Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Not even 500 Miles :(

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's possible that there is a leak in the power steering line. If you get air bubbles in your fluid, then the steering wheel will jutter and make noise until the bubbles are bled out. As far as the full lock comment, unless he were really forcing it hard at full lock then that wouldn't be the cause. Doing some drifitng and donuts aren't going to hurt anything unless it is done for sustained periods of time at redline. The only damage done from donuts is to the diffs; front, center/transfer case, and rear, and this damage is done because the diffs can overheat and boil fluid, causing lubrication failure and subsequent mechanical damage.

I really don't think that that's what happened here, as it doesn't sound like the OP took it that far. The guy's just out having some fun in his car, nothing more. The problem again, is most likely an issue with the power steering pump and/or a leak in his PS lines and air bubbles have entered the system. It will get fixed and the next time he goes out to have some fun, it'll be fine. The X's a great car, but like every car, can have issues from faulty assembly from a lazy assembly worker at the factory. The rear main seal of the tranny leaking is a good example of this.

There is nothing wrong with the design of the seal, but a few people have had clutches go out because fluid leaks from the faulty seal onto the clutch disk and causes it to slip excessively. Most likely, the seal wasn't lined up properly before the transmission was bolted together and well, there you have it. It gets fixed, and life goes on. While it's certainly possible that this is the OP's fault and he was cranking hard against the steering wheel stop at full lock and banging too hard from lock to lock, we don't know if that's what happened and we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Dec 23, 2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
I know general break in rules for the 4G63 based evos was keep the revs below 3500rpm for the first few thousand miles.
I don't think that is correct
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't ever drive your performance car...if a evo can't handle some donuts on ice than I might be getting rid of mine. Let me get out my owners manual to quote mitsubishi's suggestions on how I should drive my car. This guy was asking for opinions on what might be wrong with his car, not how everyone feels he should he should treat his car. I do agree with everyone when you say "if you want to play you need to pay". However, why is everyone so quick to bash people on these forums?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaliMR
I don't think that is correct

Really? You dont think?

I read it in a number of publications, and I can tell you this. I KNOW my car does not burn oil, and is on the very healthy side of stock power output...

To each is their own, but I took those precautions and avoided boost for the first few thousand miles, and have been rewarded because of this.

Heres on such article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...term_road_test

Sorry, I forgot, I went the first 1000 miles, not few thousand. I appologize, its been almost 4 years since that time.

Last edited by Tristar; Dec 23, 2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:28 AM

sucks
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:33 AM
Account Disabled

Dude I'm willing to bet that you have snow packed so heavily in your wheel wells that the travel of the rack is limited. This is very common in snow rally and other snow conditions that lend to accumulation in the wheel well, like donuts and driving in heavy snow.
Get a pick or a bat and get back there to get the snow out.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Ya that might be possible but still don't explain the bubbling sound behind the steering wheel. Either way I called the dealer and they said bring it in, so I'm jus hoping for the best
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

And no I wasn't mashing the wheel at full lock either, might just be a defect.... we buy an evo to drive a higgh power performance car, if I wasn't looking for that I would have kept my slow **** fwd eclipse lol.. so for those givin me benefit of the doubt thanks for the suggestions and tips bros !, for those bashing, does your evo leave your garage?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by kenpo1441
Don't ever drive your performance car...if a evo can't handle some donuts on ice than I might be getting rid of mine.

... why is everyone so quick to bash people on these forums?
Depends on the level of stupidity.
Many guys have been racing their Evos which is not normal use of the car. Racing puts lots of highly concentrated high G’s, stress, vibration, heat etc on the steering. But, this is the first complaint about a steering issue. This happened right after the guy messed around in the snow with a brand new car. It makes us all cringe.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by d3r3k
And no I wasn't mashing the wheel at full lock either, might just be a defect.... we buy an evo to drive a higgh power performance car, if I wasn't looking for that I would have kept my slow **** fwd eclipse lol.. so for those givin me benefit of the doubt thanks for the suggestions and tips bros !, for those bashing, does your evo leave your garage?
High performance cars break if abused.

Yes, my Evo leaves the garage. It actually has been to autocrosses and track days too. I have never pulled donuts with it though, for fear of breaking a diff or something else.

I have to ask, was the steering bad before the donuts?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

i would never do donuts on concrete but in the snow thats a different story, also never in full lock
Old Dec 23, 2008, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

sorry, but i'm with some of the others... who has 500 miles on a car and is already doing stuff like that to it? Dumb.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

I cant believe people are talking about breaking in the motor. Obviously not alot of you guys know about breaking in a motor, but the break in period should be EXACTLY like the car is going to be driven full time. Meaning if you're going to beat on the car daily, you should beat on it to break it in, and I've got plenty of proof to back this. Also a power steering pump shouldn't go bad in 500miles even if you drift it from the day you got it.

Take it back to Mitsubishi, yeah its a pain in the *** but they will fix it.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pure Playaer
I cant believe people are talking about breaking in the motor. Obviously not alot of you guys know about breaking in a motor, but the break in period should be EXACTLY like the car is going to be driven full time. Meaning if you're going to beat on the car daily, you should beat on it to break it in, and I've got plenty of proof to back this. Also a power steering pump shouldn't go bad in 500miles even if you drift it from the day you got it.

Take it back to Mitsubishi, yeah its a pain in the *** but they will fix it.
everyone has their opinions on how a car should be broken in.. the owners manual says the car shouldn't be taken over 5 grand or something along that line... i'm sure the makers of the car know more about their motors than you do... but either way many times people do that to a car with having 500 miles on it aren't really interested in taking care of it and it having a long life.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Really? You dont think?

I read it in a number of publications, and I can tell you this. I KNOW my car does not burn oil, and is on the very healthy side of stock power output...

To each is their own, but I took those precautions and avoided boost for the first few thousand miles, and have been rewarded because of this.

Heres on such article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...term_road_test

Sorry, I forgot, I went the first 1000 miles, not few thousand. I appologize, its been almost 4 years since that time.
i had an evo 8 and i waited until 350 miles until i went WOT, and then i beat the hell outta it. i traded it in with 47k miles and it didnt burn oil and ran perfect, still pulled like it did on "day 1". the whole break in thing... its all theory.

in fact, i know two people who both got the same bikes on the same day. one beat it out the box, and the other took it easy for a little. year or so later, they race and the one that was beat on, is a little faster.

back OT...

i think the problem is user-error.

Quick Reply: Not even 500 Miles :(