Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

sticking clutch!?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sticking clutch!?

So i was driving my evo X the other day, and for some reason the clutch starts to somehow "stick". let me provide a full description of what i mean.

* i disengage the clutch and change the gear
*i engage the clutch once the gear has been changed
*Now that the gears in, i press on the gas.
*the car does not accelerate, however my engine revs and the rpms raise (as if the clutch is still disengaged)
*the rpms raise a few thousand before the car lurches foward (as if someone dropped the clutch)
*at first the rpms raised only 1000, but as i neared home it become more and more, topping nearly 4000 before the car went into gear.

Took the car to my nearest dealer and they said my clutch was completly blown (big suprise there) and that it would cost $1900 to fix and wasnt coverd by warranty.
The car barely has 2000 miles on it, so i dont see how this couldev happened.
If anyone can provide any insight has to what could have caused my clutch to "stick" please, let me know. thankyou

Last edited by red12x; Dec 10, 2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome to the Stock Clutch Sucks club!
Old Dec 10, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, you need to work on your terminology; the clutch is engaged when the pedal is all the way out, the clutch is disengaged while shifting gears. Think of it this way: the clutch is engaged when it comes into contact with the flywheel, and disengaged when it's separated from the flywheel. So basically, you had it backwards. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, how many times have you launched your car? The stock clutch is a bit on the soft side for sure, but I've never heard of anyone blowing a clutch this quickly unless they have launched it repeatedly and/or incorrectly. Be honest in your response, as we can't help you if you don't tell us how the car is driven.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
First off, you need to work on your terminology; the clutch is engaged when the pedal is all the way out, the clutch is disengaged while shifting gears. Think of it this way: the clutch is engaged when it comes into contact with the flywheel, and disengaged when it's separated from the flywheel. So basically, you had it backwards. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, how many times have you launched your car? The stock clutch is a bit on the soft side for sure, but I've never heard of anyone blowing a clutch this quickly unless they have launched it repeatedly and/or incorrectly. Be honest in your response, as we can't help you if you don't tell us how the car is driven.
thanks for clearing that up for me
as far as launching, ive only done it a few times and never improperly so i dont think that has anything to do with it. more importantly (and i should have mentioned this before), i currently live in colorado and the car is in south florida. when this occured i had been driving the car for 2-3 days. It hadnt been touched (except for an occasional startup) in 3 months. is it possible some parts rusted together?
Old Dec 10, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by red12x
thanks for clearing that up for me
as far as launching, ive only done it a few times and never improperly so i dont think that has anything to do with it. more importantly (and i should have mentioned this before), i currently live in colorado and the car is in south florida. when this occured i had been driving the car for 2-3 days. It hadnt been touched (except for an occasional startup) in 3 months. is it possible some parts rusted together?

This car cant take launching on the stock clutch.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:37 PM

bump