Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Please tell me about the X - the good and the bad.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2008, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please tell me about the X - the good and the bad.

Hey guys,

I've owned many, many cars (IX MR included) and have a problem keeping them I thought the last car I bought would finally be a long term thing, but alas I am thinking that I may need to look elsewhere. I bought a '08 STI back in July, traded in a '05 Z51 Corvette and a 9-2X Aero for it and have a very, very small payment, as the vette was paid off.

I got the STI and I LOVEit. Sure, its a hatch (which I'm OK with), its my 3rd subie and my 2nd STI I've had, there's body roll and its not as aggressive looking, but it handles well overall (tracked twice over the summer), has utility, and Subaru's are generally pretty reliable - usually. There have been about 30 or so cars, maybe more now, out of the low production of under 1800, with blown pistons and ringlands. This was apparently due to the factory tune running lean, and I've had an Accessport since break in and for the track events - so far, no problems. However, cars have had these issues with totally stock cars or just the accessport, whether they are just street driven, or some have been auto-x'd or tracked. Whats bothering me is, I bought the car to "do everything" - DD, track car, etc. Was thinking of going stage 2, exhaust, downpipe, and dyno tune, but now I'm just - well, scared. Even just being stock, its like - hmmm.. is this thing going to blow up or??

So, I guess where I'm going with all this is, what have been the pros and cons of the Evo x? reliability issues? warranty? (heard about the gas pedal breaking and having Mitsu deny it), things to look out for as far as production date issues, etc,?

I had really considered the X and a 335i prior to the STI and kinda wish I went one of those routes. I've driven both of those, but not a GSR, just the MR - wasn't that impressed with the SST.

Sorry for the novel - thoughts?

Thanks,

John

Here's the current car:

Old Dec 4, 2008, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Ditch the clear taillight and your set
Old Dec 4, 2008, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Unlike the STi, the evo x NEEDS mods. It's an absolute dog stock because it runs so rich. Tune, turbo back exhaust, and you're ~90 whp up over stock.

Ive had a lot of cars before my X too, and i can honestly say what makes this one so much fun is how easily it takes on mods and how much reward each one has. Plus, it handles GREAT, looks very good, and is worlds better then the evo 9.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Coming from owning a IX I would think you would be more know more on how a X would compare. If you use the search button you probably will get all the answers you need.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

If you're trying to avoid little problems here and there I don't think you have the best odds with an 08 X. I'm positive the 09 X will be much more solid though
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
no problem here yet, and i'm tracking my car too. And if i dont, when i drive it that is a spirited drive at least
Some times i even hear prayers from my passenger seat, and my car is loud...

Those pedal issues /2/ is i truly believe is owner related.
But there is a Notchy "issue" with the tranny, people complain.
Then some oil leak, Recaro seats ,etc.
Ecu problem solved after the 2nd factory reflash,
So i dont experienced them at all.
BUT i got the bad ECU flash, and i took care of it with the ECUteck
You wont believe the difference.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Dec 5, 2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Meevo
If you're trying to avoid little problems here and there I don't think you have the best odds with an 08 X. I'm positive the 09 X will be much more solid though
What makes you "positive" the 09's will be more "solid"?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 07:54 AM

John, we're two peas in a pod

John I'm in the same exact boat as you. I too have an 08 STi that I bought in January, love it but can't hold on to a car longer than a year. I'm on my 4th Subaru (2nd STi) in 5 years (not incl my foray with Infiniti last year) and have found for me the perfect Subaru at the time. Hatch, 6 spd, quick, AWD, reliable(ish) and not too bad on gas. I've always loved the look of a hatch but haven't really used it much as my (current) wife has an Explorer. Good power and pretty good handling with the sways I put in.

I've been a stick guy all my life but now that a worthwhile car has the twin clutch I'm half considering switching out IF the price is right.

With all that said I too have questions about the X, MR in particular:
- For those that have been driving the MR, how is getting along?
- I've been looking at everything MR related but haven't seen anything about reliability or complaints as of yet, any ideas?
- The Recaros, from what I can tell theyre similar to the STi's seats in that they have a bit of leather (in the worst place, the high-wear bolster) and are mostly Alacantra. What are the complaints about these seats (as I already know the benefits)
- The NAV, is it worth it? I'd like one but certainly dont need it, likewise is the upgraded stereo worth it?
- What is the gas mileage like? I know the EVO has a tiny tank compared to the STi's small one which I can almost stretch out two weeks.
- Orange cars rock but is it going to be available on the 09 MR?
- Anything else you guys info on would help.

Thanks all

Last edited by CFarSr; Dec 5, 2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey John, i have not driven the new STI. But this is what i think, they are very very very very(should i keep going) similar cars in terms of performance, so if you are looking for more performance don't waste your money. If you are going because of looks, or anything else go right ahead.

If your motor blows up, get the dealer to put a new one, when the 3 years or 5 come up then traded it in. The gas pedal thing is pretty silly if you ask me, maybe it was a defect from the factory, maybe the drivers just dont know how to put the foot down and think they must kick though the floor panel and that will make the care faster, lol.

Here are the two reason i got the evo and not the STI.
Looks.(not because is a hatch, i like hatchbacks)
Flat engine(i personally don't like them)

At the end of the day, they are both great cars, and will do pretty much the same with good drivers. The evo SAYC is suppose to be superior to the STI system but i can't compare.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 04:52 PM

Breakaway pedals are actually a safety feature to revent injuries to the lower extremeties... This is not to say that they should break away in normal driving, but that there is a good reason they are not made of forged steel like some would like.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 05:05 PM

I wrote up a little review on the X here:
http://livingspeed.com/2008/12/02/th...-on-the-evo-x/
Hope you find it helpful
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Dude I have had a lot of cars and the Evo rules....

Saying that this is not a solid DD...
The dash starts to rattle ( drives me crazy and it's not my DD)
The computer is so delicate that people will still be figuring out things about it way after the model changes.
The more power it makes the worst of a DD it is
With Evo IX and IIX's I hear of a lot of drive train issues...

But ultimately it is like every other car you modify.

The good thing is that it makes a lot of power very easy and is a great all around track car. I really think if I had to drive my Evo around every day I would have kept it stock with a Flash.

This is Mitsus only good product and what makes it good is what doesn't make it a good DD. I know a lot of people DD their Evo and people might not feel the same but this is my take on it.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 07:52 PM

Thanks, everyone. I may go look at a GSR tomorrow - maybe. We'll see, or just hold on for now and see what the 2010 STI brings about (Subaru updates every 2 years).
Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

You say only 1800 STI's were made? That sounds way too low to me. There's probably that many dealers here in the US alone, and that would mean each would have only received one. Considering that some dealers still have leftover '08's, I kinda find that hard to believe. In any event, you're apparently concerned about a "problem" that's occurred in less than 2% of the total units sold. That means you have a 98% chance of not having it. Those are good odds with any car model of not having a problem, so I'd put some sways, and possibly better shocks on the STI to get rid of the body roll, and go drive it. Now, if that's simply an excuse to tell the wife (I'd personally come up with better odds in your story to her however. Anybody with an ounce of common sense can figure out a paltry 2% chance of having a problem isn't a concern. Especially when the car has a warranty) why you want an X, and you're gonna get one, get whichever year you want. The '08 doesn't have any more "problems" than any other reliable car on the road.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 05:35 AM

I used a evo x mr for 2 weeks and that sst is awesome.When I first drove it I did not like it and preffered the gsr but after a week I got used to it.The only issue with the sst is its limit,if you start modding it 330ft.lbs of torque is what the dual clutches can handle.The sst gives you the best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: Please tell me about the X - the good and the bad.