Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

'09 Evo's not coming to the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stellar24
I would have to disagree with all these reasons except the gas prices.

1.) The car may be heavier but it also has a lot more features and options along with being a huge increase in safety which has proven to attract a larger range of buyers. I think the additions have attracted more buyers than the extra weigth has pushed others away.

2.) The 4B11T is just as robust if not more than the 4G63. The 4G63 is an amazing engine but it is also a very old design. Advancements in engine design and research have allowed Engineers to build stonger engines that weigh less. The 4B11 is nothing short of an improvement.

3.) Gas prices have and will continue to hurt the sales of performance vehicles.

4.) Given that this is a brand new design, the reported issues have actually been very few and nothing too serious. Also, issues will get blown up in forums where you will never hear about the people who have no issues.

5.) Most people do not buy a new car with plans of selling it within a year. Resale values are low because of how poor our economy is in, and because of how desperate dealers are getting to sell cars (offering cars for below invoice and with 0% financing). Once the economy rebounds, you will see the car values go back up.

The economy is the soul driver of the poor sales of the Evos and has nothing to do with the design or performance. It has already been prooven as a very stong contender in its market. People losing jobs, have the fear of losing jobs, and the state of the credit market are causing people to be more cautious and they are not going out to buy new cars.

Disclaimer: This is all my own opinion.
I agree with your disagreements as well. I still do not know why people keep siting the weight as THE determining factor for not liking/buying the car. It's been beaten to death so I won't go into it...

But back OT...It will be interesting to see how the industry as a whole reacts to the downturn in the economy and the ripple effect on the global stage.

IMO...this move is purely driven by the economy.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:53 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you guys are talking about opinions of one of the dealers here in evom. unless he backs up his story or post any comments on the original thread, then I'm calling it a sales ploy. The 07 IX was not made hence no VIN numbers were posted in the mitsu website. But up until today, the VIN numbers of the 09 models are posted as it is. it may be a midyear release of the 09 models.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:47 AM

idea

the mitsubishi evolutions have always been a sedan.. maybe for the time they stop production they should think about a coupe evolution =) it'll definitely make it lighter =) i would buy it in a heartbeat.

maybe if enough people email them about it. it just might happen =)
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by flipsidekilla
the mitsubishi evolutions have always been a sedan.. maybe for the time they stop production they should think about a coupe evolution =) it'll definitely make it lighter =) i would buy it in a heartbeat.

maybe if enough people email them about it. it just might happen =)
it would have to compete with the gt-r, which costs twice as much as the current evo...not going to happen IMO
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by accrane
it would have to compete with the gt-r, which costs twice as much as the current evo...not going to happen IMO
Why would it have to compete with the GTR?
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:29 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by accrane
And that would be bad for Mitsubishi, how? Having a competitor for one of the most advanced cars in existence at half the price can only lead to increased sales, a favorable consumer perception across the board, and the street cred that dove and is still driving CT9A sales. I do agree, though, that it won't happen.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

I guess we're going to have to wait until an -official- source confirms it; And I mean Mitsubishi Motors Corp-official. No pun intended.

My opinion is that Mitsu is holding back because of the economy, they're nervous; every single car maker is s***ting bricks right now; I assume adding a couple thousand 09' Evos in a market where they still have 1000+ parked with zero hopes of moving them is something any car maker will seriously consider before taking action.

Or what will they do with 1000 plus brand new 08 Evos once they stock the 09 at the dealers???? Eat them with sour ranch & blue cheese?

Edit: I didn't mean "reliable" I meant "official"

Last edited by jazket; Dec 19, 2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:38 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jazket
My opinion is that Mitsu is holding back because of the economy, they're nervous; every single car maker is s***ting bricks right now; I assume adding a couple thousand 09' Evos in a market where they still have 1000+ parked with zero hopes of moving them is something any car maker will seriously consider before taking action.
Interestingly, Mercedes' performance-oriented AMG division had its best year to date. The Evo market used to see a similar lack of elasticity, that is until the X.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:15 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Stellar24
I would have to disagree with all these reasons except the gas prices.

1.) The car may be heavier but it also has a lot more features and options along with being a huge increase in safety which has proven to attract a larger range of buyers. I think the additions have attracted more buyers than the extra weigth has pushed others away.
Its a niche car, because its a racecar. They tried to "attract more buyers" with the 3G Eclipse. That blew up in their face.

2.) The 4B11T is just as robust if not more than the 4G63. The 4G63 is an amazing engine but it is also a very old design. Advancements in engine design and research have allowed Engineers to build stonger engines that weigh less. The 4B11 is nothing short of an improvement.
You can't beat the laws of physics, because they'll come and find you. Aluminum is not as strong as iron, period. You can put 32psi (race gas) from a 35R through a 4G63 with little more than head studs. Do that on ten 4G63s and ten 4B11s and see which ones hold up better. The 4B11 is good, but its not nearly as strong as a 4G63, that's just asinine.

4.) Given that this is a brand new design, the reported issues have actually been very few and nothing too serious. Also, issues will get blown up in forums where you will never hear about the people who have no issues.
Au contraire. Being on staff, I know of at least 5 4B11s that have gone down hard with even moderate turbo upgrades, but it hasn't been made public knowledge. I blame this on the effect it could have on shops (who really may not have even been at fault) in this economy and people being terrified to post about it in hopes of getting warranty work.

5.) Most people do not buy a new car with plans of selling it within a year. Resale values are low because of how poor our economy is in, and because of how desperate dealers are getting to sell cars (offering cars for below invoice and with 0% financing). Once the economy rebounds, you will see the car values go back up.
I agree that the #1 reason that resale is challenging to those in the "Evo X Cars FS forum" is the 0% financing. Domestics have shown that getting too aggressive on the front end has hurt resale value on the back end. Mitsubishi did this before with Monteros and Eclipses, making them worth less. Lets hope the Evo is immune.

The economy is the soul driver of the poor sales of the Evos and has nothing to do with the design or performance. It has already been prooven as a very stong contender in its market. People losing jobs, have the fear of losing jobs, and the state of the credit market are causing people to be more cautious and they are not going out to buy new cars.

Disclaimer: This is all my own opinion.
I agree that the economy is 99% what's wrong with the car market right now. Its just making it look a whole lot worse than it is. The best thing all of us can do is hunker down and wait for it to improve. I'd rather see Mitsu doing a 20 HP flash (which would be total cake) as increased value to all the remaining Evos than to offer 0%. I am pulling for Mitsu! I want Evo sales to thrive so we can keep getting more Evos.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Noize,

Re: #1...I am a professional and while I like the performance of the Evo IX, there is no way i would have bought one because they look way too much like a teenager's car (don't mean to offend, just MHO). The new Evo was the first one I ever considered buying. There other cars for similar money I could have been interested in but wanted AWD and performance. I think the GSR is uniquely positioned right now for this....Got it for just under 31K out the door and once I upgraded the interior to leather I am pretty happy. For anything else AWD, racey but not ricey looks with similar performance, I would have had to spend at least another 10K.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 02:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize

You can't beat the laws of physics, because they'll come and find you. Aluminum is not as strong as iron, period. You can put 32psi (race gas) from a 35R through a 4G63 with little more than head studs. Do that on ten 4G63s and ten 4B11s and see which ones hold up better. The 4B11 is good, but its not nearly as strong as a 4G63, that's just asinine.

Au contraire. Being on staff, I know of at least 5 4B11s that have gone down hard with even moderate turbo upgrades, but it hasn't been made public knowledge. I blame this on the effect it could have on shops (who really may not have even been at fault) in this economy and people being terrified to post about it in hopes of getting warranty work.

Interesting comments. I don't think its fair to suggest that just because Al has a lower yield strength than steel that its impossible for the 4B11T to be weaker than the 4G63. Overall strength and durability is a combination of material and design. When AMS posted some of the specs on the rod dimensions many months ago, I was hopeful that Mitsu had made the 4B11T more bulletproof than the 4G63. However, if you know of several busted 4B11Ts, then that's better evidence that its not as tough as the 4G63. I wonder though if the reason those motors blew was more because of a bad tune than strength of the motor. Tuning tools and tuning expertise of the 4B11T is still very much in its infancy, and without any more info other than the motors blew, I have to wonder if the ultimate reason was a bad tune or some minor weakness in the motor that needs to be overcome with an improved part.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 02:58 PM

I do not understand I have a evo x 2009.i buy a month ago, in PR
Old Dec 19, 2008, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Toyota poised to post first annual loss in 70 years

With headlines like that, is it any wonder that Mitsu is cutting back or dropping a niche car that currently isn't selling well? We may love the X all we want, I think it's a fantastic car, but it's selling UNDER INVOICE right now, and barely selling even at that price. It makes sense that they'd just suspend shipping any more until the economy turns around.

Here's hoping they ship a 2010 EVO X RS in the USA!!!
Old Dec 19, 2008, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
The EVo X is the cheapest here in the US all around the world from the beginning. The $ value is sooo down its not even funny.
So why they would bring it here?
The US never been a primary market for the EVo anyway.
People dont even know what is the rally means...

So i see a lots of logic behind it.
But if its true , its kinda sad , my point of you.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mmartahus
not from what ive seen, only a couple at the dealers around boston
There is a small dealership in Toledo, OH... FULL of them. The dealer by me which is <10 miles from Notre Dame has a handful.... and they only had 1 VIII-IX

Quick Reply: '09 Evo's not coming to the U.S.?