Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Theory on delay of 2009 Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ btw, out of the 5 adjectives i used to describe the X, 2 were subjective (that its ugly and that the tranny sucks), the rest were hard cold facts buddy. sorry
Old Dec 20, 2008, 09:41 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by S6devil
^ btw, out of the 5 adjectives i used to describe the X, 2 were subjective (that its ugly and that the tranny sucks), the rest were hard cold facts buddy. sorry
Personally, I don't think the X is ugly. I wasn't fond of it at first, but its styling really grew on me, especially with the newer tails. I still hate the fact that it doesn't have a center-mounted tach, but that's another story. Yet, it's all subjective.

As for the other observations, I think their effect is intertwined. I mean, if the car didn't weigh as much as it does, it would do a lot better with the power it has. OTOH, if the weight is to remain a constant, then it needs more power to compete. The fact that it's overpriced in the marketplace is driven by that factor, along with the usual talk of a weak economy. So, it sits on the lots, unable to attract past Evo owners in droves and large enough numbers of new participants to make a difference. It's a shame, really.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
But have you driven a X? Just curious.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

^ no, and thats why i can only state what i read in magazines and by reading the data supplied by the manufacturer - it carries more weight, and is more expensive than most of its comptetitors.
PLUS, it was beaten at the 4.2mile VIR racetrack by the chevy cobalt SS, and bmw's 335i and 135i.

Last edited by S6devil; Dec 20, 2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Personally, I don't think the X is ugly. I wasn't fond of it at first, but its styling really grew on me, especially with the newer tails. I still hate the fact that it doesn't have a center-mounted tach, but that's another story. Yet, it's all subjective.

As for the other observations, I think their effect is intertwined. I mean, if the car didn't weigh as much as it does, it would do a lot better with the power it has. OTOH, if the weight is to remain a constant, then it needs more power to compete. The fact that it's overpriced in the marketplace is driven by that factor, along with the usual talk of a weak economy. So, it sits on the lots, unable to attract past Evo owners in droves and large enough numbers of new participants to make a difference. It's a shame, really.
as much as i dont like the X, i always appreciate a well written and thoughtful response
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as much as i dont like the X, i always appreciate a well written and thoughtful response
Why post here? Really?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

S6Devil: saying that the X performs worse than a cobalt ss is ridiculous. In the test from one mag, the X beat the SS. In the other, the SS beat the MR. It was so close that it was almost a tie, which makes the cobalt ss a truly great bang for the buck car (still a POS, but great bang for the buck indeed). If you look at where the SS won, it was the straights, NOT the turns, which is where the evo has always excelled. The X actually beat it out in every category except straightline speed, so the X was the better OVERALL performer (plus it's just a much better wuality car with a lot more potential for mods). Matter of fact, in the same test that the MR lost, the lap time that the MR put down on VIR was actually a couple of tenths FASTER than the evo 9 MRs record, so your almighty 9 actually lost to both these cars. What do you have to say to that? The 3 all have their unique strengths, and depending on the track, one will always come out on top because of that.

Power to weight will be favored on some tracks, while handling ability will overcome on others, and occasionally, one will overcome in a less than ideal environment i.e. the X beating the 9 on VIR... a track that FAVORS power to weight. You need to accept that the X is a great car, and whether you like it or not, it's beating CT9As all over the place. Ryan Gate's X is smashing records, beating out 8s and 9s in many of the venues that he's won, AMS won the USCC, beating out a more heavily modded evo 8 with MORE hp, and robispec setup X's are beating out more heavily modded 8s and 9s on many tracks. You can whine and make baseless claims all you want, but the facts speak for themselves. In any case, if you don't like the X, then stop trolling the X section. Nuff said.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Dec 20, 2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

lets not make this yet another IX v. X thread.

besides, why r u guys so weak and so easily offended? who cares what i personally think about the X, or what a couple of test results showed in a magazine? if u enjoy your X, enjoy it!
did u buy your X for me to approve, or for yourselves to enjoy?

if it was all based only on a popularity contest or public approval, none of us would have Evos to begin with. we would all have Camrys or 3 series bimmers
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

^ Back to my original question, have you test driven a X?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

lets not make this yet another IX v. X thread.

besides, why r u guys so weak and so easily offended? who cares what i personally think about the X, or what a couple of test results showed in a magazine? if u enjoy your X, enjoy it!
did u buy your X for me to approve, or for yourselves to enjoy?

if it was all based only on a popularity contest or public approval, none of us would have Evos to begin with. we would all have Camrys or 3 series bimmers
This has nothing to do with that. You ignored all of the facts that I presented because your baseless claims don't stand up to the facts. And for the record, you're right; I don't care what other people think, especially those that base their comments off of fanboyism for their own car and the subsequent dislike for something that they apparently feel threatened by. The point that I am making is that you make offbase, uninformed comments about the X and the fact is that it's setting all kinds of records in the racing world and proving itself to be a worthy successor to the CT9A whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Using the cobalt test as a means of discrediting the X is laughable, especially considering the fact is that in that same test where it lost to the SS, it was still faster than the evo 9's record, which again you have no response for. The cobalt is a light weight econo car with a lot of power and decent handling for a FWD car, but that's about it. The X is a much more well rounded car with superior hardware and far greater potential as a platform for race preparation, and if you have any misconceptions about that then you have much to learn.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Dec 20, 2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rehtea
While the current economy is a big factor, I agree that regardless of economy, Subaru has thrown down a major challenge and Mitsu has to respond. There's no way they can expect like $40K for Evo when the quicker WRX is only $26K. That's simple logic, regardless of economy.

Mitsu basically has 3 choices: go big, go cheap, or both. Lowering prices on Evo only destroys the brand value, imo, so Mitsu has to go big, and raise the power. I would like to see Evo with 400bhp from the factory. and upgrade the SST to handle at least 450tq. at same or slightly lower prices than 2008
The $40k X has an expensive feature the Subaru doesn't, and probably shouldn't be compared anyway if you're actually trying to be reasonable. $26k to $32k is not a giant jump for a better AWD system and 30 more HP. It's not much different than the pricing between Subaru's own WRX and $35k STI. I haven't seen any numbers that show the WRX as being quicker than the X. Hell, the 305hp STI still trails the X in everything except straightline acceleration, where it has a slight advantage.

In any case, Mitsubishi did have a response to the WRX. It was the Ralliart, and they botched it by giving it undersized, crappy wheels/tires that significantly hurt its performance in all categories in exchange for an expensive transmission. I hope they quickly learn this was a mistake and offer it with a cheaper 5spd.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

wasnt this thread about the delay of the 09? stay on topic....
Old Dec 20, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Old Dec 20, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
its kinda funny , how if some one has to say something bad about evo X, you are always there...

It is kinda funny.

With your personal negative opinion about the x is filled with this forum .

"besides, why r u guys so weak and so easily offended?"

Offended and being annoyed is two different thing as far as i know.
If you dont like the X that much, why are you here really?
The VIII -IX is below this part of the forum...

"if u enjoy your X, enjoy it!
did u buy your X for me to approve, or for yourselves to enjoy?"

Dont worry about it we do. DO you do a same with yours? It is a really logical question, since you are find here very often.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Seeing how I've asked twice if S6devil has even driven a X but gotten no response despite him responding to other posts after both, I think it's safe to say that he hasn't even driven the car... unless he wants to speak up and state otherwise.

Quick Reply: Theory on delay of 2009 Evo X