Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How does the x handle in heavy snow?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2008, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Manboy
I'm running on Conti Extreme Contacts (all-season with good winter driving reviews) and the car does very well. This is from driving around in a few inches of unplowed fresh last night. Fun.

I just bought those they are going on the car tomorrow. I did see they got really good snow ratings as well. Nice to see a good experience with them
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by John83
theres too much traffic near me to give a good review, stop and go was fine i guess lol. windows fogged up a lot, needed the AC on much of the time.

rotas w/ blizzaks

What size are those rotas?? and what size are you blizzaks they look bad ***!!!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

does any one have more pics of their evo x in the snow??
Old Dec 10, 2008, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pcasso87
What size are those rotas?? and what size are you blizzaks they look bad ***!!!

thanks. rotas are 18x8- offset 35mm and the blizzaks are 235/40

Last edited by John83; Dec 10, 2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

More info and review on Blizzaks LM-25s please. Good handling in the snow/slush/ice? Decent handling in the dry/wet?

I can't decide between Blizzaks and Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds and I have to buy a set tonight. I hear the Dunlops have great dry/wet handling and last a long time, but I never hear much about snow/slush/ice traction.

I'm thinking of going 235/40R18 in either of those tires.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Mechanical awd is going to outperform electronic awd in the snow, so the Evo will do better than even an Audi quattro. If it wasn't for the ground clearance issue the Evo would be more unstoppable than a 4x4-locked Jeep.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

We got a good amount of snow here yesterday, and with my Blizzaks it was great. The only thing you have to worry about is the other drivers.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 08:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by triso
More info and review on Blizzaks LM-25s please. Good handling in the snow/slush/ice? Decent handling in the dry/wet?

I can't decide between Blizzaks and Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds and I have to buy a set tonight. I hear the Dunlops have great dry/wet handling and last a long time, but I never hear much about snow/slush/ice traction.

I'm thinking of going 235/40R18 in either of those tires.
I have the Dunlop Winter Sport 3d's on my E36 M3 and they work great in the snow, ice and slush.

Decent handling for winter tires in the dry too, but nothing is going to compare to dry tires in the dry.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by dethrock
You have to have winter tires by law now right?
GRRR yes and it pisses off people in ontario because now quebec get first dibs, so we can only get our tires like, 3 weeks after the first snowww
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoXstylin
We got a good amount of snow here yesterday, and with my Blizzaks it was great. The only thing you have to worry about is the other drivers.
Ditto.

I live in a Chicago suburb and although major streets are plowed and salted, most side streets still had all sorts of ice on them. I took the opportunity to test out the ice handling and i was VERY impressed with turn control and stopping. Snow, slush, rain, and sleet are non issues with the Blizzaks from my personal experience over the past 2 weeks.

As EvoXstylin said, the downside to all this control is that other people cant do what you do so you still have to be very careful, or else you'll get rearended because you can stop way faster than they can...

Last edited by Jblade; Dec 10, 2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dethrock
You have to have winter tires by law now right?
Awesome law! Wish we had something like that here in Milwaukee. If it's snowing during rush hour I know it will take 3X as long to get anywhere because of people and vehicals who don't belong on the road.

The X with snows is only hampered by traffic. Threw on some Dunlop M3s and it owns just about any performance vehical. In really heavy, deep stuff my old impreza wagon had an advantage due to tall 185 series tires and blizzak WS60s + more ground clearance. You won't find a car that will launch harder than the X in moderate snow conditions though.

For some fun in an unplowed subdivision, switch to SNOW mode, but turn ASC OFF. Feel the yaw control at work. Good way to hone your rally skills too, just don't stay in the same neighborhood for very long!
Old Dec 10, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The blizzacks LM-25 were one of my top 2 choices. the LM-25s for winter tires and the Yokohama Advan S.4s for all seasons.

I live in chicago and decided with the Advan S.4s. you can find here my review of that tire:

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9451

I would highly recomend them for you if you live in florida and are only going to make occasional trips up to the NY area. winter tires wear significantly faster then all seasons and also wear significantly faster when driven on in warm weather (anything above like 50 degrees).

So you are going to put a ton of miles on the car with trips from florida to NY.

Now I will not argue that any all seasons are as good as winter tires. However, I had a chance to drive the Yoko S.4s on a couple inches of snow/slush and ice this year and i was blown away by their handling.

The real shortcommings of all seasons are when the snow gets really deep. However if you are making trips from florida to NY then you are going to be on mostly crowded public roads. This means that even if you are driving through the worst snow storm in years in NY that the roads you are on are still not going to have a huge amount of snow and will mostly be slush/water. The S.4s and other good all seasons will give you plenty of grip in any sort of condition that you might run into on your occasional trip. While at the same time they will last a long time and not be anywhere near as big of a sacrifice in handling on dry paved roads.

I can attest that the S.4s really do handle surprisingly well on drive paved roads. They are not the stockers obviously, but they still provide me with the confidence to push it around corners and take turns a bit too fast. But heck, thats what you got the evo for.

The only real reason i can see to get winters is if you live in an area that gets a ton of snow and daily drive your car. This is because you will drive in the snow a far greater amount then someone making the occasional trip from florida. The snow tires will therefore provide that little extra piece of mind when your pissed off running late for work or trying to get home in a rush.

But if your making a trip from your parents, then you are going to be driving cautiously and defensivelly if you do run into snow. especially because you are from florida and everyone i know from states that don't get snow always freak out and drive like old grannies. But even the best tires cannot be a replacement for smart driving. Good all seasons with defensive driving will give you plenty of traction and controll that you will be fine.

So anyway, sorry for the long winded response. I've had 7 years of daily driving experience in areas that get alot of snow and have never once been in a snow related accident. However, i just moved downtown and don't daily drive my evo to work, so hence the choice of All seasons. It was just ironic that the first major snowstorm of the year i had to make 2 long trips. And I was glad i did because I partly worried I would miss not having snow tires, but the Advan S.4s performed beautifully. The only close calls i had were a couple people almost rear ending me. I actually floored it and pulled into the left hand turn lane for the opposing traffic one time because the guy behind me couldn't stop. He couldn't stop but the Advan S.4s had enough traction to "jerk" me forward and turn me pretty hard at the same time to get out of the guys way. He came to a stop very close to my *** even after that maneuver, so the tires are awesome as they saved me from an accident.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 05:28 PM

the x was great in the snow this past tuesday in chicago. it snowed here for about 5 hours or so and we got around 3-4 inches by us not a whole lot, but the car was awesome. i was flying around no problem with my yoko w.drive tires. i was laughing at the suvs that couldnt figure out why i was taking off the line so fast in our ice/snow covered roads
Old Dec 12, 2008, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
too off topic.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Hankook Icebear W300. Amazing tire that lasts long and has unbelievable grip in the snow.

Quick Reply: How does the x handle in heavy snow?