Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How does the x handle in heavy snow?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does the x handle in heavy snow?

I know that the X's AWD system will handle amazingly in light or packed snow with snow tires on. But how does it handle in heavy snow and not very well kept roads? Anyone here with in X that lives in similar conditions?

Just a little background. I am moving from Ohio to Wisconsin. Wisconsin had record snow fall last year, around 99 inches. I know that the AWD system on the x is amazing, it is the main reason that I am interested in the car that and it's semi practicality.

What concerns me is the clearance, the X does not appear to have much clearance at all. Has anyone run into any issues with damaging their cars due to clearance issues on snow or dirt roads? How does it handle on speed bumps or roads damaged by winter conditions?

Thanks for the help.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 06:59 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I think our snowfall was over 100 inches last year.

Can't comment on the X, but the VIII did amazing. I even plowed my driveway with over 3' of snow in it with All-Seasons!

Old Dec 8, 2008, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Wow! So no damage to the VIII when plowing the drive?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow thats alot of snow.

my parents just bought some property in upstate new york (oswego) and they get alot of snow so it looks like im going to have to be getting some snow tires sometime, since all we use here in Florida are summer tires lol
Old Dec 8, 2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by doghead
I know that the X's AWD system will handle amazingly in light or packed snow with snow tires on. But how does it handle in heavy snow and not very well kept roads? Anyone here with in X that lives in similar conditions?

Just a little background. I am moving from Ohio to Wisconsin. Wisconsin had record snow fall last year, around 99 inches. I know that the AWD system on the x is amazing, it is the main reason that I am interested in the car that and it's semi practicality.

What concerns me is the clearance, the X does not appear to have much clearance at all. Has anyone run into any issues with damaging their cars due to clearance issues on snow or dirt roads? How does it handle on speed bumps or roads damaged by winter conditions?

Thanks for the help.
I haven't driven in deep snow yet but 2" this thing is so sweet. Not only do you have the ABS but in the snow mode under kinda hard braking. The S-AWC will break the center diff. The car stops so fast it makes you look up to make sure the people behind you are stopping. I would say it will do well in deep snow but its no truck if you need ground clearence.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 08:22 PM

Wisconsin winters ftw. we already got 3"+ in 4 hours. suppose to get 8"-12" by the time it is finished. Where in Wisconsin are you moving to?
To get to your question no X experience but snow tires and no drop should be fine.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 08:28 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

I would like to know the same thing. I wonder if AYC would help
Old Dec 8, 2008, 08:53 PM

I live in Montreal and we got some snow couple days ago... I had a blast, the snow is no contest. I must say though, I have studded Nordfrost 5 tires.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOXCO
I haven't driven in deep snow yet but 2" this thing is so sweet. Not only do you have the ABS but in the snow mode under kinda hard braking. The S-AWC will break the center diff. The car stops so fast it makes you look up to make sure the people behind you are stopping. I would say it will do well in deep snow but its no truck if you need ground clearence.
Vehicle clearance ultimately determines the depth at which one can drive in "deep snow" with or w/o AWD. If the snow is deep enough such that the chassis starts riding on top off ran through the snow, you are going nowhere. One relatively easy way to achieve greater ground clearnace is the use of higher aspect ratio (the second number on the tire rating) snow ties; more expensive is to raise the chassis via higher springs (for the Alaska guys and gals).
When there is ground clearance, AWD obviously outperforms by leaps and bounds any rear RWD vehicle and the EVO better than any other AWD vehicle.

later, Ken

Last edited by KPerez; Dec 9, 2008 at 04:42 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

with a sophisticated awd system like the X has, coupled with great snow tires, you are better off than 99% of drivers out there, including some who own 4x4 trucks
Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:57 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

But they really do make good snow plows!!!

Old Dec 9, 2008, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Yesterday I had my first chance with my Dunlop M3's to drive in a good amount of snow, 6" or so, and it performs awesome. I never had a chance to drive my 8 in snow, but i heard good things, but the X handles beautifully. I was getting the snow symbol to pop up in the center a bunch, mainly because I was trying for snow drifting, but overall it is great for snow driving. I was passing everyone, and going up hills, braking, and going around bends with ease. Everyone else was going very slow and I was cruising along at normal pace. It was very fun to say the least, Minnesota winter's are full of win if you like snow.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fireball
But they really do make good snow plows!!!

Well I guess you have basically debunked this thread with that picture!!

Later, Ken
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Funner.

Originally Posted by doghead
I know that the X's AWD system will handle amazingly in light or packed snow with snow tires on. But how does it handle in heavy snow and not very well kept roads?
I'm running on Conti Extreme Contacts (all-season with good winter driving reviews) and the car does very well. This is from driving around in a few inches of unplowed fresh last night. Fun.

Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
Well I guess you have basically debunked this thread with that picture!!

Later, Ken
That poor CF lip!

Quick Reply: How does the x handle in heavy snow?