Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Thinking of switching from the IX to the X for safety.. ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thinking of switching from the IX to the X for safety.. ?

Well I have a IX RS, but recently I have been thinking about getting the X because it has much better safety ratings. Although it wasn't actually " tested " I did read that the government did somehow give it 5 star front test and 4 star side impact... I don't really know how but anyway... I love my RS and it's been really well taken care of, but I am getting married next year and for some reason something has been telling me to get something with side airbags.. I am a religious person and feel that when something nags at you there is a reason for it, however I want to still have something fun, fast, can be driven all year round, has 4 doors etc. I wasn't a fan really of the X for a while, and I feel my RS would later be a collectors car.. anyway, just thought i'd seek some advice from some of you guys on here who might have gone from a IX to a X. Were you happy with your switch? How is your mileage as opposed to the IX? I heard some people say with a flash it increased it significantly.

Lastly I was wondering if since the economy isn't so hot right now is mitsubishi doing any sort of special financing on the new Evo's?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My insurance went down when I switched to my X. I'm assuming because it's safer. So theres another reason you should do it.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
the X has a cheaper insurance.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i've been shifting pretty much at 5k rpm so far - average 18mpg w/ mixed driving

I can honestly say i've never even considered safety when choosing a car....although thats prob. a good idea...
Old Dec 3, 2008, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ice1874193
i've been shifting pretty much at 5k rpm so far - average 18mpg w/ mixed driving

I can honestly say i've never even considered safety when choosing a car....although thats prob. a good idea...
i'm not concerned with mine, just with hers... if it came with all the airbags on one side that would be fine.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

New anything is safer nowadays/
Old Dec 3, 2008, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
the X has a cheaper insurance.

Hmmm....my X is more than my IX by ~$100 a year. The difference is in the Comprehensive ($18/yr.) and Collision ($96/yr). The X is a little less for Bodily Injury/Property Damage.

Old Dec 3, 2008, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goforwand
Hmmm....my X is more than my IX by ~$100 a year. The difference is in the Comprehensive ($18/yr.) and Collision ($96/yr). The X is a little less for Bodily Injury/Property Damage.

have a lot of tickets? Age? My IX is like 83.00$ a month.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

The Evo is hella cheap for me, 21 and the car and policy is under my name. My STi cost me ~$1400 more per year. I got a quote on a IX and it was $1500 more than the X.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

My insurance dropped $100 every six months with the X. In fact its only about $25 more per six months then my 2006 Odyssey minivan.

I loved the IX, but I do not regret buying the 10. Its exactly what I need. Something a little more grown up looking, safer and still fast.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe your area had a lot of evo X with collision while not involving bodily injury and property damage then claimed through insurance

A lot of the accidents in evo 9 I read in this forum it seems most of them walk out without a scratch. Theorhetically a heavier car with better designed crash absorption, more airbags, better brakes should mitigate and/or reduce damages more, but remember that you can die even in an S-class or a 7 series at extreme speeds or when running into very strong objects such as concrete pillars.

I don't think it is a good idea going from IX to X purely on safety concern. However, if it also involves things like owning a new/newer car, preferring the driving feel of the X, looks of interior and exterior etc, then safety benfits can be an icing on a cake.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4Trouble
Maybe your area had a lot of evo X with collision while not involving bodily injury and property damage then claimed through insurance

A lot of the accidents in evo 9 I read in this forum it seems most of them walk out without a scratch. Theorhetically a heavier car with better designed crash absorption, more airbags, better brakes should mitigate and/or reduce damages more, but remember that you can die even in an S-class or a 7 series at extreme speeds or when running into very strong objects such as concrete pillars.

I don't think it is a good idea going from IX to X purely on safety concern. However, if it also involves things like owning a new/newer car, preferring the driving feel of the X, looks of interior and exterior etc, then safety benfits can be an icing on a cake.
Well, there are other reasons such as it supposedly being a little more comfortable... a bit bigger inside ( from what I have read anyway )... I would like having cruise, and power locks and such. I know that stock for stock it isn't as fast as my RS, but I also know that with just a tune they have gotten 75-100hp which would be all I really needed, but i'm also trying to get the input of some of you who have switched.

I thought seriously about the new 370z, but really it's not as practical as the IX is, or the X would be. It is one bad azz lookin' car though.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 07:56 PM

side impact rating for the evo 9 is like 2 stars or something, thats dismal, the lancer is a top safety pick from iihs. nuff said
Old Dec 3, 2008, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

The reason there was no 2007 EVO in the states was because the current 2006 was not going to meet the new saftey guidelines and had really bad crash ratings. The new X has front, side, curtain, and knee air bags. Makes me feel better.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

The insurance was the more on the X than my 8 when I was quoted by my insurance. The only reason is because my VIII's worth like 18k to the insurance.

Last edited by Bom's Evo; Dec 3, 2008 at 08:05 PM.