Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

lower intake temps? - winter review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lower intake temps? - winter review

om nom nom nom.

I gotta say this car rips through the snow. I was making up hills no problem in a good 2-3" of snow on the ground. It responds very well to some high quality snow tires (I have bridgestone blizzaks lm-25's).

For people looking to buy this car for all season peace of mind, I would definitely give it a thumbs up. I have had a scion tC (with snow tires) and an Audi A4 (with all seasons) and they get blown out of the water by this car. I was able to drive backwards out of about 6" of snow to get out of my driveway.

Just thought I would give my 2 cents... please feel free to post your comments about your experiences as well. I know alot of people in the northeast must have tested the X's capabilities these past few days!
Old Dec 20, 2008, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Does the snow do any damage to the front of the car?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks fun! Just make sure to park it in a garage at night so that the snow and dirt will melt off, then give it a good spray underneath so get all that gunk off the chassis and suspension components (there is most likely salt or mag chloride on the roads that the city puts down to help melt it down and make the roads less slick). The problem is that this tends to cause rust if left on for very long, and if nothing else, it dries out and rots rubber seals and allows dirt and grime to get into joints and boots and places it just shouldn't be. Anyway, have fun and be careful.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
what kind of hood is that? any pics laying around?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

seibon oem style CF hood

Old Dec 20, 2008, 06:25 PM

hahaha nice pic! Ill have to get some pics up of mine, it looks the same. Just got my car about 2 weeks ago and man, it is a BEAST in the snow. By far best car I've been in. I have all seasons rated well in the snow and it is amazing, easily drove through 5-6inches of driven over compacted thick snow, no problems. Just wish my garage was heated
Old Dec 20, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

I love it in the snow. So much fun.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Evo X with snowtires was my best experience in life unfortunately i sold my winter wheels
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WaitForIt
hahaha nice pic! Ill have to get some pics up of mine, it looks the same. Just got my car about 2 weeks ago and man, it is a BEAST in the snow. By far best car I've been in. I have all seasons rated well in the snow and it is amazing, easily drove through 5-6inches of driven over compacted thick snow, no problems. Just wish my garage was heated
What A/S are you on? I'm on Conti Extreme Contacts and they've been decent in both the dry and snow so far. And I hear you about the heated garage, I've been working for the past few hours and it's 11* out.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 01:10 AM
Evolving Member

im really diggin those fall pictures. What front lip is that? Factory?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Manboy
What A/S are you on? I'm on Conti Extreme Contacts and they've been decent in both the dry and snow so far. And I hear you about the heated garage, I've been working for the past few hours and it's 11* out.
Those are the exact ones I'm using, Ive gone through snow 3-4inches above my side skirts and bumper with no issues. And yes this winter storm thing sucks. Lake effect blows.

Cant wait til spring to have some real fun
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

I agree, we've been getting snow like every other day for the past 2 weeks. This thing is a snow beast with snow tires (I have Dunlop M3s)! The "snow" mode is just so much fun, it lets the back end get a little squirrelly, but due to the AWD, it straightens out right away. Take a turn a bit to fast and start to plow, the front outside tire gets a little ABS action and you are right on path. It's the best winter vehicle I've ever driven.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i messed around a little bit today in the slush/ice and i think it is much safer and easier to control by turning the asc off in snow mode. with it on you plow more imo.