Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Please tell me about the X - the good and the bad.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2008, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian_H
It has been 8 months since I've seen you so I guess I'm not surprised that you're looking for your third car in that time :P

Edit: NVM, Don doesn't work there. . .

haha, you know me, man.... I REALLY DO want to keep the STI, but blown engines/pistons on stock cars is a VERY scary thing.

Don - who / where? btw, one of the C6 forum guys works at my company and has a sweeeeeet Z06 - AND an 08 STI.

Last edited by GunKata; Dec 14, 2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:42 AM

as far as the clutch issue from what ive been told it has to break in the first 500 miles, because its carbon or something. but i believe it because a lot of the people that say they have ruined their clutch and it always slips with only 2k miles probably didnt know about breaking it in. plus its pretty hard to buy a new evo and let it break in. so im hoping maybe the clutch is fine in most cars and the ones that arent werent broken in correctly.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
for the people who say the clutch " sucks ", does it suck for running at the track and such? For daily driving and the guy who just gets on the car once in a while would it be pretty decent?
People say the said the same thing about the 8/9 clutches. I don't baby my car by any means...I had 33K miles on my 8 (tuned since 5K miles) and the clutch was still fine when I traded it in.

I have 8200 miles on my X and haven't had any problems. I think that some people may be talking about the clutch pedal feel...but the clutch itself isn't bad. Now, after I go FPRed we'll see if I'm saying the same thing .
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CFarSr
With all that said I too have questions about the X, MR in particular:
- For those that have been driving the MR, how is getting along?
- I've been looking at everything MR related but haven't seen anything about reliability or complaints as of yet, any ideas?
- The Recaros, from what I can tell theyre similar to the STi's seats in that they have a bit of leather (in the worst place, the high-wear bolster) and are mostly Alacantra. What are the complaints about these seats (as I already know the benefits)
- The NAV, is it worth it? I'd like one but certainly dont need it, likewise is the upgraded stereo worth it?
- What is the gas mileage like? I know the EVO has a tiny tank compared to the STi's small one which I can almost stretch out two weeks.
- Orange cars rock but is it going to be available on the 09 MR?
- Anything else you guys info on would help.

Thanks all
My 08 X MR is incredible. Absolutely love it. 1300 miles and it's getting better with every mile.

I love the TC-SST. Prior to driving it, I couldn't imagine owning a car without a clutch pedal. But, one test drive was all it took. You either appreciate it or you don't. Suffice it to say that Mitsubishi nailed the auto-manual transmission concept here--it's not the hardware, but the software that they just got absolutely right.

I love the Recaros. I wish they would tilt a little in front, for more thigh support, but overall they are wonderful. I haven't even noticed any leather wear on the bolsters, but then again, I've only had the car for a few months.

Gas mileage sucks. 15 mpg in the city, at best, and that's with the SST set on Normal and having it short-shift at 3k rpm. 24-25 on the highway, which isn't that bad, but in this day and age for a 4-cylinder, it's not great. Ah well, you have to pay for that turbo performance somehow.

All in all, I would definitely recommend the X MR. I chose it over the 08 STI. Heck, I chose it over the 08 E92 M3, and no, price wasn't my main consideration. The X is just so much more fun to drive.

--michael
Old Dec 16, 2008, 08:12 PM

seeing some incredible deals on GSRs and now a used MR, locally.... I may go drive a GSR for the first time in the next few days (already drove an MR before).