Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Please tell me about the X - the good and the bad.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the STI is the better all around car if you are not going to modify it, but just like you said... you need a tune since the factory tune sucks.

The Evo X so far has been a great DD for me, but the trunk space is limited. The clutch is weak sauce too. Mitsu is uber strict on warranty claims.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by fastkevin
You say only 1800 STI's were made? That sounds way too low to me. There's probably that many dealers here in the US alone, and that would mean each would have only received one. Considering that some dealers still have leftover '08's, I kinda find that hard to believe. In any event, you're apparently concerned about a "problem" that's occurred in less than 2% of the total units sold. That means you have a 98% chance of not having it. Those are good odds with any car model of not having a problem, so I'd put some sways, and possibly better shocks on the STI to get rid of the body roll, and go drive it. Now, if that's simply an excuse to tell the wife (I'd personally come up with better odds in your story to her however. Anybody with an ounce of common sense can figure out a paltry 2% chance of having a problem isn't a concern. Especially when the car has a warranty) why you want an X, and you're gonna get one, get whichever year you want. The '08 doesn't have any more "problems" than any other reliable car on the road.
http://www.subaru.com/common/about/index.jsp

600 dealers, and its pretty well known right now that the 08 production run of STI's was pretty low and yes, around 1800.

Otherwise, those are good points, I may just wait it out, we'll see. It is somewhat of concern since I track my car, but that is true, still only a 1-2% chance something will go wrong.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:39 AM

http://www.luxurymotorsohare.com/inv...ype=&keywords=

^^^ enticing.......
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:57 AM
Evolving Member

Woah skippy
Old Dec 14, 2008, 04:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GunKata
wow...somebody better jump on that ASAP. GSR w/ aero, navi, and SSS with 11 miles for 29.8k
Old Dec 14, 2008, 08:27 AM

I think I may go look at it tomorrow if its not snowing here. If... IF, I were to trade in the STI on it (I would have trade it in to get it), I then have to get snow/all-seasons right away on the GSR, and thats another $500 or so I would have to spend - but probably worth it with a deal like that.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 09:07 AM

i've owned subaru for the past 8 years and this is my first evo (x w/sss). before I made the purchase, I was also considering the 08 STi. This is my thoughts...

Subaru... I don't really like the front end, and the tail lights are horrable. the handling is nowhere near the evo stock for stock. Power, (this is my butt dyno speaking) the evo seems to have a better low end and STi has a better top end. but in general, i felt the evo has a better kick. Overall, i think the STi has better interior and ride comfort, but the Evo seats are better for occasional track days or autox.

as far as mods go... I think the Subaru would require few suspension mods to match the evo, and the evo can gain pretty good numbers with just a re-tune (dyno proven by Bryan from GST in Hayward, CA).

Trunk space was a big deal, STi is great and Evo sucks BIG TIME. However, FAST key option in the evo is not even available in the STi which is really nice for me. With all that said, I went with the Evo...

Now with Evo X, here are few things that have been bugging me...
- The passenger front seat is so tall, it blocks my view when I use the review mirror to look at the blind spot.
- Trunk space is crazy small with no fold down seats or trunk through.
- Poor pedal placement where I can't do heel toe
- Seats are a bit stiff for long drive
- no lighting in the glove compartment and ashtray
- glove compartment and interior fuse door are so cheap and thin

but obviously I can live with all that and am VERY happy with the car.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Re: clutch/transmission issues
I was told by the Evo mechanic (the had a designated one) at dealer where I purchased my X to go easy on the clutch for 1K miles and let it "seat in". I did what he said. At first, I had a slight burning smell when I had to slip the clutch a little at low speed (backing up/parking etc) for a while. Now with ~3K, that has gone away even when I do slip the clutch or take off fast (rare) and I have had no slippage issues.

Don't know if I just got a "good one" or if the mechanic was correct but thought I would throw it out there....Also, the notchy issue only happens if it is cold...if I am gentle until it gets warm, there is no issue.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 09:53 AM

Clutch is awful.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love the look of the X way more then the 08 STI but then again the interior was 100% better in the 08 STI.

all in all i got the X b/c of the exterior, handling, and the babe magnet feature lol
Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:03 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by switchblade906
all in all i got the X b/c of the exterior, handling, and the babe magnet feature lol
I don't know what kind of babes you can get in an Evo X but I'm assuming young high school or college girls. Older girls will look at you wierd when they see an
Evo.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:14 PM

I agree with Clarkson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ_y8yZgdng

This has the EVO part only: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s07Zg...eature=related

"I thought it would be impossible to make a four-door saloon more exciting than the old Evo IX, but with the X, they have."

Any questions?

Last edited by Stevenem; Dec 14, 2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 06:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It has been 8 months since I've seen you so I guess I'm not surprised that you're looking for your third car in that time :P

Edit: NVM, Don doesn't work there. . .

Last edited by Brian; Dec 14, 2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Ponies. .
Old Dec 14, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

I'm also an almost recovering car-*****. I've had 20 cars in the past 15 years (S2000, S4, A4, Evo VIII, 350Z, etc.) The one thing I've learned through that period of time was that the Evo is exactly what I want out of a car. I absolutely regretted trading in my Evo VIII for the 350Z.

Now, on to the X.

The car handles very much like the 8 and 9...but with a little better rotation with the help of the now available AYC (in the US anyway). Despite all of the whining about the extra weight, the chassis rigidity more than makes up for the 200 or so pounds that are added from previous years. Honestly, this car feels even more nimble than my stripped to the metal 8.

Also, as others have pointed out...the car runs very rich from the factory and has "holes" in the power band. A basic tune without anything else will net you 300 whp and 300 wtq (as proven by many Ecutek and ECU Flash tuners). This solves the drivability issues that come from the factory, but it really is a good car out of the box.

Some points of consideration:

-There are some issue with the idle after restarting from turning off the ignition (minor).
-I had a swaybar bolt missing after about 1000 miles
-Seats are fantastic in terms of bolstering
-A and B pillars create huge problems in terms of visibility
-SSS stereo is great (I'm normally a stereo snob but I'm keeping this sucker stock)
-Engine pulls like a freight train when tuned (seriously, you need to ride in a tuned X)
-After owning the car for almost a year, I haven't had any problems other than the SB bolt.

I know I've probably missed a few things...but I absolutely intend to keep this car and I'm VERY happy with it.

Last edited by Boostd4; Dec 14, 2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

for the people who say the clutch " sucks ", does it suck for running at the track and such? For daily driving and the guy who just gets on the car once in a while would it be pretty decent?

Quick Reply: Please tell me about the X - the good and the bad.