the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) Top Safety Pick award. The Mitsubishi Lancer received a top score in all three safety tests conducted by the IIHS. "
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Mitsu...fety-Pick.html

{thumbup**

Last edited by Robevo RS; Dec 3, 2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I understand what you are saying. My point is that I can have something that can go fast and not be like driving in a pepsi can safety wise. There's nothing wrong with going fast in the right circumstances and if my soon to be wife is driving it just because she wants to take it to work or whatever, I feel better knowing that she is better protected.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

I would take the X over the IX just for the safety reason. Plus, I think the X is so much better looking anyway. =)
Old Dec 3, 2008, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Dumbest excuse to buy a new car EVAR
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevenem
Maybe because we don't have to compromise? There are plenty of safe sports cars out there. If you really want the pure sports car and don't care about safety...go for one of the Lotus 7 clones or any of the other tubular kit cars out there...not much can touch them for the "sporting" category...
Haha my point overall is that if you're concerned about family safety, I think it would be wisest to get a safe family car first, then get a sports car.
I am well aware of the safety improvements in a X, but that doesn't mean I'd put my child in one over a Volvo.

You say we don't have compromise, almost with a hint of offense taken. The X compromised. That's why it has the features, and that's why it's got the weight. I'm just saying, if we make a poll about the safest car we'd trust our children in, Evo X wouldn't pop up on my list.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
the X has a cheaper insurance.
I had an 06 Evo IX MR and I bought an Evo X GSR with SSS and Aero Kit. I have the exact same coverage that I did on my IX and my monthly went down $40 a month. I was so surprised. I have USAA for insurance and I'm sure it would differ with others.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Yodobashi
it is a very legitimate question I asked... if you don't want to add something intelligent to the thread, then don't post in it again, thanks.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Haha my point overall is that if you're concerned about family safety, I think it would be wisest to get a safe family car first, then get a sports car.
I am well aware of the safety improvements in a X, but that doesn't mean I'd put my child in one over a Volvo.

You say we don't have compromise, almost with a hint of offense taken. The X compromised. That's why it has the features, and that's why it's got the weight. I'm just saying, if we make a poll about the safest car we'd trust our children in, Evo X wouldn't pop up on my list.
having the best of both worlds isn't a bad thing though. If I say I want something quick and fun, but safe for everyday driving, then am I better off to be in a 2 star rated sports car or a 4 or 5 one? lol to me it's common sense.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

The manufacturer did not test the Evolution IX when they did the safety tests, they tested the base lancer. The panels were not reinforced by steel, but they are in the evo. It would've been nice for everyone with a IX if they would've tested them to see what the actual safety rating would be.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Yodobashi
I take it you don't have kids? I have 3 boys and safety was one of the reasons I bought an X plus bought my wife an Outlander at the same time. Both received top safety picks.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Test drive and see how you like it. Personally i would never trade RS for a X IMO because you will loose that go cart feel from your RS{thumbup**